Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#701217 - 08/29/11 05:31 PM Puget Sound crab closing Send in CRC data
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim

Most of Puget Sound closing to crabbing; summer catch reports due by Oct. 1

OLYMPIA - Most areas of Puget Sound will close to recreational crab fishing at sunset on Labor Day, with summer catch reports due by Oct. 1.

The only two areas of the Sound that will remain open to crab fishing after Labor Day are marine areas 7-North and 7-South near the San Juan Islands. Sport fishers who crab in those two areas from Sept. 5-30 must record their catch on winter catch record cards.

All sport fishers licensed to fish for Dungeness crab anywhere in Puget Sound are required to submit summer catch reports to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) by Oct. 1.
"Catch reports play a major role in determining how much crab is still available for harvest during the winter season," said Rich Childers, WDFW’s shellfish policy lead. "It’s important that we receive reports from everyone licensed to fish for crab in Puget Sound - whether or not they caught crab this year."

Childers said WDFW will announce winter crab seasons for Puget Sound in early October, after completing its assessment of the summer fishery.

Crabbers can submit catch record cards to WDFW by mail at CRC Unit, 600 Capitol Way N., Olympia, WA 98501-1091. They can also report their catch online at http://bit.ly/WkXeA from Sept. 5 through Oct. 1.

Crabbers who fail to file their catch reports on time will face a $10 fine when they purchase a 2012 Puget Sound crab endorsement.
Sport crabbers who fish for Dungeness crab in any area of Puget Sound after Sept. 5 should record their catches on winter catch record cards, Childers said. Winter cards are now available at sporting good stores and other license vendors across the state.
For more information about recreational crabbing in Puget Sound, see WDFW's website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/crab/

#702746 - 09/07/11 04:41 PM Re: Puget Sound crab closing Send in CRC data [Re: bushbear]
donno Offline
The Cool kid

Loc: baker prairie
ttt

#702762 - 09/07/11 06:10 PM Re: Puget Sound crab closing Send in CRC data [Re: ]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

Loc: Grays Harbor
Just a suggestion, make photo copies of your cards just in case they say you didn't send them in. Easier to prove if you have a copy. I think someone said or I was told my fisheries in Olympia that you can check your return status online somewhere.

#702766 - 09/07/11 06:37 PM Re: Puget Sound crab closing Send in CRC data [Re: fish_4_all]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
Does Rico have to report the crab that the Tribal crabber stole from his pots?

Just askin... stir

#702773 - 09/07/11 07:05 PM Re: Puget Sound crab closing Send in CRC data [Re: IrishRogue]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Off subject a bit but any word yet on possible changes to Mr. Childers' initial plan to have non-tribal commercials start on 1 October BEFORE the results of the summer recreational season are tabulated?

That plan also has the winter recreational season starting on the second Saturday of October AFTER the results of the summer recreational season are tabulated and it is confirmed that there are sufficient quantities in the respective management areas for the winter recreational season and how much, if any, will be available for the commercials.

THE ISSUE: What happens if the results of that final tabulation confirms that there is insufficient quantity left in any one management area for a full winter season let alone a commercial season? That concern was expressed by the responsible shellfish bio for MA 8-1, 8-2 and 9 at the last Shellfish Advisory Group meeting who stated that the commercials commonly take half of their allocation in the first couple weeks of their season meaning they could take all of the recreational winter crab and possibly be into the tribal share before the summer count is complete. And if that were to occur the "make it right" choices would probably be (1) increase the total allowable catch so any affected tribe(s)'s share would increase or (2) make it up next year out of the recreational share.

I distinctly remember the Commission and Staff both saying they were going to approach this first year of the new policy in a conservative manner. If they haven't already made a change they have only three weeks left to do so.....

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#702793 - 09/07/11 08:57 PM Re: Puget Sound crab closing Send in CRC data [Re: IrishRogue]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Originally Posted By: IrishRogue
Does Rico have to report the crab that the Tribal crabber stole from his pots?

Just askin... stir

Thats a good one!

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#702895 - 09/08/11 10:00 AM Re: Puget Sound crab closing Send in CRC data [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Waterboy Offline
Returning Adult

How come WDFW doesn't send out a email reminder? I get an email just about every day from WDFW for some rule change. You would think it would be pretty easy to send out a reminder to turn your summer crab catch card in?????????????????????

#702909 - 09/08/11 10:47 AM Re: Puget Sound crab closing Send in CRC data [Re: Waterboy]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Because they like 10$. Don't you like 10$?
I want to be a fisherman.

#702910 - 09/08/11 10:49 AM Re: Puget Sound crab closing Send in CRC data [Re: GodLovesUgly]
Waterboy Offline
Returning Adult

Me thinks so.

#703099 - 09/09/11 12:05 AM Re: Puget Sound crab closing Send in CRC data [Re: Waterboy]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach

#703692 - 09/12/11 05:07 PM Re: Puget Sound crab closing Send in CRC data [Re: IrishRogue]
One Way Offline
Call me Sir

Loc: San Rafael, Ca. & Whidbey Isla...
I do believe the individuals who had the crab in their possession should/ did punch their cards... I mean come on, it is the right thing to do... Rico should not be on the hook for this....

#707310 - 09/30/11 12:43 AM Re: Puget Sound crab closing Send in CRC data [Re: ]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Last call for all sportfishers.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |