Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#730101 - 01/03/12 08:12 PM More Taxes!
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
12 million could pay for alot of things. Parks, libraries, Medic 1, etc....

What is it that our government is supposed to provide?

By Keith Ervin

Seattle Times reporter

PREV of NEXT

MIKE SIEGEL / THE SEATTLE TIMES

Progress is slow — 30 to 50 feet a day — on the deep, 13-mile-long tunnel that will carry treated wastewater to Puget Sound from the Brightwater plant.
Related

Monthly sewer fees on the rise (PDF)
Gallery | Brightwater under construction
How Brightwater got so expensive (PDF)
Where it comes from, where it goes (PDF)
Map data ©2011 Google - Terms of UseSee more mapped stories
When King County officials authorized a third sewage-treatment plant, they knew it wasn't the cheapest way to handle the region's growing volume of sewage.

Little did they know how expensive it would become.

The Brightwater treatment plant is now expected to cost $1.8 billion — roughly double what the Metropolitan King County Council was told when it first approved the project.

Officials don't know of a plant this size anywhere that has cost so much.
The soaring price of the most expensive public-works project in county history means higher sewer bills for everyone. Buyers of new single-family homes in most of King County and parts of Snohomish County are paying the most — on average, more than $1,000 this year.

A falloff in homebuilding and new bond-insurance requirements could push rates higher still. King County Executive Ron Sims will introduce his 2009 rate proposal and forecast of future rates next month.

In all, it will take 35 to 40 years of principal and interest payments to retire the $3 billion debt burden on Brightwater, scheduled to open in 2011 in Snohomish County north of Woodinville.

How did Brightwater get so pricey?

There are many reasons: engineering changes, technology that exceeds state and federal environmental requirements, and construction-industry inflation among them.

But above all was the simple truth that almost nobody wants a sewer plant near his home or business or beach.

That reality pushed the plant so far inland that a 13-mile, $735 million pipeline is being built to take treated waste to Puget Sound. It also meant installing the nation's most advanced odor-control system and paying for parks and other goodies to win at least grudging acceptance from jurisdictions near the plant and pipeline.

A 43-acre habitat-restoration area overlooks the site, where massive concrete structures are rising from the hillside. Sewer bills will also pay $4 million for artwork and $8 million for an education center.

#730111 - 01/03/12 08:55 PM Re: More Taxes! [Re: ]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Stuff like this makes people a bit aprehensive about just nodding their head and voting for whatever it is that THEY say we "need." I must not be as smart as those who dictate policy in our region.

The SLUT? CAO? Really?

#730121 - 01/03/12 09:22 PM Re: More Taxes! [Re: wntrrn]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Looks like one of the big cost factors is the NIMBY element. I take that to mean that the public is willing to pay more not to have the plant in their back yard.

#730133 - 01/03/12 09:44 PM Re: More Taxes! [Re: Salmo g.]
goharley Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: U.S. Army
agree

#730137 - 01/03/12 09:54 PM Re: More Taxes! [Re: goharley]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Or, the council is more willing to find an area that is less likely to spend huge dollars on many lawsuits. That does benefit the taxpayer but also speaks to where we are as a society.

What about the 4 million for the arts and 8 million for an education center? Those $$ could fund quite a few officers, Medic 1, schools.....?

Salmo, nice to see you finally caught a fish.

#730373 - 01/04/12 03:52 PM Re: More Taxes! [Re: wntrrn]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: wntrrn
Salmo, nice to see you finally caught a fish.

Finally? Check out the fiberglass rod. 4/30/82. Happened to have a camera that day, and it was warm and sunny.

#730392 - 01/04/12 05:20 PM Re: More Taxes! [Re: Salmo g.]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

That was shoved down the throats of Snohomish County who had zero say.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 924 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645357 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |