Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#73756 - 07/24/06 12:49 AM Muskie in Lake Tapps
Cannondaler Offline
Alevin

Loc: Enumclaw
Can anyone give me some tips on fishing Lake Tapps for Muskie.
I have done well for smallie but I have not even seen a Muskie out there. I normally fish Snagg Island area.

I have casted large Crank baits hoping to get into Muskie but I have had no luck. I just need a few tips on finding them. Any help would be great.
you can send private e mail if you dont want to post. Cannondaler12@aol.com

Thanks

#73757 - 07/24/06 12:03 PM Re: Muskie in Lake Tapps
Bill G Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Buckley Wa.
Scott, Have you ever tryed trolling? I have a of success calling up fish for all the people that go with me that way.
Start by picking a perch colored 1/2 oz bait that runs 5 to 8 foot deep with a tight wiggle. Drag it at 2 1/2 to 3 mph. about 30 feet behind the boat. What I look for is an edge 10 to 16 feet deep that drops into deeper water. A good example is the east side of Driftwood point on the main body of the lake.
Start there and let me know how you do.
Hope to see you on the water.
Bill

#73758 - 07/24/06 04:28 PM Re: Muskie in Lake Tapps
Cannondaler Offline
Alevin

Loc: Enumclaw
Thanks.... I have a few baits I used for pike on the east coast. I think they would work best. Do you run wire or heavy mono leader?
I am going to run a med. Heavy 7 foot rod with 15 lb. test. spinner.

I will keep you posted. I would get out tonight but I have committed to go shooting. Thanks

Scott

#73759 - 07/25/06 11:13 AM Re: Muskie in Lake Tapps
Bill G Offline
Juvenille at Sea

That would be a hard choice for me to make shooting or fishing.
I do use a short [6 in] wire leader.
Rod and line should be fine.
Try to stay on the edge it snakes back and forth really widedly neer the point.
Good Luck
Bill

#73760 - 08/08/06 01:09 AM Re: Muskie in Lake Tapps
Steve Marsh Offline
Fry

Loc: Redmond, WA
Anyone know of a guide fishing for Muskies anywhere in Washington?

#73761 - 08/08/06 12:06 PM Re: Muskie in Lake Tapps
Bill G Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Steve, I don't know of any guides for tigers. If you have a boat I don't think you real need one. Tigers are pure preditors, when the water is warm, all they need is the opertunity to bite. I've caught the majority of my tigers [around 30 or so since 2000 when they were introduced into Tapps] bass fishing. Cast and retreive small to large crank baits in places that are good ambush areas. Now my arm is so bad that I am fine tuning the trolling technique. But time on the water has been the best teacher. I have started working on a map of Tapps that I will give to anyone when I get it finished. Probably this winter I will have the time.
Bill

#73762 - 08/10/06 10:18 PM Re: Muskie in Lake Tapps
Steve Marsh Offline
Fry

Loc: Redmond, WA
Bill,
I'm interested in learning more about your trolling technique. I have Parkinson's Disease and casting is becoming a chore. Give me an some examples of crank baits to troll and what line, leader, weights are you using. I understand you are trolling fast 2.5 to 3. What areas do you suggest fishing and is any map available at all?

Planning on heading to the lake on Sunday.

TIA,

Steve

#73763 - 08/12/06 10:47 PM Re: Muskie in Lake Tapps
Bill G Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Steve: We were over between Banker's Island and Driftwood point yesterday, in 12' of water and my buddy picked up a 6 pound smallie on a 4" fire tiger minnow bait that only runs 2 feet deep. The only topo map I know of is on washingtonlakes.com. It doesn't tell you which island is which though. Driftwood point is to the southwest of the county park launch. I have 10 pound test line on my reels, I don't use any weights, I use a 6 inch steel leader fastened directly to the bait. Use something that has a tight wiggle like a wiggle wart or a frenzy. You don't want to be out on Tapps in the afternoon if it's sunny out. It gets real rough and the launch becomes a zoo.
Bill

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 573 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |