Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#70533 - 06/03/03 11:30 AM Neah Bay Lake report
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
Fished Neah Bay lake last week and also Juan de Fuca Lake for bottom fish.

While I never got to try the texas rigged worms.... beats me why... I did get to throw a lot of regular jig heads and a couple of weedless ones.

We started out fishing freshwater spinning outfits loaded with 8 lb test. Found it kinda hard on some of the fish as they liked doing loop de loops around kelp fronds.

So, shortly thereafter we switched to the casting rods with 14 lb test and a bit stiffer rod tips.

I tried getting out to Tatoosh and a spot close to it that Easy Limits id'd for me. Tatoosh was a little bouncy, popcorn water is what I call it, so we didn't even turn the motor off, just turned around and started back. Carl gave me the location of a good bass spot. Turned out when we got there the bass were visiting relatives and not home.

So, bottom line was most of our catching was done down at Seal and Sail rocks. That place held "black bass", greenlings, cabezon, lings and other assorted spiny-type bottom fish. When it was windy I left lots of jig heads hung in the kelp as I couldn't cast parallel to the fronds.

Finally towards the end of the trip I bought a couple of weedless jig heads over at the General Store. Thought those things wouldn't last any longer than the unprotected heads I was currently using. Boy was I in for a surpise. After I got over being cautious I ended up casting them into the thickest kelp patches and kept bouncing those jigs right back out. One time the jig didn't bounce right back at me as a 10 lb ling was in real shallow and wanted that jig more than I did. Well, that's what he thought as he ended up in the boat.

I fished white worms, a greenish colored worm, red and pinkish ones, and also red and black skirts on the jigs to simulate crab. Only ones that seemed to hold an edge over the others was the white worms. Don't know if that was because I fished them more, or if the color white is a better color for fishing shallow.

One more thing I played with was tipping the hook with a small sliver of squid. Seemed that once the fish grabbed that jig and worm combo it didn't spit it out and kept holding it because of the squid.

That's the Neah Bay lake fishing report.

Only other thing of note was a fellow fisherman when asked to show me his fish, stuck his fingers in the mouth of a cabezon to raise it up. He found out cabezon had teeth that would dig into said fingers, and I watched him trying to shake the fish off... just like crabs that nip fingers. Afterwards he was bandaging bleeding fingers.

#70534 - 06/03/03 02:24 PM Re: Neah Bay Lake report
ltlCLEO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: brownsville wa.
I have always wanted to do that.Seems that I have heard that fly rods can be a kick too!One of these days I will get out there.That is some of best eating fish around according to my taste buds any ways next to sea run cuttys.

spiny sons of guns to clean though!

#70535 - 06/03/03 04:48 PM Re: Neah Bay Lake report
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Good to have finally met you Zen. We also had a good outing at Neah Bay (Lake). laugh

My friends boat has an inboard jet motor. We got a little too close to some kelp and sucked some up in to the jet. Good thing I was wearing my chest waders because I had to go for a swim to get the kelp out of the bucket of the jet.

That story does not beat the story of some of my other friends, three boats at the same time, almost getting run over by a Russian freighter out in the middle of the Strait. I guess the freighter was so close they could touch it. eek

#70536 - 06/04/03 01:06 PM Re: Neah Bay Lake report
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Sorry to have not meet you guys out there. We had one hour period at Duncan where we boated 20 black bass and two lings. Some of the black bass weighed 7 lbs. We were using cheapo lead jigs, usually white. Going back out 4th of July.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#70537 - 06/05/03 11:37 AM Re: Neah Bay Lake report
Spawner

Jerry,

I tried getting out to Duncan two days... both days it was a little too bouncy for me... so I hit the rocks in front of your camp.

Never caught you guys in camp at Snow Creek.

#70538 - 06/05/03 12:56 PM Re: Neah Bay Lake report
Jerry Garcia Offline

We would usually get back about 6 or so, then spend an hour filleting fish!!

Lonnie Gane

#70539 - 06/05/03 02:17 PM Re: Neah Bay Lake report
Spawner

Jerry,

I had mine cleaned lots faster than that! I can teach you how I did that... but it would require releasing fish on your part.... smile

or.... was it catching less fish on my part frown

#70540 - 06/05/03 05:46 PM Re: Neah Bay Lake report
Jerry Garcia Offline

Are you going out there again this summer?

Lonnie Gane

#70541 - 06/05/03 06:04 PM Re: Neah Bay Lake report
Spawner

We're going back July 10th - 14th for some king fishing. Hopefully some king catching too.

That might be my last trip out there this year.

May have an August trip to Sekiu... or maybe Neah Bay again, depending on what the silvers are doing.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bucktail, Richard E.
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 328 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |