Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#741877 - 02/19/12 11:08 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder ***** [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
I was trying to work up the nerve to tell a story about the time I was short a plug rod so I strung my 6wt and lashed on a tad polly, but I thought better of it at the last minute.

Heathens.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#741887 - 02/20/12 12:09 AM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

hey, i fish bait, i dont appreciate that stam...

#741905 - 02/20/12 02:08 AM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

That Stam, he's a purist.

Coley,

Dame Juliana and the whore mongers are all brothers and sisters of the angle. Not a gillnetter among them, blasting caps having not been invented. The campfire's big enough for all those who revere the fish and the sport.

Redhook,

It's OK. Stam prides himself on his primitiveness. It's a special cult thing.

Sg

#742231 - 02/21/12 03:14 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: Salmo g.]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Just to throw a wrench in the works a bit...

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

Around my campfire it goes like this in descending order of high falutin' preference which should help define "the easy way out":

1. upstream dead drift dry fly
2. skated dry
3. damp wet fly swing
4. deep wet fly swing
5. nymphing, no split shot, no bobber/indicator
6. nymphing with split shot and or indicator
7. jig and bobber with spinning/casting rod
8. drift fishing spinners and spoons
9. drift fishing bait
10. pulling plugs

Sg

Float and jig is very effective, and very easy, which is why you see so many beginners using it, and why you see virtually every guide who has fishermen good enough to pass on pulling plugs throwing things out there with boobers on them...

But...I suspect it rates higher on the "I'm better than you" scale solely because it is a LOT more like a particular style of "flyfishing" (purposely in quotes) than are the rest...

You will find far, far more proficient jig/boober fishermen than spoon or driftfishermen because it is far, far easier to do...

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#742233 - 02/21/12 03:28 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: Salmo g.]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Just picture Salmo sitting on his dark brown lazy boy chair in his reading/cigar room. Handmade wall-to-wall bookshelves filled with books on fly fishing, flies, and golf line the room along with a lit fireplace. He's got a fine crystal tumbler in his hand filled with 25 year old Laphroig, neat. The other hand is holding a lit Partagas Series D cigar. He's in his fine reading afternoon attire, complete with ascot, and tweed jacket.

Insert your best elitist nasal voice now and read the following quote:

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
it causes me to think that your either haven't fly fished very long or at least not long enough to learn how effective it is, or that your need to catch a fish exceeds any desire to catch one under the self-imposed constraints of traditional fly fishing.

rofl

#742234 - 02/21/12 03:32 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: The Moderator]
redhook
Unregistered

Partagas suck... get with the program Parker...

id sit there with a bottle of Mums and a Swisher Sweet...

#742236 - 02/21/12 03:37 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Thanks for revisiting that bit Parker.

I am not sure what stung worse, the fact that he said it, or that the statement is accurate in more ways than one smile

I am more of a Monte Cristo #2 sorta guy. They go well with PBR.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#742244 - 02/21/12 04:03 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: ColeyG]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: ss
I just wouldn't want to row Stam probably. He seems pretty judgemental

That was of those "Pot........Kettle........Black" moments, wasn't it?

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#742248 - 02/21/12 04:28 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

If you're a flyfisherman, and you are out looking for the "elitist" flyfisherman, and in spite of talking to several flyfishermen you still cannot find one...well...

You probably know the rest wink

smile

Fish on...

Todd

#742285 - 02/21/12 08:05 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

The thing I love most about you guys who never to seldom fly fish in this, the fly forum, is that you are such dependable biters and join right in with such authority. A lot of what I have to read at work is so very dry, and this stuff is invariably a relief.

I thought I hung with some pretty high profile and highbrow fly fishermen and earned my steelheading degree while sitting around their campfires, but now I feel like maybe I was never an accepted member of the club cuz I never, ever have seen an ascot. Maybe they put 'em away and hid 'em every time they saw me wander in. And I never got to learn the secret handshake. Man that hurts a guy.

Toddster, better late than never,

The easy way out ranking isn't about how easy a method is to do, or else seat ballast while plug pulling and bobber and jig would have been at the top. The ranking is about relative effectiveness, year around under all conditions, yada, yada. That indicator and nymph and bobber and jig are similar are irrelevant on this scale. Ergo, you flunked the scale ranking. But thanks for playing.

Hey Paker,

Are you volunteering your chicken wings to come help build some bookshelves? I sure need more, ya' know, for the reading room. No cigars; mine is a strictly non-smoking house, no exceptions. Nothing golf related either. And no Lazy Boy. But I won't dismiss the concept.

As for the quote, if you don't get it, I think I understand, and you're not alone. A lot of guys don't care how they catch fish as long as they catch fish. Remember "she who cannot be named"? That's what she said; "fishing is about catching fish." As for your fly fishing expertise, KK appears to have summed it up nicely. Thank you for your contribution to a fly fishing thread. It wouldn't have been the same without you.

Stamley,

Not all, but some of the best steelhead fly guys I've known were superb bait slingers in their formative years, which kinda' hints toward a key thing about steelhead fishing that isn't a part of this thread. Not that Coley's success matters, but when you refer to his fly fishing, you mean swung flies, right? No split shot, no nymphs, no beads? Cuz we all know that ain't fly fishing if you recall that thread.

The best thing I can think of about beer in aluminum cans is that it allows the undiscriminating to get drunk cheaply. The second best thing about it is that it'll do in a pinch, like a rafting float trip where having a lot of glass around is a liability. I resort to Budweiser on such occasions, but it makes me feel like I do when I pinch a split shot on my leader. Are we still at Level 5?

Sg

#742287 - 02/21/12 08:16 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: Salmo g.]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Meter busted through the glass on the first page.

I can only hope that a lot of what has been said is tongue-and-cheek and that those cracking the jokes know they are doing it. Grade A stuff, for sure.

Those guys should have known that a Sage thown in a fire supplies virtual ascots for all in attendance. They really could have saved some money.

#742302 - 02/21/12 09:49 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

AP,

I'll be sure and tell them, and after I explain what it means, at least within the narrow context of this forum, I already know they'll be unimpressed and not give a sh!t. People who toss Sage rods in a campfire are too far beyond giving a sh!t what anyone else thinks.

I don't know who knows what's t.i.c. or not, and that's part of the fun.

Sg

#742311 - 02/21/12 10:16 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: Salmo g.]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Tongue in crack? Sorry that was T.I.C.

#742312 - 02/21/12 10:22 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: Dave Vedder]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Anyone who thinks it's not virtually all tongue in cheek probably really does wear an ascot, and needs to stay away from the InterWebz, or might be in danger of an aneurysm or, at the very least, an ulcer the size of Rhode Island.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. Salmo g., where does that single hander with the pencil lead, four foot leader, and yarn tied into the knot of a 1/0 Octopus hook fall on that scale? wink

#742316 - 02/21/12 10:36 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: Todd]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Bantam's Nightmaretruder

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#742325 - 02/21/12 11:02 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: ColeyG]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Salmo - I got myself into refinishing my kitchen cabinets now. Hours and hours of sanding, staining, and finishing. I don't need or want another wood working project at the moment.

KK - the only person that I enjoy sitting around the camp fire with and telling them how to fly fish is Maris. He makes a great face when contemplating either suicide or just killing me outright. smile

#742327 - 02/21/12 11:12 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: ColeyG]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Oh sh!t! Vedder showed up. I should have ranked his bobber and jig mo' betta'.

Todd,

There ya' go, asking the tough question. Would you believe I over looked that particular specific gear type? I mean, I could have. But why would I? BTW, RI sized ulcers is taking this stuff waaaay too seriously.

Coley,

That Nightmare-truder looks like some serious bait. Of course I'm not a fish, so what would I know? But it looks like it uses all of the Intruder concept. Yep, that dog will hunt. Er, that fly will fish. Probably work better than its namesake jig.

I've never actually tied any Intruders. Don't have all the materials. I've got a couple ostrich feathers but no rhea, and that stuff's expensive. Cheap guy that I am, after learning a long time ago that a marabou feather tied to a hook is about as good a fish getter as there is, I have to force myself to tie up some quality bait. Which is likely why I still have pre-ban polar bear and heron after all these years.

Sg

#742329 - 02/21/12 11:14 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: Salmo g.]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Paker,

Quality post there, Bro. Glad I wasn't sipping any 25 year old Scotch when I read that!

Sg

#742350 - 02/21/12 11:56 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: Salmo g.]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

A couple of years back I found a place out of oregon that was selling rhea feathers for a very good price. I bought a crap ton and still have half of a crap ton. Happy to send you a few feathers if you would like to give some a go.

Lady Amherst is another nice addition, though it adds a bit of contrast+color, I don't think it does much for the action of the fly, thus I have been leaving it out more that putting it in lately. Guinea feathers under the rhea and ostrich.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#742414 - 02/22/12 12:09 PM Re: Bantam's Skunktruder [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Originally Posted By: Kanektok Kid
Siskiyou Aviary perhaps CG ?

That is the place.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 192 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |