LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#74655 - 02/05/02 02:58 PM Any blacktail muzzleloaders out there?
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

I'm listening.

#74656 - 02/05/02 03:44 PM Re: Any blacktail muzzleloaders out there?
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
I've been known to hunt blacktails with a muzzleloader now and then. I usually hunt down by Mt. Rainier on the Champion timberland it's one of those pay to play spots that costs $13 per day or $27 for three days. I like it down there because it cuts down on the pressure so you have about 120,000 acres almost to yourself, I can't remember seeing more than 5-6 hunters per day. It also has some huge blacktail bucks and bull elk. It's perfect for muzzleloaders cause it's fairly thick, not alot of shots more than about 150-200 yds. I shoot a .54cal CVA inline, with 100grns of pyrodex and a 365grn conical it really hammers those blacktails. Just watch out for those log trucks!

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#74657 - 02/05/02 04:25 PM Re: Any blacktail muzzleloaders out there?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Yup,

That's my preferred method. I got my 14th deer this year, 5th with a ML. The nice thing is lack of competition. I concentrate on special permit hunts, but I still do well when I don't draw a tag.

Most of my hunting takes place around McCleary, but I have a few spots around the state where I know the lay of the land.

I usually use my T/C Thunderhawk in .54 loaded with those Great Plains bullets. Works every time, so far. The T/C has accounted for all of my ML deer, and one elk. I also have an old CVA Hawken that has taken two other elk.

So Eric, now that we have shown you ours....... smile

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#74658 - 02/05/02 05:24 PM Re: Any blacktail muzzleloaders out there?
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Allright!!

I'm not alone! I've gone blackpowder on and off for a number of years but 2 years ago I updated my equipment and am now dedicating all my hunting to this animal with this method.

I ordered a Knight 50 cal. magnum DISC rifle a while back only to find it was illegal in this state (nipple wasn't exposed to the elements). Man! what a nice feeling rifle. It's my own fault I guess as I should have done my homework better. So, I returned it and bought a Remington model 700ML 50 cal. stainless barrel. Doesn't have the feel of a Knight but it sure shoots consistent. One shot did the job quickly and cleanly on this year's deer. I use 100 gr. of pyrodex with 265 gr. Knight sabots.

I go between 3 units depending on time of year and weather: Satsop, Lincoln and Coweeman and much prefer the late hunt because the weather is nastier.....gets the deer moving better.

#74659 - 02/05/02 11:17 PM Re: Any blacktail muzzleloaders out there?
Buck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Tumwater Wa
I went this year for the first time, I bought a marlin inline about years ago. I use 100 grns pyrodex pellets and precison boatail sabots 300grns. I didn't get a deer this year but came close. I just didn't want to shoot a doe. I had a lot of fun doing it though. I have to admidt it is a lot harder than modern rifle hunting. eek

#74660 - 02/06/02 10:53 AM Re: Any blacktail muzzleloaders out there?
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Buck,

It may be harder but isn't it nice having the woods more or less to yourself without having to wear hunter orange? Modern rifle season just became too much of a pain in the a**.

#74661 - 02/07/02 12:00 AM Re: Any blacktail muzzleloaders out there?
Buck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Tumwater Wa
Eric, Yes it was nice not having the woods crawling with people, I think I enjoyed the late season a little better than the early season. I have to say I was surprised I wasn't able to harvest a deer early season. But that is why they call it hunting. I did have fun though. I got a little frustrated a couple of times.
Buck

#74662 - 02/07/02 12:47 AM Re: Any blacktail muzzleloaders out there?
Fisherdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn, Wa, USA
So, I'm hoping those saboted bullets you're shooting are pure lead? Jacketed bullets are also illegal for muzzleloading in Washington . smile

I'm a confirmed muzzleloader hunter. Even hunted with Dogfish a little this year as a result of meeting on this board. I picked up a muzzleloader 20+ years ago as a teenager in Utah and never went back.

I shoot a T/C Firehawk .54 cal. I shoot pyrodex Select (100 grains for deer, 140 grains for elk). For bullets I use 400 grain Harvester bullets (www.claybusterwads.com). I love them. I was fortunate enough to draw a limited entry bull tag last season and anchored a great 6X6 bull with one shot at just over 100 yards. He went 15 yards after the shot. I've now shot 7 elk with them (4 cows, 1 spike, and the smallest 4X4 imaginable) and it's only taken a total of 8 shots. Hit them in the boiler with a Harverter and they are going down. Sorry, I'll get off my Harverster soap box. smile

I keep hoping aginst all odds that I'll draw another bull tag this year..... Any of you know where I can find a poacher to turn in for the preference points?

Fisherdan

#74663 - 02/07/02 12:55 AM Re: Any blacktail muzzleloaders out there?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Hey Dan,

Just get your AHE certification and you can hunt with me for elk on private property. 3 cows in 4 years, all drawn because of that master hunter program.

I think Eric was one of those "road hunters" wink we saw when we were down in the bottom of those clearcuts. (Just kidding, Eric)

Look forward o hunting with you again this year. BTW, let me know before you put in for your permits.

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#74664 - 02/07/02 03:00 PM Re: Any blacktail muzzleloaders out there?
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Fisherdan,

Yes, those saboted bullets are all lead.

Road hunter, eh?...me? Give me a big patch of older second growth and I'll die a happy camper wink

#74665 - 02/07/02 11:04 PM Re: Any blacktail muzzleloaders out there?
josh870 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Everett, WA, usa
I to have hunted champion with my muzzloader. most of my deer have been taken with BP. have you hunted it recently? it has changed owners. i went down this year like i did a few years ago and stopped at the store like i always did to get my day permit. (i am in marysville). and they dont sell them anymore. she thought they were yearly now and you had to get them in the mail. so i drove to the gate and there was no one in the guard shack. so i dont know what the deal is now.

#74666 - 02/08/02 01:27 AM Re: Any blacktail muzzleloaders out there?
Fisherdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn, Wa, USA
Andy:

I'm going to break down and order the AHE package.

And we will coordinate permit apps before they go in... We can probably get that settled between landing springers at F4 smile

Fisherdan

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1023 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645360 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |