Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#745110 - 03/05/12 01:09 PM New guns
GEAR MONGER 2 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Snohomish Co, Wa
I already mentioned I bought a AR-10 IN .243. Friday I went to Kesselrings, and picked up another CZ American 452 in 17hmr. My old one is shot out. I will have cascade armory in Arlington either take a few threads off (if possible) and set it back...or rebarrel it. For what a new barrel costs a guy can just get a new one. My old one still looks new, and these things are great guns imho. The 452 has been discontinued, and replaced by a switch barreled version called the 455. There are still a few around to be had, but soon they may be hard to find. Wholesale sports in Burlington has a bull barreled 452 for 410.00. I almost got it, and may yet. I payed a little more for a lighter walking version. It was $429,99 at kesselrings. The target was right at 3/8" at 50 meters so I snapped it right up. I shot it yesterday and Im excited. Its gonna work!
Next I bought a Tikka T-3 in 300wm. Its got a 24" ss barrel, and synthetic stock. Its a light gun, but the recoil is not too bad. I have a old trashco 36x scope in the safe I use for load development. Thats on it now. Not too sure what I will put on top of it, but it will be good glass, and have some weight too it to help tame it a bit. Anyway....So far it shoots GREAT! I just threw togather 40 break in loads with h4831 and sierra 165 bthp. Once I had it on target. All shots went threw 3/4" and it was a little windy yesterday. Today looks worse, but I'm just breaking them in. Time to get going. It takes a while with all the cleaning.
Have a good day folks!

#745142 - 03/05/12 02:37 PM Re: New guns [Re: GEAR MONGER 2]
redhook
Unregistered

check out Millett scopes, very good for the money... exposed turret, long range marksman scopes...

#745419 - 03/06/12 12:41 PM Re: New guns [Re: ]
GEAR MONGER 2 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: redhook
check out Millett scopes, very good for the money... exposed turret, long range marksman scopes...

I will. Thanks!

The groups opened up a bit yesterday. I was still breaking the barrel in. I fired 30 rds, and everything was in 1 1/2". My shoulder is not use to that much action out of a 300wm. I need a lead sled. I was going to use the rings that came on the tikka. For some reason. I don't trust them. The guys at kesselrings said they were fine, and I believe them, but I think I will go with a 30mm tube so I have to decide if I'm going with leupold rings, and bases like I usually do. I have a vortex that was going on the AR, but maybe I will put it on the 300. Its a 4x16, and thats the power range I like. I sure have heard nothing but good about the vortex's. A 5 to 15 nxs would be good too. There are plenty of cheaper choises, and I'm not afraid to try somthing new. I have heard good things about millet. The TRS-1 looks like it would be about right but 1/10 mil adj would be some cranking. 300 bucks is a good deal.Decisions..decisions..

The cz is in need of a trigger job...bad. Thats on the table for today. Its quite possibly the worst trigger I have ever pulled. It should clean up nice tho.

It sure would be a nice day to be fishing!! I'm kinda focused on the guns right now. I don't know why I take on a bunch of projects when its almost time to head to Alaska for 6 months..

#745421 - 03/06/12 12:49 PM Re: New guns [Re: GEAR MONGER 2]
j 7 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Your monitor
Originally Posted By: GEAR MONGER 2
My shoulder is not use to that much action out of a 300wm. I need a lead sled.

Yes, do that before you buy anything else. I joined the lead sled little girls club recently and its awsome how much recoil they take off. Shot about 80 rounds of several [Bleeeeep!] kicking calibers this weekend and they all felt like a .22 mag or less. Less recoil concious, felt better, and more confident with my groups. Get the led sled plus when it goes on sale. I have seen it for $90 at times.

j7 2012

#745427 - 03/06/12 01:11 PM Re: New guns [Re: j 7]
GEAR MONGER 2 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Ive missed out the last couple times they have been on sale. Cabelas had them for 100 bucks a while back, and when I got there they were out. I should have backordered one. I don't like recoil. WAAAA...When I take the big guns out, and shoot a few groups out of each one. I'm flinching before I finish the job.

#745570 - 03/06/12 11:01 PM Re: New guns [Re: ]
GEAR MONGER 2 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Well so far red accuracy is nothing to get excited about. im just getting started, and tried 4 factory loads, and loaded 58 gr vax and 87 vmax, and some 95ssts over various different ppwders. Its probably no secret that when I load some 70 and 80 gr bullits it should do better..i hope. Its shooting up to their guarentee. 1 1/2 " TO 2". Its been windy the last 3 days, and I shot all 3 of them. All 3 barrels are broke in now so I shoud be homing in on something thats going to work soon,,, but I am taking a 3 day break to do some springer fishin....more later..lol

#745642 - 03/07/12 10:37 AM Re: New guns [Re: GEAR MONGER 2]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
The thought of a .243 gasser has intrigued for a long spell. Fondled a '15 at the LGS yesterday that was built on a MEGA upper. Very nice unit. MEGA's Maten billet set sportin' a 20" 3-groove, 8-twist Lilja in same would fill that slot in the roster rather nicely....

#745664 - 03/07/12 12:00 PM Re: New guns [Re: Driftin']
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

Driftin-

Did you and BigStick happen to attend the same grade school by chance?

You choice and usage of words are oddly similar.

Just an observation.
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#745665 - 03/07/12 12:05 PM Re: New guns [Re: Driftin']
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I've always liked 1/4" pills, 6mm Rem being my favorite.
There's a new kid on the block with the boiler room of the .243 and that nice long neck of the 6mm Rem....
Supposed to be easier on barrels and case prep sounds easy. Because it's a Whitley creation, it's very likely all true.
http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html
http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek0102/

#745693 - 03/07/12 01:20 PM Re: New guns [Re: JTD]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: JTD

Just an observation.

Unlike some, at least both he and I graduated.

Just an observation.... wink

#745696 - 03/07/12 01:28 PM Re: New guns [Re: Driftin']
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Oh... I graduated and honestly I didn't mean it as a personal attack as much as a question noting some similarities.
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#745755 - 03/07/12 05:48 PM Re: New guns [Re: JTD]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres

Driftin-

Just an observation.

+1

#745762 - 03/07/12 06:16 PM Re: New guns [Re: JTD]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

"Gun Rag 101"
A home study course.

wink

#746236 - 03/09/12 07:36 PM Re: New guns [Re: Direct-Drive]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

DD,
Read the Accurate Shooter Super LR article a month or two ago. Necking does lead to good things, but I'll likely stick with the present course of a .243, or possibly its improved version, in either a gas-impingement ("gasser") AR or custom turnbolt.

As for those who seem to have their collective panties in a twist over a few sentences of my prose in this thread resembling that of a certain internet forum recidivist, I defer to your obvious sensitivities....

#746249 - 03/09/12 08:04 PM Re: New guns [Re: Driftin']
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

I like .222 better than .223/5.56 and 6mm Rem over .243
It's the neck.

#746384 - 03/10/12 01:44 PM Re: New guns [Re: Direct-Drive]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

That is funny since I was willing to let it go after Direct was nice enough to offer you an excuse at my expense even though I am very familiar with firearm terminology and colloquialisms.

While some seem to be able to pull it off, I find your self-described prose as contrived and neither poetic or eloquent; I find it annoying mostly and while you do seem to have meaningful content it is lost in the delivery.

The panties are fine in this household actually and I really don't care how you choose to phrase your posts with mixed connotation and bizzare verbiage. I only intended to tease you, so...

FondlIn'? Sportin'?

You forgot one-

Laffin.

#746529 - 03/11/12 05:44 AM Re: New guns [Re: JTD]
GEAR MONGER 2 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

FIGHT!!!!! LOL

I decided on another Nightforce for a scope to go on the 300. A 3.5x15 this time. The gun has a bit more weight now. Time to work up some hunting loads.

This is the wrong spot for a fishin report, but if we can squabble on the hunting forum I guess we can fish too. Swanny was good to me. He got me my springers, so its been salmon steaks for dinner this weekend.

#746559 - 03/11/12 02:34 PM Re: New guns [Re: JTD]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Laffin.

Considering your initial accusation, you missed the obvious irony....

While the topic of this thread, and my initial unpoetic post, is *new guns,* seems you are the only one that still has a twist. Accordingly, I will spell it out for you:

Based upon my display name, contractions are a likely attribute of my casual writing style. Most readers are capable of filling in the blanks....

Let us try a little Solve et Coagula for either your relentless solipsism or simple lack of anything better to do, shall we? You have a new gun in your sights?

#746560 - 03/11/12 02:36 PM Re: New guns [Re: GEAR MONGER 2]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: GEAR MONGER 2
Swanny was good to me. He got me my springers, so its been salmon steaks for dinner this weekend.

Congrats!

#746866 - 03/12/12 10:53 PM Re: New guns [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Nope the .243 Win won't fit in the mouse frame.

For more range in factory loaded rounds...
6.5 Grendel
.243 WSSM (spendy) He also has a 6mm DTI that is a 6mm x 6.8 SPC
http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/index.html

If you handload there is a 6mm x Grendel called 6mmAR
http://www.6mmar.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (wolverine, eddie, 1 invisible), 1266 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |