#739779 - 02/10/12 02:44 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: ]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Boring rainy days and trolling they sorta hang together. grin

#739781 - 02/10/12 02:45 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

possibly FB but doubtfull... these statements made by him make it highly doubtfull that he doesnt know whats going on with them.. it shows hes selfish, and doesnt care about the fish...

"LOl guys is interesting here I let 15 lb. native go on the snoqalmie 2 weeks ago kept it in water pulled the net back fish swam away great wink hope that run comes back .But I really doubt it .I've got some good pictures big hoh fish if you want to see them all bucks like this one.Also have picture of 33lb and 17lb native king's I let go on Skykomish 2 years ago. "

"Ya i gave have to my neighbors who are not very wealthy they have never had steelhead before cant aford fresh fish DER DER DER you are a sad fisherman LOL to bad you cant catch a fish D***head. "

oh, and this little snippet he added to the original post shows he knows whats going on

"only one a year ;)"

whats the wink supposed to mean in that? is he trying to inform people and be cool about it, or is he trying to insinuate that "only one a year (if you get caught)? either way, i think hes selfish, and retarded, dudes got a 14 foot rod with an 8000 series Tuna reel on it... that part makes him look like a noob moron, but the other statements make him look like he fully knows whats going on with Steelhead in Washington State..

#739801 - 02/10/12 03:15 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: ]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
The tribes fought the steelhead moritorium 10 years ago because they didn't want to be seen by the public as the only user group killing wild fish.

CNR is a catch 22 situation, a guy goes out and kills his one wild steelhead and puts his rod away for the rest of the season. A CNR fisherman catches and releases 20 wild steelhead during the season and 2 die after they are released. Who is the holy one?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#739806 - 02/10/12 03:19 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: Todd]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Todd
The tribes are following the law, too.

Fish on...

Todd

You are right, they are following the law and killing a lot more nats than the sport guys. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to see nats released, but on the same hand the one fish rule allows a nat hooked in the gills the be kept. Is it better the release a fish that is going to die or the keep it and make a meal of it, or toss it back to rot? The one fish rule allows me the option. And lord knows the guys who have drift boats and fish every weekend are killing many more nats than a guy who may hit the rivers two or three times a year and keep one nat. Dead is dead, doesn't matter to the fish what your intentions are. If people really cared about nats you wouldn't see a net on a drift boat after the brat runs are done. I believe that mishandling of fish kill more than the occasional one that is bonked. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion.

Edited by Blktailhunter (02/10/12 03:20 PM)

#739845 - 02/10/12 04:32 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia

CNR is a catch 22 situation, a guy goes out and kills his one wild steelhead and puts his rod away for the rest of the season. A CNR fisherman catches and releases 20 wild steelhead during the season and 2 die after they are released. Who is the holy one?

I highly doubt the fisherman that kills his one NATIVE calls it quits for the rest of the season. Who are you kidding Jerry....greed is one hell of bad virtue, they'll keep coming back for more....

#739853 - 02/10/12 04:43 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

he understands tho, read his posts, he fully knows that the Snoqualmie run was obliderated... so if he knows and understands that, then he understands what he is doing out on the Penninsula...

he is selfish, and was looking to get a rise out of people, what better way to do that, than post a dead native Steelhead on a Washington based fishing forum bragging about killing it... he did it on purpose, and could give a sh!t less about the fish, or what anyone thinks about it... if he truely was dumb to the fact, he wouldnt have said what he said, or put it how he put it... fact is, hes just dumb period...

#739863 - 02/10/12 05:12 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: ]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Morality is based upon your upbringing, culture, influences of peers and often times religion. When individuals have a high degree of variance among those aforementioned sources, cases like this happen. Just cause you think one thing is immoral another may think its moral.

A large percentage of the population don't fish for steelhead. They have no vested interest in the strength or status of the run. that's why a lot of "noobs" won't hesitate to bonk a wild steelhead. Especially if they got started during a pink run....

#739867 - 02/10/12 05:28 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: Bigjim]
stickfisher Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Originally Posted By: BigJim
Who runs that website ? I would have a site get together and chilliwack half them.

Mike Carey

#739871 - 02/10/12 05:44 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: ]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: FishPrince
If you retain a fish there is a 100% chance it dies, if you release a fish, even if bleeding the chance it dies is less than 100%. Tossing it back, even if it rots isn't a waste. If that released fish dies, it at least adds nutrients to the ecosystem which indirectly helps future generations of fish survive.

On the same hand bonking a fish and throwing its guts in the water does the same thing, plus it allows you to enjoy a fish dinner. Don't get me wrong I'm not for bonking a nat, but I'm also not going to begrudge a person for doing so as long as he is following the law. Nor would I have a problem bonking a bleeding nat hooked in the gills if I was certain it was going to. The reasoning that releasing a bleeding fish even though it has no chance vs bonking it because it eases your guilt doesn't cut it in my book. You still killed the fish. If you really feel that way then you should quite fishing for the year the first time you hook a nat and its gut hooked and bleeding. You killed your one nat fish for the year.

#739873 - 02/10/12 05:54 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: Blktailhunter]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Blktailhunter
If you really feel that way then you should quite fishing for the year the first time you hook a nat and its gut hooked and bleeding. You killed your one nat fish for the year.

That's actually the law, right? If a fish is hooked in certain spots (the eye, tongue) and it's legal to keep it, you must.

#739876 - 02/10/12 06:04 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: MPM]
redhook
Unregistered

yep...

Selective Gear Rules
Only unscented artificial
flies or lures with one single-point, barbless hook
are allowed. Up to a total of three artificial flies or
lures, each containing one single-point, barbless
hook may be used. Bait is prohibited; fish may
be released until the daily limit is retained. Only
knotless nets may be used to land fish except
where specifically allowed under Special Rules
for individual waters. If any fish has swallowed
the hook or is hooked in the gill, eye, or tongue,
it should be kept if legal to do so.

#739878 - 02/10/12 06:06 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: Bantam]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
Originally Posted By: Bantam
Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia

I highly doubt the fisherman that kills his one NATIVE calls it quits for the rest of the season. Who are you kidding Jerry....greed is one hell of bad virtue, they'll keep coming back for more....

Anyone who is interested should go float Cicero to Trafton, or Trafton to Arlington on the NF Stilly. Maybe throw in a float from the mill in Darrington to the Suiattle on the Sauk. Or, the wooden bridge on the Pilchuck down past Schwatzmillers. If you want to see what closing the CnR season has done, do that any day of the week, and you'll find more people poaching steelhead than any other time of the year.

No eyes on the water, enforcement or public, equals fair game on that which we treasure.

#739880 - 02/10/12 06:14 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Originally Posted By: redhook
yep...

If any fish has swallowed
the hook or is hooked in the gill, eye, or tongue,
it should be kept if legal to do so.

"should" is a tricky word to enforce. I wonder if that was done intentionally to promote a certain perceived ethic, or if they really meant "must."

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#739881 - 02/10/12 06:16 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: ColeyG]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
You are under no legal requirement whatsoever to keep a wild steelhead, no matter where it is hooked...

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#739882 - 02/10/12 06:18 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: ColeyG]
redhook
Unregistered

could be, wouldnt be the first time ive corrected them and they changed it.. i think i will bring that up to whome i know, because when you use bait for trout "the first 5 caught, wether kept or not, count towards daily limit", that is to help the die off, as when using bait, most of the time the hook is down in its gullet, so if you mortally wound a salmon or steelhead, they should be kept, or counted towards the daily limit wether kept or not as well...

problem with that is, most people dont follow the trout law anyways, and keep on fishing regardless... not sure if it would have any impact anyways...

#739886 - 02/10/12 06:25 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Originally Posted By: redhook
could be, wouldnt be the first time ive corrected them and they changed it.. i think i will bring that up to whome i know,

Great. While your are at it, see if they can change it to something like "release all wild steelhead."

Todd, that is not what english Pete told me.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#739888 - 02/10/12 06:36 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: ColeyG]
MPM Offline
Spawner

That's a good point re: "should"

#739889 - 02/10/12 06:37 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: ColeyG]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: ColeyG
Great. While your are at it, see if they can change it to something like "release all wild steelhead."

lol

#739892 - 02/10/12 06:41 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: MPM]
redhook
Unregistered

yeah, they wont listen to me on that aspect... im not a lawmaker, i just point out their mess ups in the regs.. luckily i know someone that gets it changed sooner than later..

#739896 - 02/10/12 06:44 PM Re: Another one bites the dust.... [Re: Rivrguy]
gregsalmon Offline
Spawner

Loc: alaska and washington
I see guides net the nates, drag em to shore with the power boat, take 8 pictures and then wonder why the fish dies when they release it. Why net it if you are going to release it?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |