Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#729147 - 12/29/11 09:40 PM Re: Camo suggestions? [Re: Rocket Red]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
as far as boots are concerned, i couldn't be happier with my danner hawks. they're USA made, have the bob sole, and have the wider footbed that their work boots usually come with(compared to their "classic" hunting boots like the grouse, hood winter, canadian etc). the "D" width fits my wide feet really well.

they also needed very little in the way of break-in. the day i brought them home i ran down to the bluff hole on the hump, walked down and back in them, and didn't even feel like taking them off when i got home! 2 weeks later i spent the majority of rifle season walking sidehills on the eastside and they were unbelievably comfortable.

i'm not a big camoflauge guy, if it's warm i usually wear army BDU pants from thrift shops, if it's cold i like wool military surplus pants. if i were to pick a pattern for deer hunting, i think that realtree AP would fit the bill in most situations in this state.

#729373 - 12/31/11 11:03 AM Re: Camo suggestions? [Re: Chum Man]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
One aspect i discovered with boots, at least for me, is soft flexible soles. When I switched from a traditional boot/sole to something like LL Bean's pac I found myself going through the woods really quietly. This is especially noticable in the early season when things may be dry.

#729375 - 12/31/11 11:14 AM Re: Camo suggestions? [Re: Carcassman]
Elkman Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Anchorage, AK U.S.A
Love my Danners. I just picked up some new camo as an early birthday gift. The new omni heat camo from Columbia looks to be sweet. Perfect for those rainy westside days chasing blacktails. I had to take advantage of the 40% off all camo at WS.

#729527 - 01/01/12 12:18 PM Re: Camo suggestions? [Re: Elkman]
MAVsled Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, wa
last year I tried Sitka Optifade.
now this year have two sets: forest for wetside (& treestand), open country eastside.
best clothing I've ever hunted in and I've tried most. sold most thru Ebay after a season; ASAT, Max 1 and a Predator-grey wolf woolens brand.

both sets of Sitka in their 90% pants & jacket. Added the Downpour Rain coverups in only Forest pattern too for wetside rainy days.

Danner usa boots but like the Perfekt boots too.

yes on face mask or use camo face paint, cover thy hands. And most important; constantly be aware of wind direction and limit your movements when game is close.

archery hunting isn't like the Outdoor Channel TV show Best of the West; where they cherish their 600-850 yard rifle shots.

#729543 - 01/01/12 01:53 PM Re: Camo suggestions? [Re: steeliedrew]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Drew,
Critters with a cloven hoof are pursued 24/7 by other critters with teeth and claws that are far more proficient predators than any of us will ever be. Mainly because, in both cases, their longevity directly depends upon their success rate....

Keep that in mind before you end up looking like a Cabela's catalog model crunching your new gore-tex Danners through the wet salal with the wind at your back, and maybe your time afield spent with those of cloven hoof will graciously learn ya a thing or three 'bout what's most important...

and not so much so.... wink

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (NOFISH), 1122 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645360 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |