LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#740604 - 02/14/12 05:12 PM Shelf life of monofilament?
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
Looking to seek input on the shelf life of monofilament. I have a half dozen levelwinds and a handful of knucklebuster reels that need some spooling. I usually buy a few spools of 600yards +/- to handle the job each spring but figured I'd look into picking up a bulk spool to handle them all. My only concern is that I don't know I'll use all of the bulk spool right away and it may sit until next spring, so I don't want it to go bad.

Also have a few spools of mono that I found that may be 2-3 years old, wrapped in ziplocks to stay dry and out of light. How long does mono really last before it starts to degrade?

Also, does anyone have a good website for buying bulk spools?

#740629 - 02/14/12 06:32 PM Re: Shelf life of monofilament? [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Stored in a cool dark place, I think monofilament nylon lasts almost indefinitely. My seldom used Penn 109 is still sporting a spooling of 17# test line that I put on it a good 25 years ago. I keep thinking about replacing it, but then I test its knot strength and it breaks some newer 20# test. So I leave it be.

Sg

#740635 - 02/14/12 06:46 PM Re: Shelf life of monofilament? [Re: Salmo g.]
redhook
Unregistered

ive used leftover line spools as leader that are 5 years old... the only time i break off fish, is when its a 30+ pound king on 12 pound line that i pressured too much... otherwise, i never snap lines.. kept in the right conditions, it should be fine for a long time... after its been exposed to water and such, id change it atleast once a year... i change my line out generally 3-5 times a season, not always nessecary, but its what i do...

you can get the bulk spools at Sportmans, and Sportco and such, i think they are around 80 dollars or so, buying online isnt always cheaper, because you have to account for shipping, and the spools are weight, wich you will be charged for...

#740636 - 02/14/12 06:47 PM Re: Shelf life of monofilament? [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Stuff on my reels that I use frequently gets changed out every three to five fishing days...but it gets changed out from 3000 yard bulk spools, some of which are three or four years old before they quit. I keep them in bags, and out of the sun...seems to be good as new to me.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#740644 - 02/14/12 07:01 PM Re: Shelf life of monofilament? [Re: Todd]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

Loc: Grays Harbor
Had a service spool of Maxima that I finally used up after 12 years and it was perfect down to the last refill. Kept in a box out of the light and inside the house.

#740767 - 02/15/12 12:38 AM Re: Shelf life of monofilament? [Re: fish_4_all]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

If protected from damaging heat and UV, the stuff lasts forever.

Storage habits are the key.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |