LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#736625 - 01/29/12 04:12 PM Yarnies!!!! Question???
MikeH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washington
Couldn't make it out to the river today because I got sick. I figured I might as well pass the time tying up some yarnies and jigs.
I made 125 yarnies this morning (a bit excessive).

I fish the yarn balls from the bank mostly drifting behind a slinky.
My question is do you find a preference in the way to rig it?
I have always took my leader and threaded it with a needle through the center of the yarn ball and slid it down to the eye of the hook.
I have also just slid the hook shank through the center of the ball and put a puff ball on after to hold it in place.

Whats the best way to rig a yarn ball?

#736634 - 01/29/12 05:31 PM Re: Yarnies!!!! Question??? [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Since I need a leader with an egg loop anyway, I incorporate the yarnie while tying up my leaders. No threading involved.

#736638 - 01/29/12 05:52 PM Re: Yarnies!!!! Question??? [Re: stonefish]
MikeH Offline
Spawner

How about using the yarnie under a float. Should I just run it in the place of a jig and run a few split shot on the leader to keep it down?
I have made the glo bug flies and fished the as jig droppers in the past but found that even with lead core wrapped around the hook that the glo bug is tied to it is still too buoyant.

How could I fish them under a float successfully, never tried but I figure might as well give it a go.

#736692 - 01/29/12 11:58 PM Re: Yarnies!!!! Question??? [Re: MikeH]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

Loc: Grays Harbor
Red or pink jig head with one of those tied on should fish well under a float. Even a white jig head should work.

Definitely gotta get me some of that tubing, tying loose yarn is a pain.

#736718 - 01/30/12 10:53 AM Re: Yarnies!!!! Question??? [Re: fish_4_all]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Here is similar video if you prefer Glo Bug to yarn ball. I use them both.

Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#736720 - 01/30/12 11:14 AM Re: Yarnies!!!! Question??? [Re: Mooch]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Like said above I gotta have my egg loop in there for some dime sized clusters @ times.I did like the less trimming needed with that method though.I tie my yarnies in with the knot.Good luck,
SZ

#736890 - 01/30/12 11:39 PM Re: Yarnies!!!! Question??? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
MikeH Offline
Spawner

I am gonna try to use them under a float tomorrow for a bit. I am just gonna thread it down my leader and hook it in my bait loop then run split shot on the leader. Do you think this is going to be a proper presentation. I am gonna match the amount of shot with the size of the float.

Also for high dark water what color patterns are we thinking??? I have so many different patterns I am sure I got something similar to your ideas.

I will tie some on jig heads next time I stock up. I just tied up the last of mine tonight with rabbit fur instead.

#737059 - 01/31/12 06:23 PM Re: Yarnies!!!! Question??? [Re: MikeH]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

The glo bug can be tied on an egg hook without much problem. I tied up a few yarnies just to see if my shaky hands could do it. If I can do it then it can't be too hard. Tie the egg hook first, then tie on the Glo Bug and the put the line back through the eye to for your egg loop.

Orange, pink and a darker green but all effective colors for me in the past.

#737065 - 01/31/12 06:42 PM Re: Yarnies!!!! Question??? [Re: fish_4_all]
MikeH Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: fish_4_all
The glo bug can be tied on an egg hook without much problem. I tied up a few yarnies just to see if my shaky hands could do it. If I can do it then it can't be too hard. Tie the egg hook first, then tie on the Glo Bug and the put the line back through the eye to for your egg loop.

Orange, pink and a darker green but all effective colors for me in the past.

I tie the glo bug flys on single egg fly hooks but I have tons of loose yarnies that I rig the exact same way with egg loop or threaded on the leader.

Has that pattern worked for you with the turquoise?? Is that globug brand yarn?

#737067 - 01/31/12 06:46 PM Re: Yarnies!!!! Question??? [Re: MikeH]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

It is actually a dark green, can't get the color to come out right, just had to show I can make them. I have never fished the color combo, only yarnies I ever used were solid pink or orange and no luck on them.

Don't know what kind of yarn it is, is stuff I have had for years. Maybe some glo bug yarn and some other stuff that isn't as fluffy.

#737084 - 01/31/12 08:28 PM Re: Yarnies!!!! Question??? [Re: fish_4_all]
MikeH Offline
Spawner

It is actually a dark green, can't get the color to come out right, just had to show I can make them. I have never fished the color combo, only yarnies I ever used were solid pink or orange and no luck on them.

Don't know what kind of yarn it is, is stuff I have had for years. Maybe some glo bug yarn and some other stuff that isn't as fluffy.

Oh ok I have never used a green in yarnies. Might have to give it a try and see how it works.
I have fished yarnies a lot this past year and had real good luck drifting them. I sometimes put a corkie above it so it pretty much corky and yarn. Coho hit them hard this year for me.

#737150 - 02/01/12 01:16 AM Re: Yarnies!!!! Question??? [Re: MikeH]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

That's a better picture of them. Green has always been a really good color for me but usually it is chartreuse and not darker greens. Figured if Chinook like blue they might like a darker green also.

Edited by fish_4_all (02/01/12 01:17 AM)

#737389 - 02/01/12 10:45 PM Re: Yarnies!!!! Question??? [Re: fish_4_all]
MikeH Offline
Spawner

That's a better picture of them. Green has always been a really good color for me but usually it is chartreuse and not darker greens. Figured if Chinook like blue they might like a darker green also.

Worth a shot. I have only ever had luck with green on coho. Never really gave it a real shot on anything else tho.

#737469 - 02/02/12 11:05 AM Re: Yarnies!!!! Question??? [Re: MikeH]
OnTheDrop Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Western WA
Awesome post, going to have to give those a try this year.

#737489 - 02/02/12 12:25 PM Re: Yarnies!!!! Question??? [Re: OnTheDrop]
Nick Berto Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Monroe, WA
During the snow storm, I sat around and tied lots of yarnies... around 500.

I then tied some up on leader rolls. How much would a guy be willing to pay for something like this do you think? Or for a 12 or 24 pack of the yarn balls themselves? I know Coley has his 12 for $7...

#737745 - 02/03/12 01:08 AM Re: Yarnies!!!! Question??? [Re: Nick Berto]
MikeH Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Nick Berto
During the snow storm, I sat around and tied lots of yarnies... around 500.

I then tied some up on leader rolls. How much would a guy be willing to pay for something like this do you think? Or for a 12 or 24 pack of the yarn balls themselves? I know Coley has his 12 for $7...

i tied a bunch more today all different patterns of orange. > just tie a lot of pre-rigged leaders and choose the yarn ball on the water.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 319 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |