THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#728968 - 12/29/11 01:59 AM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

OK.... one more.

Been organizing literally hundreds of pics from three different cameras for days and just ran into this jaw dropper that I simply had to share.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#728971 - 12/29/11 02:36 AM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: eyeFISH]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Bueno!

You have seen the light. Pun intended. Good stuff Doc.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#728975 - 12/29/11 08:57 AM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: ColeyG]
Happy Birthday Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
I'll play...

And one that Todd sent me a while back that I put a slight tweak on. Ryley, is this your pic?

#729042 - 12/29/11 03:26 PM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: eyeFISH]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
OK, I'll try a few. I like to shoot some fairly mono-chromatic color images and silhouttes, which convert pretty well to B&W using the B&W setting in the file menu in photoshop. Usually the contrast needs to be increased somewhat and the black level increase by using the slider.

I did these pretty quickly so they may not be perfect, but I thought I'd take Doc's challenge and post some from Icy Bay north of Yakutat.

Attachments
_DSC0987BWPP.jpg

_DSC1219.BWPPjpg (106 downloads)
_DSC1240BWPP.jpg

_DSC1365BWPP.jpg

DSC_6511BWPP.jpg

DSC_6615BWPP.jpg

_DSC1489BWPP.jpg

Edited by Sebastes (12/29/11 03:48 PM)

#729044 - 12/29/11 03:29 PM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: Twitch]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Bridge in the fog is MONEY, Twitch!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#729059 - 12/29/11 04:02 PM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: Sebastes]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Awesome Sebastes! Gorgeous.

All dandy, but Mt. St Elias reflection, the coho headshot, and the camp fire thumbs

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#729069 - 12/29/11 04:18 PM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: ColeyG]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Whoops, I accidentally deleted the campfire shot while editing,

Trying again

Attachments
DSC_6635BWPP.jpg

#729089 - 12/29/11 05:42 PM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: Sebastes]
bota2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Allyn
My attempts

Edited by bota2 (12/29/11 06:30 PM)

#729105 - 12/29/11 07:15 PM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: bota2]
kwikfiks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Poundtown

#729119 - 12/29/11 07:50 PM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: ColeyG]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: ColeyG
Awesome Sebastes! Gorgeous.

All dandy, but Mt. St Elias reflection, the coho headshot, and the camp fire thumbs

+1

The nod goes to St Elias for me.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#729122 - 12/29/11 08:10 PM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Coley and Sebastes...

What do you guys have to say about the aberration/artifact commonly referred to as "posterization"?

Read a little bit about it in that link you posted for "curves". After seeing the photo example of what posterization actually looks like, I know exactly what they mean.

Now that I have this new HD monitor at the office, I see this "posterization" artifact on a lot of the pics, especially over broad monotone fields like open sky. (Doug's Mt St Elias and Campfire, kwikfix's Angler Looking Skyward, several of Twitch's River in the Fog shots, Coley's Mountaintop shots)

I can look at these same pics on my home computer and do NOT see the same effect. Is this just an artifact of the HD screen or is my old monitor just too dumb to pick it up? Curious to know if any of you have seen the "posterization" effect in an actual printed version of these same pics?

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#729128 - 12/29/11 08:31 PM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: eyeFISH]
SeaDNA Offline
Returning Adult

If we're not restricted to fishing photos - here's a few of my favorite B&W's from a trip to Prague a few years ago.

#729130 - 12/29/11 08:39 PM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: eyeFISH]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

I have noticed the same thing in viewing the one image over a range of monitors or displays. Colors will manifest differently as well as monitors are often calibrated different from one another, if at all.

My first guess is that it is that the posterization you are seeing is more of a factor of the tonal range or some characteristic of your monitor rather than the image it is trying to display. In not knowing much about how monitors and displays work, I suspect that they have some sort of range limit or built in tonal compression of sorts as a matter of efficiency or expense saving, but that is a wild guess really. It could also be a factor of dot pitch.

With regard to differences between computer based viewing and printing, bear in mind that monitors can only display 72 or 96 pixels per inch where as you would need to start at about 300dpi for a decent print.

I have never noticed or had a problem with posterization in any of my prints, but then I don't tend to manipulate curves much if at all and I always print at maximum resolution for the desired print size.

I have however had a problem when creating graphics and effects that feature some sort of a faded appearance or graduated color effect. I used to use a program called Fireworks for web based and printing image manipulation and if I exported an image at a fairly low resolution I would get fairly obvious posterization, particularly in printed form. Very similar to what is shown here:

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#729137 - 12/29/11 08:59 PM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: ColeyG]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
I admit that I *FAIL* in the picture editing department. So for you experts out there, is there anyway to fix this sumbitch? rofl

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#729138 - 12/29/11 09:06 PM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: eyeFISH]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Here are a few other Icy Bay shots most by Sebastes.

[

Edited by Dave Vedder (12/29/11 09:07 PM)

#729141 - 12/29/11 09:20 PM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: NOFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: NOFISH
I admit that I *FAIL* in the picture editing department. So for you experts out there, is there anyway to fix this sumbitch? rofl

Now that was just uncool NoPhish!

Funnier'n'hell, yes.... but definitely uncool.

Bucket's one helluva guy.... an assessment that is echoed by many. I still gotta find a way to get that dude in my boat one of these days.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#729142 - 12/29/11 09:21 PM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: Dave Vedder]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

For some reason a chunk of these photos weren't loading for me earlier.

Twitch, coupla dandy's in that batch dude!

The Prague reflections is pretty stinkin cool as well.

NOFISH, that is pretty terrifying. As for how to fix it, tell bucket to pull his bottom lip over his head and swallow real hard.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#729143 - 12/29/11 09:23 PM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: SeaDNA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Smokes alive SeaDNA.... you've got serious shutter skills!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#729146 - 12/29/11 09:35 PM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: ColeyG]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Doc,

I'm not a really technical photographer, I have always joked that it is a wonder that I could get film inside a camera, now it is what side of the media card do I stick in this thingy door?

Coley hits it pretty well. Monitors, Calibration,over-use of adjustment tools can all effect what you see.

This link will give you an idea about posterization.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/posterization.htm

Keep in mind that what we upload on sites like PP are really low resolution in comparison to the camera output and even more so between using RAW files and 16 bit instead of jpg and 8 bit.

16 bit gives smoother looking files, but does is not available to my knowledge in jpg format.

If you made a legal size paper print of a file as downloaded from your camera on photo paper, it will look much better than a 72ppi image prepared for PP.

Some processing methods are less/more destructive than others.

It is less destructive to use curves, than brightness/contrast on a jpg image.

You want to avoid the jaggies in levels as much as possible.

That is the advantage of shooting and adjusting RAW images over jpg shot files. In actuality, it is pretty hard to see the difference in a printed piece,but RAW gives you much more control without destructing the image.

Take the same jpg image and compare the results using Curves versus
Brightness/Contrast.

I believe you should see no or fewer spikes in the levels after adjusting in curves than brightness/contrast or some of the other adjustment choices, especially the automated ones.

Hope this helps.

BTW,

SEA-DNA looks like he really has the B&W conversion thing right on as well as having nice images.

This has turned out to be a very nice thread.

Edited by Sebastes (12/29/11 09:38 PM)

#729150 - 12/29/11 09:47 PM Re: Momma don't take my KodaCHROME away! [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

A few parting shots and I will tap out.

A couple of these were shot in B&W, a few I have just wondered how they would look.

Battle scarred Kasilof Chinark

Glory hole above the Makaroa river, New Zealand.

NW Fork of the Tokositna below Peaks 11,520, 11,530 and Mount Hunter, AK Range. (should see some posterization in this one as it is a low res scan from slide film)

Mount Shuksan from Table Mountain, North Cascades, WA

Hub cap bus reflection, Christchurch, New Zealand.

Mount Foraker Massif from 17,200' on Denali's West Buttress

Flying rat on the way back to the docks, Seward, AK

Dirt jumping at the Whistler Mountain bike park, Whistler, BC

My back yard, the Talkeetna river joins the Big Susitna.

Wind swept tree on Stony Peak, Akaroa, New Zealand.

Back to the land of color for me, I find it much more...Grand!

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (steely slammer, wolverine, 2 invisible), 941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645366 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |