Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#74633 - 05/26/06 02:20 PM Disabled Fishing Licenses
dshade Offline
Egg

Loc: Pt. Orchard, Wa.
I am disabled and on a small fixed income.
I have been told through the game department that
In order to change the disabillitie definitions for the state of Washington for license fees that
every one has to contact thier senators.To have them bring it to the house to change the law.
Currently a person has to be wheel chair bound to
apply for the lower license rates.I can't make it to the end of a dock to fish but I am not in a chair I am on SSI dissabilitie and every knows how hard that is to get on.All I'm asking is for the State to reconize the Federal SSI requirements for the dissabilitie license.
All most all other states do reconize the SSI
requirements for the licenses but nut Washington.
So if any ony would please thier senators about this it would be greatly apreciated by many thousands of disabled that can't afford the high license fees but still want to be able to take thier grand children fishing or just continue the
pastime. Thank you very much for your time.
A new member DShade wink

#331751 - 02/07/07 02:25 AM Re: Disabled Fishing Licenses [Re: dshade]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
DShade: I know it is NOT necessary to be wheelchair bound to get a Washington disabled license. I do not know about the SSI rules, but the state does recognise a military disability for which you receive a pension. I know tow guys who get the disabled lice4nses and they are both quite cpaable of walking without a wheelchair.

You might want to contact someone at the Dept and get a copy of the actual regulations.

Good LUck!

#331753 - 02/07/07 02:32 AM Re: Disabled Fishing Licenses [Re: Dave Vedder]
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
Yea I hope it works out for the best..

I don't know much about the rules but I'm sure you could call someone to get it clarified...

I don't think you have to be in a wheelchair to get a disabled license....
You don't have to be to get a Handicap parking thing for a car so why for a fishing license? Sounds wrong though to me....

#331773 - 02/07/07 09:49 AM Re: Disabled Fishing Licenses [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
Dalmar Offline
Smolt

Loc: Western Wa.
If you haven't already applied, fill out the application and mail it in. You will hear from them within a week or two, stating whether you qualify or not. Don't just take someone's word on the qualifications required to receive the reduced fees. Good luck! Bill

#361154 - 06/30/07 12:40 AM Re: Disabled Fishing Licenses [Re: Dalmar]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm in the same boat as you dshade. I have to sit in a chair to fish can't walk more that 100' without a break. To get reduced fee license you must be:
Blind or visually impaired
Developmentally disabled
Physically disable and permanently confined to a wheelchair
Resident qualified veteran with a 30%or more service-connected disable
You may be able to get a Designated Harvester Card but that doesn't reduce the license fee.

The General

#362454 - 07/11/07 01:39 PM Re: Disabled Fishing Licenses [Re: Anonymous]
Sofa King Blazed Offline
Eyed Egg

I have the Disabled Fishing License.

My doctor wrote a letter explaining the condition(s) and I took it downtown to the WDFW office.
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I have nerve damage in my back which affect my legs, plus 2 bad knees. I set off metal detectors at the airport sometimes.

I didn't qualify for the reduced rate. Also, don't think having the license will really open up any real "sweet" spots for you, as most of the spots require you to actually be bound to a wheelchair, be under 15 years old, or be blind.

The designated harvester card is a pretty neat gig if you are into crabbing or shellfish, but you still have to be within 1/4 mile of the guy doing the work for you. I think unobstructed view also comes into play.

I say if you have a disabled fishing license, then you qualify to fish disabled fishermen spots, regardless if you are in a wheelchair or not. Doesn't make much sense to me to have this paper and it not really do me that much good. I've only used the thing maybe 5 times in the last 3 years.

Good argument on the federal vs. the state requirements.

#369470 - 08/17/07 08:18 PM Re: Disabled Fishing Licenses [Re: Sofa King Blazed]
lovetofish365 Offline
Hahahaha haha ha

Loc: Silverdale WA
I know one of my cutomers went thru the ringer trying to get a license...but he is wheelchair bound...i never talk to him personally but talk to the woman that takes care of him...i know she said they finnally did get out last year, but i belive it was a trip to Olympia and a very large hassle...
Im gald that they dont just give these to everyone, but it should not be so hard...although i dont know how many people i see get handicap parking, and dont need it at all...
what makes it worse, i think he is only really able to get out once or twice if he is lucky a year...
you are right, it should be eaisier, but not as easy as getting a handicap parking permit....c

#394806 - 12/10/07 01:40 PM Re: Disabled Fishing Licenses [Re: lovetofish365]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah I have a buddy that is missing a leg and they told him no also, cause he is not confined to wheelchair permanently. I agree something needs to be done.

#399087 - 12/24/07 11:02 AM Re: Disabled Fishing Licenses [Re: Anonymous]
Chetco Offline
Smolt

Loc: OR
I can only speak from a vets point when I was in Wa I had a disabled licenses no trouble at all with WA. Now that I'm in OR I have a lifetime license just need to pay for my stamp.I also have a harvest card so my wife can clam in line of sight if possable but it's ok if that can't be done.Not able to get my wife to dig as of yet maybe someday.

#399250 - 12/25/07 09:18 AM Re: Disabled Fishing Licenses [Re: Chetco]
fishforlife Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: redmond wash
lovetofish once the feds says your Disabled then u can get a parking permit regardless what your disablity is heck i have heart failure and can get any of the permits i need except a fishing license and your wrong how easy it is to get them. just because u think they dont need the parking permit. heck am not looking to take the spot that a person in a wheel chair needs to fish am just mad that i cant get a reduce fee for the fishing licence.

Edited by fishforlife (12/25/07 09:29 AM)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
cheaper2buyfish@grocerystore, EastCreek, Guidewest, NeverEnoughPTO
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1179 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |