Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#748241 - 03/17/12 11:01 PM Best set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Okay, I'm still setting up my new truck. I need an interior rod rack for the fiberglass canopy. The truck has a short box - 6 1/2 feet. Canopy has a carpet-like liner. I do not want to be drilling any holes thru the fiberglass. Ideal set up would hold six- ten rods. Ideas? photos.

Edited by Dave Vedder (03/17/12 11:15 PM)

#748244 - 03/17/12 11:06 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: Dave Vedder]
MikeH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washington
I am trying to figure out a way to set it up when I get a new canopy. I was thinking of trying to find one that could suction cup to the window portion of the topper and run rod racks on both sides of the canopy. Haven't found ones that will work yet.

#748254 - 03/17/12 11:21 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: MikeH]
c&b Offline
Parr

Loc: Kitsap County
My Daughter gave me a setup called "Rod Saver- Vehicle Rod Carrier system" for x mas. It holds 7 rods and is attached to the window molding of the canopy of my Toyota Tacoma, simply removed 4 screws, put the d rings on and screwed them back in. Works like a champ. It is a web style system, rod butt end slips thru pre sewm hoops and rod tips are held by velcro closure.

#748256 - 03/17/12 11:22 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: c&b]
c&b Offline
Parr

Loc: Kitsap County
I think she got it at Bass Pro Shop- she lives on East Coast

#748258 - 03/17/12 11:26 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: MikeH]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: MikeH
I am trying to figure out a way to set it up when I get a new canopy. I was thinking of trying to find one that could suction cup to the window portion of the topper and run rod racks on both sides of the canopy. Haven't found ones that will work yet.

On the window would be too low for me.
You want the rack as high as possible for max clearance and minimum visibility from the outside.

The canopy carpet acts like the "loop" side of the Velcro system.
I would look at the modified shower curtain solution.

The shower curtain that you want is the commercial type that has to be cut to fit. One end is threaded and this is what applies pressure to the opposing walls.
Convert the ends to Velcro "hook".
Wrap the aluminum tubes with tape or non-slip drawer liner.
Pony tail, cloth covered rubber bands are placed over the back tube prior to assembly. These control the butt ends.

A twist tie or the sexier cord stopper + 1/8" shock cord works for the tip ends. There are some heavy duty, reusable twist ties in the hardware stores, now.

There are some pre-built commercial overhead rod rack solutions, but I haven't seen any that I would want.
I especially don't like the sagging, strap type.

#748262 - 03/17/12 11:30 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: Chuck S.
Dave - take a look at bottom of this page. They didnt use screws to mount so maybe call them and ask how they did it?

http://www.raidercaps.com/Accessories

I had these in my Snug Top....they're Berkleys and attach with screws.
I took them out. Not practical for my style of rods and they were in the wrong spot.

I can see that the roof of that canopy is reinforced, so they had clearance for the screws.

#748263 - 03/17/12 11:31 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: c&b]
SeaDNA Offline
Returning Adult

I bought a canopy (Leer, high top) for a Toyota Tundra 2 years ago at Canopy World in Lynnwood. They installed two wide clothes hanging racks - see this link - http://www.leer.com/Accessories - scroll down to folding clothes hangers. No holes into the canopy top. While they are not specifically designed for holding fishing rods, 2 work well. I use a few strips of velcro to keep the rods from moving laterally on these.

#748267 - 03/17/12 11:42 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: SeaDNA]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
When ordering canopy's, you can request backing installed for rod racks. You could also remove some of the carpet and glue some wood mounting blocks in the right area's. Don't see any reason you could not get some more of the same carpet and cover up the wood blocks.

#748268 - 03/17/12 11:42 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: SeaDNA]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Here's an idea....
Throw down for the Yakima or Thule rack system and then utilize the through-bolts to adapt to my system
(if you have the standard thickness roof).
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/forum...html#Post711343

Full ceiling width, 3/16" x 1-1/2" aluminum flat bar, shaped to the curve of the canopy ceiling and the rubber hooks. You would "borrow" a total of 4 of the Yakima bolts to carry the two bars.
That would be bullet proof, achieve maximum elevation and be very sanitary.

#748278 - 03/18/12 12:38 AM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: Direct-Drive]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I take it this means that Tye will be up front driving?

#748280 - 03/18/12 12:50 AM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: ParaLeaks]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Tye is quite happy in the back seat.

#748283 - 03/18/12 01:18 AM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: Direct-Drive]
MikeH Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive
Originally Posted By: MikeH

On the window would be too low for me.
You want the rack as high as possible for max clearance and minimum visibility from the outside.

I would also rather have the rack on the top of the the canopy but I have yet to see a set up that I would be happy with. I have also not put too much time or effort into looking or coming up with something either.
This is a little low on the list of priorities due to the fact that I need my new canopy first. haha

#748317 - 03/18/12 11:30 AM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: MikeH]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Dave, are there "ribs" in the roof of your canopy? Maybe an inside pic would help.

#748319 - 03/18/12 11:38 AM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: ParaLeaks]
BigRedHead Offline
Smolt

Loc: WA, King
I just friction fit 2 boards cut to length above the windows on the canopy put some hd velcro on the butt end and put a metal loop on the front end can fit 8 or so rods fairly easily doubling up on a few slots or run 6 straight accross , on the next one i make i will be using pvc for the sleeves.

#748328 - 03/18/12 12:20 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: BigRedHead]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Slab,

No Ribs.

Cabelas has this for $20.00 They say it comes with mounting hardware which I assume is screws, but I'm thinking I can find a good glue that will hold it.

Then they have this for $140.00 which is waaaaay more than I want to spend.

Edited by Dave Vedder (03/18/12 12:34 PM)

#748334 - 03/18/12 12:42 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: Dave Vedder]
MikeH Offline
Spawner

The top one looks nice Dave. If you do end up getting it and glueing it let me know how it works out.

#748336 - 03/18/12 12:50 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: Dave Vedder]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder
Slab,

No Ribs.

Cabelas has this for $20.00 They say it comes with mounting hardware which I assume is screws, but I'm thinking I can find a good glue that will hold it.

Then they have this for $140.00 which is waaaaay more than I want to spend.

That white molded product would work if you can find a way to attach it.
Maybe some 1x4 that was cut a little long would be able to be "convinced" to nest into the carpeting above the window frames. Get the chopsaw out and do some trial and error with some 1x.
Then the white molded product would be mounted to the top of the 1x4 if there was available clearance.
If not, then mount to the bottom of the 1x4 (or 1x3).

With this rack (white) it looks like rods can be manipulated while just reaching into the truck.....this is a big plus.
On rough roads they could bounce out unless they were twist-tied at the tips especially.

The second one pictured would require constant crawling back to manipulate the tip end. A big pain in the a$$.

#748340 - 03/18/12 01:07 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: Direct-Drive]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

As I think this through Dave, you could possibly get what you need with some 1x4 and a hole saw.

Clear cedar would be a good choice because it's light.
The flat 1x's would go in first and then you would form a tee shape with the "holed" pieces on top if there was clearance.
If not they would go on the bottom.

Basically a hole-sawn piece of 1x would replace the store-bought, white molded product.

#748348 - 03/18/12 01:39 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: Direct-Drive]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Then add some rubber or vinyl grommets of the appropriate bore diameter/cedar thickness to line the holes in DD's design....

Link

#748367 - 03/18/12 02:38 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: Driftin']
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Finding an adhesive that will bond to fiberglass and nylon, delrin, uhmw could be tough. If you are not too attached to the carpet liner, you could remove all or part of it and glass in a metal base to hold the screws. Simple rectangluar tubing would not have to be more than 1/2 x 1 inch thick and you could cut two long pieces or four short.

Otherwise a truck vault $$$$$ or a simple false bottom in the bed would allow invisible rod storage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |