Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#734469 - 01/19/12 11:21 PM Re: which pontoon? [Re: tinyelvis]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
<= Loves his Skookum.

<= Removed the LeeLock because he thinks they suck.

Your mileage may vary.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#734490 - 01/20/12 12:51 AM Re: which pontoon? [Re: Rotten Chum]
MikeH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washington
Originally Posted By: Rotten Chum
Go welded all the way...and catchercraft does make a great pontoon!!

What size is that????

#734508 - 01/20/12 01:46 AM Re: which pontoon? [Re: Todd]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Ellensburg, WA
Originally Posted By: Todd

<= Removed the LeeLock because he thinks they suck.

Fish on...

Todd

Interesting...so which LeeLock unit did you take off and what did you put back on as a replacement?

Did it look anything like the attachments?

Attachments
Leelock-Raft.JPG

Leelock-Pontoon.JPG

Edited by The Catcherman (01/20/12 02:03 AM)

#734514 - 01/20/12 02:17 AM Re: which pontoon? [Re: The Catcherman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Kinda...I prefer the old school cleat, like in my driftboats. I also had a boat come with some sort of fancy one way racheted pulley of some sort, too...took it off and put on a cleat.

Not sure if the way I like it is better...just pretty sure the way I like it is the way I like it wink

Fish on...

Todd

#734515 - 01/20/12 02:18 AM Re: which pontoon? [Re: Todd]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

P.S. Yours is fancier than the one I had last...it didn't have a pulley as part of it...though I'm sure that wouldn't really make it much different.

#734516 - 01/20/12 02:38 AM Re: which pontoon? [Re: Todd]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Nothing wrong with an old-school cleat...only one you can blame in a failure is the one tying the figure 8 knot.

I never used the one-way ratchet but I heard plenty of problems associated with them.

Your last statement kinda sums it up nicely. Nothing really matters as long as long as the owner is happy.

#734564 - 01/20/12 01:09 PM Re: which pontoon? [Re: The Catcherman]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

Originally Posted By: The Catcherman
Originally Posted By: Rag N Steel
Skookums boat
http://shop.steelheader.com/viewcategory.php?groupid=0
The imposter
http://www.catchercraft.com/Products___Prices.html
Dude same bends and breakdown....just you put a different anchor mount/system on "some" and even your kick boat is the same as the Osprey

you tell us what the difference is? Im stumped.

Your right drinking the High Life tonight might blaze up that pinner hear in a min.

Rag,

First of all, our Kamloops frame is made from galvanized steel and made in North Bend, WA. The Osprey Frame is made overseas out of aluminum and then power coated. It says so right on their website. If you only knew how much they paid for the Osprey frame and how much they are marked up...

Next, and I'm going to be very clear so there is no misunderstanding...Prior to February 2011 the Skookum Steelheader frame and since March 2011 for Catchercraft, the 1- and 2-Salt Steelhead frames are exactly alike because they were built by the same man, Ken Rambow out of North Bend. He provided the Steelheader frames for Skookum Products until he built them their last frame in February 2011. Since that time, Skookum must have contracted with somebody else to have their frames built.

For example, Todd's Steelheader II frame, yeah, it was built by Ken Rambow. After Ken stopped making frames for Skookum, he started making the same frame for Catchercraft...the same frame he had built for over a decade. Now I ask you again, how we ripped off Skookum?

And regarding the NRS frame that you refused to believe we are repairing, I'd be more than happy to have the guide contact you if that's what it takes. Again, not saying that NRS makes inferior products, just saying that we happen to be fixing one right now, coincidentally.

True.

When I purchased my skookum, about three years ago, it was shipped from NorthBend.

#734573 - 01/20/12 01:20 PM Re: which pontoon? [Re: Driftfishnw]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Driftfishnw

True.

When I purchased my skookum, about three years ago, it was shipped from NorthBend.

Really? That surprises me a little. Maybe it was an isolated incident because typically Mr. Day (Skookum) usually stopped by Ken's place and picked up multiple frames at a time and then had them shipped from Skookum rather than the North Bend fab shop. It was probably due to the circumstances at the time.

#734574 - 01/20/12 01:24 PM Re: which pontoon? [Re: The Catcherman]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

Originally Posted By: Driftfishnw

True.

Really? That surprises me a little. Maybe it was an isolated incident because typically Mr. Day (Skookum) usually stopped by Ken's place and picked up multiple frames at a time and then had them shipped from Skookum rather than the North Bend fab shop. It was probably due to the circumstances at the time.

Totally.

His daughter was running his show due to Bill's illness and had the frame picked up from NorthBend.

#734577 - 01/20/12 01:29 PM Re: which pontoon? [Re: Driftfishnw]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Roger that, I know she was helping out more after her father got sick. I happened to meet her last year as I was there on her very last frame pickup from Ken. I think she knew the hand writing was on the wall because she brought a frame that someone else had done for her. It was cracked at the welds. She asked Ken to fix it for her, which he did for free because he's that kind of guy. I thought it odd that she'd have Ken fix someone else's work but it is a true story.

Edited by The Catcherman (01/20/12 01:37 PM)

#734585 - 01/20/12 01:48 PM Re: which pontoon? [Re: The Catcherman]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Love the LeeLock. Sayonara to cleats.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#734591 - 01/20/12 02:33 PM Re: which pontoon? [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Originally Posted By: Chuck S.
Originally Posted By: stam
...but probably shouldn't have gone there.

ya only live once ... (grin)

<--- has no clue what difference a catchathingy or a skookum might have, but someday will have one in Montana.

Perhaps a custom color one in Purple & Gold? grin

#734701 - 01/21/12 03:10 AM Re: which pontoon? [Re: ]
Rag N Steel Offline
Feel Free to make small talk ;)

Loc: South MILF Hill
So catch,
It sounds like this Ken guy is "Catchercraft"..... what do you do are you just a sales rep?...... just wondering sounds like the ken pulls all the weight in the company.....

Love my leelock had one of those ratchet deathtraps on the other boat never liked it from the get go. the ropejam cleats seems like they would pop the rope I dont really trust them...

Edited by Rag N Steel (01/21/12 03:15 AM)

www.badcatboats.com

#734711 - 01/21/12 09:55 AM Re: which pontoon? [Re: Rag N Steel]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Rag,

You are right, there would be no Catchercraft without Ken Rambow. After he decided to break ties with Skookum, I asked him if he still wanted to make his frames. He said yes, and after some thought and planning, later I approached him with a proposal to start our own company and we formed the business. We are co-owners, he still builds frames like always and I take care of everything else. Ken pretty much defers to my judgement (right or wrong grin ) on all business decisions but like a good partner, I keep him in the loop.

Yeah, I like the LeeLock for convenience and safety and wouldn't get a boat without one personally anymore. Saying that, I ran the clam cleat for a couple years without any mishap but there is always a chance. I would NEVER use the ratchet system. I may look into Todd's cleat idea as another option too.

#734718 - 01/21/12 10:54 AM Re: which pontoon? [Re: MikeH]
Rotten Chum Offline
Spawner

Loc: Snoho County
Originally Posted By: MikeH
Originally Posted By: Rotten Chum
Go welded all the way...and catchercraft does make a great pontoon!!

What size is that????

The toons are 16' and the entire frame is 120" x 72"...the solid diamond plate floor is 10' by 42"
425-280-5494

#734775 - 01/21/12 04:45 PM Re: which pontoon? [Re: Rotten Chum]
gregsalmon Offline
Spawner

Loc: alaska and washington
Cleats have not moving parts.

#749242 - 03/21/12 10:54 PM Re: which pontoon? [Re: The Catcherman]
riverdawg Offline
Alevin

Danno84,

Good post, nice to see some true WW knowledge come to the thread. One problem with Maravia, Hyside, Sotar, Aire is they don't make smaller pontoons, of which the original post was pertaining to. Sotar is the only one even close with their 11 footers that retail for $2275 just for the pontoons, no frame (they do have deals sometimes). Most fishers don't need that quality of pontoon for fishing applications. JPW offers a great US made pontoon that is reasonable and that is why I mentioned it in my earlier post. Not even Saturn offers 9, 10, or 12 foot pontoons so everyone is pretty much stuck with Maxxon or JPW at the smaller size, which is why Skookum, Bad Cat, Water Ready, and yes, even those crazy loons at Catchercraft all use Maxxon or JPW pontoons in the smaller boats.

And just to confirm, I'm not suggesting that NRS frames are junk in anyway...but the fact is we are repairing 3 cross members right now.

It seems to me my boat is riding on a set of Canyon 10'6 cat tubes so there are other options for smaller pontoons that are US made. I have the urethane coated bottom on my tubes and it is about as tough as it comes for fishing applications and they had about 8 color combos and built them to the color I wanted.

I looked into the jacks but they had a terrible shape and were the same old ugly blue color as the maxxon, chafes were extra and they were only 35oz fabric. That blue radiates on the water when the sun hits it.

I run a standard driftboat jam cleat on my cat and have never had a problem, the new thing is scare people into a lee lock, I wonder how many have actually been hurt because of a jam cleat that is basically on every drift boat out there for the last 20 years.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1217 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |