Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#72685 - 08/06/05 07:39 PM Primer Bulb Won't Get Hard
Poacher Hater Offline
Fry

I just bought a new gas tank and using the old connections and tubing/primber bulb the bulb wouldn't get hard thus no gas getting to outboard. I then bought a new primber bulb and same problem!!!!!! Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

#72686 - 08/07/05 11:38 AM Re: Primer Bulb Won't Get Hard
SnoHoh Offline
Smolt

Loc: Everett
Had that problem once, I messed around with new primer bulb retightening the connections, everthing. finaly i just went and bought new hose and it wroked. "my guess is it had a pin hole in it" maybe yours dose to. Hope this helps Good luck

#72687 - 08/07/05 11:43 AM Re: Primer Bulb Won't Get Hard
kjackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Townend, WA
You did open the vent on the tank, right? Sometimes "we" forget those simple things, not that I ever have...

Two other thoughts...first, there is a check valve in the system to keep gas going to the motor and preventing backflow. It is often in the primer bulb. Did you install it following the direction of the arrows on the bulb? The second check valve is (I think) in the fitting at the tank, designed to keep gas from flowing back into the tank (or maybe just to keep it from leaking when the hose is disconnected. If both of those locked open, then you wouldn't be able to maintain pressure. But the simplest thing is as suggested-- an air leak somewhere.

Keith

#72688 - 08/07/05 08:32 PM Re: Primer Bulb Won't Get Hard
TRAUT Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: HIDING
I've noticed that nearly all the Tempo brand primer bulbs have leaky check valves. Generally not leaking bad enough to cause serious problems though.

Try holding the bulb vertically when squeezing it, with the line to the motor up. This lets gravity help seal the check valve.

Also, depending on the outboard, the float in the carbuerater might not be shuting off, but you'd be flooding the engine if that happens.

I was told by an Evinrude mechanic that the bulb doesn't need to be rock hard, but just firm enough to ensure that the fuel line is full and the carb bowl has fuel. Once the engine starts, the fuel pump draws the fuel through the line.

#72689 - 08/08/05 08:45 PM Re: Primer Bulb Won't Get Hard
Poacher Hater Offline
Fry

The bulb was backwards!!!!!!!! Live and learn!

Thanks

#72690 - 08/09/05 12:14 AM Re: Primer Bulb Won't Get Hard
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
Been there, done that! rofl

#72691 - 08/09/05 11:09 AM Re: Primer Bulb Won't Get Hard
kjackson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Port Townend, WA
I discovered the need to orient the bulb in the right direction while doing a boat test where we had to tear apart the fuel line to install the gauges....it took forever to discover our error (there were two of us working on the test). Fortunately, there were no other witnesses....

Glad it was an easy and inexpensive fix.

Keith

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |