Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#709813 - 10/12/11 03:52 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: stonefish]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: The Rock
Longer rods make it easier for me to retrieve my hung down spinnerz...

Other than that you make a good point.

#709830 - 10/12/11 04:23 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: ]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Originally Posted By: Chuck S.
Longer rods absorb more stress which equates to less fatique on the angler. True or false?

False.

Unless you're playing fish more often then you're casting. wink

Last I checked, longer rods still weigh more than shorter rods.

It might be true to say that longer rods which absorb more stress are more forgiving for novices when playing a fish though.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#709831 - 10/12/11 04:28 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: ]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
Longer rods absorb more stress which equates to less fatique on the angler. True or false?

False. The fulcrum is farther from the center of gravity on a long rod. Plus, long rods are heavier. The result is more fatigue.

#709860 - 10/12/11 05:43 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: Mooch]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Mooch
[quote=Chuck S.]
It might be true to say that longer rods which absorb more stress are more forgiving for novices when playing a fish though.

They absorb impact better when Mr. Big is putting the moves on you (ie. headshaking) and they are more forgiving for anyone, not just novices.

#709861 - 10/12/11 05:49 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: ]
steelwacker Offline
Smolt

longer rod makes better hook sets because of the line pick up. they cast lighter lures better. fights fish better

#709863 - 10/12/11 05:53 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: Wild Chrome]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: Wild Chrome

False. The fulcrum is farther from the center of gravity on a long rod. Plus, long rods are heavier. The result is more fatigue.

If the rod and reel are weight-matched the fulcrum is very close to the reel. When trying to make long casts the shorter rod will work you more than a longer rod.
The longer rod will will load and release energy more efficiently.
The short rod requires more "arm" to make the long cast.

Since the longer rod weighs more this could be a wash, although in my experience the longer rod wins.
This is 7'-9" vs. 9'-6".

#709864 - 10/12/11 06:01 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Good points.

Im not a fan of long rods myself. A friend keeps trying to convince me they absorb more shock.

I think that they do. Monofilament absorbs shock and a long rod is just an extension or supplement to that.

Quote:
I tried to explain to him they create less ability to control the fish and therefore you fight them longer = more pain to angler.

Well yeah, if you're talkin' a noodle rod with super-light line.

Quote:

Nobody is using 10ft rods for over size sturgeon and that tells me something.

They actually are....bankies have been using surf rods since forever for the beasts.
From the boat with with 2# - 3# cannonballs, yes, it's easier to build a short blank for that task.

#709866 - 10/12/11 06:14 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: Direct-Drive]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
The fulcrum is the pivot point where you hold the reel. It doesn't change with the size of the reel. The center of gravity does change, but that only changes significantly if you old the rod in front of the reel, as on a fly rod. (ie adding weight with a heavier reel to counterweight the rod only works with fly rods)

#709867 - 10/12/11 06:20 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: Direct-Drive]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive
[quote=Mooch][quote=Chuck S.]
They absorb impact better when Mr. Big is putting the moves on you (ie. headshaking) and they are more forgiving for anyone, not just novices.

I'm talking river coho from a BOAT here, not nursing mealy-mouthed humpies, dogging bull dog chum, coaxing sulking kings or running down riffle-running jehosaphat-jumping steelhead from shore. The only moves coho are making that I'm concerned about from the boat are them getting into cover and doing their death twirl at the net. Other than that, no quarter and nothing a good "billy bass" hookset on 15-20# test leader, butt muscle and a good drag won't fix. Milking coho creates more opportunity for them to get off than an unforgiving rod ever has IME.

Originally Posted By: steelwacker
longer rod makes better hook sets because of the line pick up. they cast lighter lures better. fights fish better

I like fighting fish with a longer rod too, but a longer softer rod does NOT necessarily give better hook sets than a bass rod, IMO. A rod's speed (action) in combination with length makes the hook setting difference, not length alone. Most bass rods are a whole lot faster than most of the long steelhead rods being used out there.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#709874 - 10/12/11 06:53 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: Wild Chrome]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

The fulcrum is the pivot point where you hold the reel. It doesn't change with the size of the reel. The center of gravity does change, but that only changes significantly if you old the rod in front of the reel, as on a fly rod. (ie adding weight with a heavier reel to counterweight the rod only works with fly rods)

Call it balance point, if it's close to the reel, it's a good thing.
I'm thinking in terms of baitcaster.

Agree, a "tip-heavy" rig is a turd and a extremely taxing when repetitive casting is the order of the day.
9'-6" is about max for me, maybe someday I'll find a 10' or 10'-6" that doesn't feel tip-heavy.

#709876 - 10/12/11 06:57 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: Mooch]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: Mooch
[quote=Mooch][quote=Chuck S.]

I'm talking river coho from a BOAT here, not nursing mealy-mouthed humpies, dogging bull dog chum, coaxing sulking kings or running down riffle-running jehosaphat-jumping steelhead from shore. The only moves coho are making that I'm concerned about from the boat are them getting into cover and doing their death twirl at the net. Other than that, no quarter and nothing a good "billy bass" hookset on 15-20# test leader, butt muscle and a good drag won't fix. Milking coho creates more opportunity for them to get off than forgiving rods ever will.

I think I've only caught about 3 coho in my life, my reference point is steelhead.

#709918 - 10/12/11 10:44 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: Direct-Drive]
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
I gotta go with the short fast BPS rod crowd on this....when I've fished for silvers, steel, whatever with spinning tackle and jigs, spinners or thin-blade spoons from a boat in a river, the shorter rod helped me detect the strikes better, slam the point home faster and land the fish just as quick. That is some fun schitt.......I like a TFO 8-17 lb, 7 foot 3 pc rod, 30 lb braid and 15 lb fluoro leader for this application........

Edited by Mingo (10/12/11 10:45 PM)

#711282 - 10/19/11 06:00 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: Mingo]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
For the short rod fans, these just became available today.
http://www.tforods.com/garys-tactical-series.html

#711297 - 10/19/11 07:06 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: ]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA

Call it balance point, if it's close to the reel, it's a good thing.
I'm thinking in terms of baitcaster.

Agree, a "tip-heavy" rig is a turd and a extremely taxing when repetitive casting is the order of the day.
9'-6" is about max for me, maybe someday I'll find a 10' or 10'-6" that doesn't feel tip-heavy.

Exactly why I just got rid of another Certified pro 9' 6"er ... I am going back to 8' 6 or less wink

Agree 100%. I have yet to find a rod over 9' that doesn't feel tip-heavy.

#711299 - 10/19/11 07:19 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
NorCal...Check out the new Lamiglas Mag taper XMG EXC 94 MT, it's 9'4" rated 8-17...such a great rod I got two.

#711339 - 10/19/11 10:48 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: Sky-Guy]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
You can counter balance a tip-heavy feel of a longer rod by adding weight to the butt.

#711354 - 10/19/11 11:39 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: large edward]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Originally Posted By: large edward
You can counter balance a tip-heavy

feel of a longer rod by adding weight to the butt.

True but then the whole setup becomes heavier. Wish rod manufacturers would move their reel seats accordingly so the rod balances with today's light weight reels.

#711357 - 10/19/11 11:52 PM Re: Why long rods? [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

If you're of the spinning persuasion, the Fuji CAM lock is a great product to allow the user to locate the reel anywhere along the handle.
It's the updated version of the simple ring.
I have a custom spinning rig w/CAM locks that is built on an original USA Fenwick HMG 9' - 8 wt.
Sweet stick that bends to your hand and can protect 6# test.
(graphite tubular handle)

For baitcasters (me) it's a custom build or shear luck with a factory.

Scroll to CAM lock:
http://www.fujitackle.com.au/fujireel.htm

#711850 - 10/21/11 10:28 AM Re: Why long rods? [Re: Direct-Drive]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
I just picked up a Cabelas "Fish Eagle" casting 8 - 15#, 10 '...... $59.00...sale priced but sale is now off. It'll work for me!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#711862 - 10/21/11 10:55 AM Re: Why long rods? [Re: DrifterWA]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
I just picked up a Cabelas "Fish Eagle" casting 8 - 15#, 10 '...... $59.00...sale priced but sale is now off. It'll work for me!!!!!!

That's one of the best deals out there, and it happens every year...heck, buy it online during the deal and they send it to you in a locking rod tube that's worth more than half the price of the rod!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 376 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |