Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#71576 - 04/13/04 09:57 PM Fishing for Smallmouth
Fish Seeker Offline
Parr

Loc: Centralia, WA
Having never fished for smallies before, I need some help. What is the best way to fish for them? Help on baits, lures, rigs, locations (not specific spots but what to look for) would all be appreciated. Thanks.

FS

#71577 - 04/14/04 09:50 AM Re: Fishing for Smallmouth
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
I don't know of any smallmouth water in your area other than perhaps Silver Lake, but maybe that is more of a largemouth lake. Best places for smallies? Banks Lake, Potholes, and Sammamish are my favorite places. Best lures: Yamamato twin tail jigs. But there is nothing like a 3# smallie crushing a rattletrap being retrieved quickly. Good luck! thumbs

#71578 - 04/14/04 12:56 PM Re: Fishing for Smallmouth
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
they're all over riffe lake. black lake here in thurston co. and lake tapps have them too

i usually fish a 1/4 or 1/8oz jig with a 2" or 3" curly tail grub. find rockpiles and flats, that's where they'll be.

#71579 - 04/16/04 01:23 AM Re: Fishing for Smallmouth
JohnnyDeep Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton WA
fish seeker
Mayfield and Riffe are where you want to try first, A good way to get started is to Texas rig a night crawler below a bobber so it just hangs above the bottom.... Then find any grassy or weedy area with an opening and try to keep the worm in the hole..
A great place to start is the Riffe Lake Boat ramp access road off of fern gap, Or the county park on the mossyrock end.

#71580 - 04/16/04 04:36 PM Re: Fishing for Smallmouth
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
fishing curly tail jigs in the rocky areas where the cowlitz runs into riffe is a surefire way to get into the smallies

#71581 - 04/18/04 11:17 PM Re: Fishing for Smallmouth
IC Fish Offline
Smolt

Loc: Monroe
I have found smallmouths to love crawdads. Caught a lot on black/brown jigs and crankbaits in crawdad colors. Middle Columbia around Vantage area and Banks Lake are very good spots to try banana

#71582 - 04/18/04 11:26 PM Re: Fishing for Smallmouth
IC Fish Offline
Smolt

Something I just saw off the Mardon Resort Website. Take with a grain of salt, Things always seem more optimistic than reality.

FRENCHMAN'S WASTEWAY
Yakima residents Jackie and Mike Gaudette trolled between the mouth of Frenchman's and Blythe Point boat launch with plugs. They hooked 10 smallmouth to 5 lb. 8 oz. They had their best smallmouth day so far but it's early in the season.

Darleen Maahs of Federal Way fished the mouth of Frenchman's with crawlers where she caught a 10 lb. channel catfish and a 5 lb. 8 oz. smallmouth bass.
--------------------
There's only one left, Good I'll take it.

#71583 - 04/19/04 02:19 PM Re: Fishing for Smallmouth
Sunland Offline
Alevin

Loc: Seattle
IC Fish,

What time of year and day do you fish around Vantage? I've tried numerous times North of the bridge and have had no luck.... other than squaw fish. Any hints you have would be great!

Thanks!

Dan

#71584 - 04/19/04 10:21 PM Re: Fishing for Smallmouth
Fish Seeker Offline
Parr

Loc: Centralia, WA
Thanks for all the help. It appears that I will start with grubs and crayfish crankbaits. It also looks like rocky areas are the way to go, so that is where I will start. I had no idea Black Lk and Mayfield had smallmouths, so I will try there as well. Is it hard to fish Mayfield in the summer with waterskiers? Once again thanks.

FS

#71585 - 04/19/04 11:16 PM Re: Fishing for Smallmouth
IC Fish Offline
Smolt

Sunland,

Go down South of the bridge. Where Crab Creek dumps in the river is a good spot from shore. Casting black jigs tipped with a nightcrawler has always worked well there for me. Farther south is the Buck Shot area. Great area for some big smallmouths from shore also. If you have a boat launch at Buck Shot and hit any rocky areas along the shorelines. Spring and Fall are the best times. Go soon as things tapper off close to shore for the bank fisherman.

Good Luck smile

#71586 - 04/20/04 06:04 PM Re: Fishing for Smallmouth
Sunland Offline
Alevin

Loc: Seattle
IC Fish,

Is Crab Creek on the south side of Wanapum Dam? I'm not familiar with Crab Creek??? I was hoping to find a place North of Wanapum Dam as I have some property North of the dam.

Thanks!

Dan

#71587 - 04/20/04 11:54 PM Re: Fishing for Smallmouth
IC Fish Offline
Smolt

Sunland,

Crab Creek is South of Wanapum. There are some areas I've heard where the old highway goes down into the river North of I-90 that has some good fishing.

A friend last year caught several smallmouths along the freeway as it goes out into the river. He was slow trolling a mepps minnow eek Squaw Fish will also be caught anywhere in the Wanapum Pool.

I've fished some of the bays North of the I-90 bridge up to the Sunland area. I assume thats where your property is at. I caught perch and both small smallmouth and largemouth bass in them.

Good Luck!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 310 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645367 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |