Three Rivers Marine

Page 8 of 16 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#742703 - 02/23/12 06:44 AM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Chuck S.]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Evidence this market is NOT just smoke and mirrors.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/p-500-gets-9-cheaper-050100865.html

#742706 - 02/23/12 07:09 AM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Dave Vedder]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Great now we'll have to be subjected to gads of coped and pasted diatribe from copy and paste wonder boy, all from some obscure pollsters denying what your link says.

I'm with you Dave but its like trying to push water uphill!

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

#743851 - 02/28/12 01:52 PM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Keep the smoke and mirrors coming. My Apple is up more than $200 a share, but I suppose that's just an illusion.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dow-closes-above-13-000-first-time-since-210820884.html

#743859 - 02/28/12 02:37 PM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Dave Vedder]
Chuck S. Offline
Purple Passion

Loc: waiting on the hope and change...
I'm not sure if its amazing ... or scary.

#743865 - 02/28/12 03:04 PM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Chuck S.]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

As soon as most folks are sure the market has nowhere to go but up, it's time to sell.

#743923 - 02/28/12 06:19 PM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Dave Vedder]
Chuck S. Offline
Purple Passion

the dividends have been good so far ...

Hope they keep on coming wink

#744560 - 03/01/12 10:55 PM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Dave Vedder]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder
SG

Very similar to what you said about 1,000 points ago. In the meantime many of us have made a ton of money. There are always risks in any market, but the Dowís overall PE ratio is still historically low. And that is NOT smoke and mirrors.

We could have a crash if any of several very possible things happen. Those include oil at $5.00 a gallon for an extended time, a European collapse, or major war related to Israel, Iran, et al.

Yet American manufacturing is on the upswing. Detroit just came off a great year and is doing well this year. Another big plus for the market is the historically low yield on bonds and CDs many folks aren't too thrilled at investing their money at 1.5% yield.

Sooo, for now I will remain about 30% in stocks. Tell ya what let's each put a hypothetical 100,000 in whatever investments we like and next year at this time the loser buys the winner a beer. I already have my picks ready.

If the stock sucks, the Dow shoves it off the list. 30 industrial stocks do not represent the health of the economy. Apple and google are unique companies. I remember Amazon demanding high prices back in the mid 90's, but they continued to lose money at the same time. Noone is bragging about their solar stocks. Banking stocks usually lead in a recovery. You want proof of a broad recovery? Then wait until Harley Davidson gets back to 2007 spring prices.

#744566 - 03/01/12 11:12 PM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Fast and Furious]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

God, your lack of understanding is so vast it's hard to know where to begin. For one the Dow is far from the only indicator of rising market. Take a look at the NASDAQ or the S&P 500.

So Amazon lost money in the 90s. Which means absolutely nothing in regard to this market. Had you bought that crappy stock in 1995 for $50 a share, you would be pretty proud of it now at $180 a share.

The fact the DOW is adjusted every so often is also completely irrelevant to a discussion of recent market performance. If your theory made any sense, one could argue that the big losses the DOW suffered in the past were the result of adding good companies to the DOW? Jeesh, if you don't have a clue what you are talking about just keep quiet so no one will know.

Edited by Dave Vedder (03/01/12 11:17 PM)

#744900 - 03/04/12 02:28 AM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Dave Vedder]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

God, your lack of understanding is so vast it's hard to know where to begin. For one the Dow is far from the only indicator of rising market. Take a look at the NASDAQ or the S&P 500.

Duh! Well, they do the same thing. Take Google or Apple out of those indexes and see what happens to the index.
So Amazon lost money in the 90s. Which means absolutely nothing in regard to this market. Had you bought that crappy stock in 1995 for $50 a share, you would be pretty proud of it now at $180 a share.

On the contrary, it was part of the Tech bubble of the 99.

The fact the DOW is adjusted every so often is also completely irrelevant to a discussion of recent market performance. If your theory made any sense, one could argue that the big losses the DOW suffered in the past were the result of adding good companies to the DOW? Jeesh, if you don't have a clue what you are talking about just keep quiet so no one will know.

Its not a theory. Its not irrelevant either. Maybe you think, Tebow and Elway are interchangeable too? They dump under performing stocks, although in the past they did well. Had they kept the same stocks on the list before the bank bailout, the Dow, S&P, Nasdaq would be a lot lower. Companies did well and then the bottom dropped out. If Harley isnt back, cycle sales are down. A huge multi bike dealer in Renton is out of business. Why? Ask the teamster union and the operators unions how many guys are waiting on the call list these days. In a bad economy, repair shops are busier. The age of owned cars is creeping up. New car sales are cyclical and if it was great, the low interest rates and rebates would disappear. GM just told their employees, if they want a new car to drive, they are buying a VOLT or the employee will PAY for the car.

While you crow about the bull market, obviously to give credit to Potus, be sure and subtract the rate of inflation from your earnings. I hear its about 8%. The market went up every time they printed more money. Gold doesnt go up when the dollar is strong. If politicians were so damn good at creating bull markets, they wouldnt need insider trading.

#744905 - 03/04/12 07:00 AM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Fast and Furious]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

LE

Nothing you say makes one lick of sense. Nothing. I shouldnít try to have a discussion with one who is so uninformed and illogical. But I do find your ramblings funny. You mix up goofy "facts" about the economy and the market, add in personal observations, jump to erroneous conclusions and blather like a tweeker on a soapbox. Or maybe like an itinerant preacher at a boat ramp?

One of your "facts" is that inflation is about 8%. Wrong! You are not even close. Look it up. Maybe you can get in the habit of learning the facts before you spew.

U.S. auto companies are hurting? Yep, poor ole GM just reported a record profit.

The S&P 500 is a pretty good measure of the market. How many stocks have they dropped and added since the bust? Where would it be had they not made those changes. You donít know Ė do you?

The fact remains the market has staged a very nice rebound and those of us who stayed in made a nice return. No smoke. No mirrors. Just Ford bought at $1.75 and now $13.00. Apple bought at $89, and now at $540. etc. etc. etc. All Iím saying is that the market has rebounded nicely. That is a simple fact and is unchanged by your blather.

Many were predicting a DOW of 6,000 by now. The fact it is at 13,000 has nothing to do with the occasional dropping of poor performers and adding in new companies. It simply represents the perceived future values of those companies. Are todayís bulls right? Hell I have no idea. But you sure donít either.

You do what you like. With your keen understanding of the market I'm guessing you will be wealthy soon if you are not already.

Jeesh, I try not to be as insulting as KK but I can sure see why he canít resist in your case.

Edited by Dave Vedder (03/04/12 07:15 AM)

#744907 - 03/04/12 07:35 AM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Dave Vedder]
Banned User Offline
I Banned Myself

Loc: undisclosed location
Short version of any lead eater post ; 'Tell me about the rabbits'

#744910 - 03/04/12 08:30 AM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Dave Vedder]
Hankster Offline
Blue Haired Bay Area Hippie!WILLING DISPENSER OF SAGE ADVICE

Loc: City By The Bay

One of your "facts" is that inflation is about 8%. Wrong! You are not even close. Look it up. Maybe you can get in the habit of learning the facts before you spew.

U.S. auto companies are hurting? Yep, poor ole GM just reported a record profit.

Inflation: Not as low as you think

Poor ol' G.M. just laid off 1,300 workers. wink

Orders for durable goods, a leading indicator for the economy as a whole, recently dropped 4%.

Yep...this economy is just swimming along. rofl

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.
-Robert A. Heinlein

#744915 - 03/04/12 09:00 AM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Hankster]
Dan S. Offline
Sultan of ZZzzzing THE DECIDER

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Every assclown wants to recalculate the CPI using their own terms when their guy isn't in office.

The CPI has been calculated the same way since Hank was young.........so that's like forever or something.........so don't start sniveling now because food and fuel aren't part of the equation.

The markets go up and down short-term due to "imperfect information", meaning there is no way for investors to know everything about every company. If they did, bubbles would cease to exist. But they don't, so bubbles do exist, and the market will correct these bubbles whenever emotion has taken over for fact.......up and down.

Hey LeadEater..........when the market crashes and you're in office, you own it. When the market gains and you're in office, you own it. It really isn't any more complicated than that, right or wrong. Deal.

Bon Scott, Hell Ain't a Bad Place To Be

#744930 - 03/04/12 11:15 AM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Chuck S.]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

So hank you do know u s auto manufactures tired way more employees than theylaid off last 2 years don't you?

I think you would find bad news in a second coming off Christ at least if Obama was in power when it happened.

Try to be happy for America Hank.

Edited by Dave Vedder (03/04/12 11:16 AM)

#744957 - 03/04/12 01:21 PM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Dave Vedder]
Hankster Offline

Relax Dave, those 1,300 laid-off Gubmint Motors workers are part of the Volt team. The gains in employment and profits stem from America's love for trucks and SUV's. Additionally, a Gubmint Motors $18 billion tax break goes a long way in making a profit...you know, one of those tax breaks for the "rich". wink

Did you happen to see in the Big-O's budget there's a 33% increase in the $7,500 incentive to buy one of those goes-35-miles-on-a-full-charge cars? If you bought one of those in CA, you'd have a total of $11,500 (plus access to carpool lanes) in tax-payer provided incentives to pick one of those babies up. thumbs

The second coming of Christ won't help our economy. I'm personally getting tired of beating up on that clown Obama. I'd like him out of office so I can blame a different clown. wink

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.
-Robert A. Heinlein

#763375 - 06/01/12 12:12 PM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Hankster]
parker Offline
JackHammer

Loc: Margaritaville
Well, so much for any gains on the DOW in 2012......

http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/01/investing/stocks-markets/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2
"No one knows you are a dog on the internet." -dog

#763420 - 06/01/12 02:46 PM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: parker]
Chuck S. Offline
Purple Passion

Bastards...................................

All of them. 4 phuggin days from a dividend payout and they pull this sh!t

#763423 - 06/01/12 03:08 PM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Chuck S.]
Hankster Offline

"Wall Street suffered its bloodiest day of the year Friday as U.S. stocks sank more than 2% following an ugly jobs report."

What happened? Unemployment was supposed to be at a rate below 6% by now with the "stimulus". Damn that Bush!

rofl

-Robert A. Heinlein

#763426 - 06/01/12 03:26 PM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: Hankster]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Yeah just look at your graph...F'ING BUSH!!!!

#763428 - 06/01/12 03:41 PM Re: good day for the market ... [Re: stlhead]
Hankster Offline

You're so right! If the "rich" were paying their fair share, there would have been even more money for the stimuless we could have flushed down the sh!thole.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Page 8 of 16 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
Boat cover
Grumpyr
Who's Online
37 registered (Backtrollin, BroodBuster, BGR, Brewer, 43-8, 234rick, Achewter, bdrlgion, 6 invisible), 124 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jeff Bynum, Grady208, ReefSkunk, Holy Cow, jklmno809103
10874 Registered Users
Top Posters
Hankster 22208
Todd 21054
Chuck S. 14118
parker 12193
Banned User 11366
STRIKE ZONE 11127
Salmo g. 10995
Dan S. 10949
Slab Happy 10479
eyeFISH 10430
Forum Stats
10874 Members
18 Forums
72861 Topics
836780 Posts

Max Online: 596 @ 05/24/12 12:35 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2014 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | LINKS | STORE | SITE HELP & FAQ |