LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#74829 - 02/25/02 06:10 PM Benelli camo paint peeling?
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
I'm thinking fo getting a Benelli Nova Pump for my B-Day and was looking at the nova pump in camo.

I have heard that the camo paint will peel off of it, has anyone expierenced this?

My buddy has the black one and likes it. I was just wonderin if i should invest or go for somethin else?

Thanks
Tyler

#74830 - 02/25/02 07:36 PM Re: Benelli camo paint peeling?
DM Offline
Smolt

Loc: WASHINGTON
Tyler I have never heared of this and I Dont know your thoughts on shot guns but I sure like my 835 Ulti mag Mossberg, its got a camo job and it has held up nicely.

just some advice

#74831 - 02/25/02 09:10 PM Re: Benelli camo paint peeling?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I bought the parkerized Ulti-mag and did the camo job myself. Cost me about 8 bucks in paint. Very simple to do. The ducks and geese don't care if you have the latest and greatest camo pattern. While cool, I have a hard time justifying the added expense some companies charge for the feature. Some companies want as much as $100 or more for the feature.

If the gun isn't a collectors item, the paint shouldn't matter. In one case I couldn't sell an old Mossberg in blue for $75 at a garage sale. Next year, while painting it's replacement, I shot the old one with a coat of paint and sold it for $150.

Buy the black synthetic version.

Tear the gun down to basic parts, pump, receiver/stock, barrel, etc.
Lightly sand any plastic parts with 200 grit sand paper. Just scuff them up a bit.
Tape off any pieces that enter the action, like the action bars.
Cover all holes into the barrel, receiver and magazine tube.
Clean with rubbing alcohol to remove the grease and oil.
Shoot the gun with a coat of primer.
Shoot the gun with a coat or two of your favorite green camo paint.
Overlay a fern frond and lightly hit it with black paint.
Your done.

When it comes time to sell the gun, strip the paint with a toothbrush and paint thinner and either leave it clean, or shoot another coat of camo and start it's next owner out with a "fresh" gun.

If you scratch it, you can strip it EASILY, and redo the job. It makes the exterior rustproof if you do it before you hunt with the gun. I hunt salt water a fair amount, so I have dealt with rust in the past. Never an issue after I did the paint.

ANDY

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#74832 - 02/25/02 11:13 PM Re: Benelli camo paint peeling?
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
I dont think it's possible for the finish to come off, everything I've seen about the finish is that it's a permanant finish thats applied by dipping it in a tank at the factory. A couple months back DU magazine did an article on the new finishes by Mossberg and Bennelli and the editors of DU said it was an extremly durable finish, that should last years.

Personally, I've painted 2 shotguns, an 870 and an 835 using the same teqnique as Dogfish and was very pleased at the outcome. Not only did I save about $90 on the price of the gun, I was also able to custom camo to fit where I hunt most.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#74833 - 02/27/02 08:21 PM Re: Benelli camo paint peeling?
lugnutt Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Olympia
TTT- I ahve a Beretta Silver Mallard (12ga, 3 in ) with the camo finish. It is the best waterfowl gun I have used. never had a jam even though it is an auto.

#74834 - 02/27/02 11:07 PM Re: Benelli camo paint peeling?
River Riches Offline
Alevin

Loc: Steilacoom, Wa
Either way on the Camo you should be fine.
Benelli quality is outstanding. Whether you are getting a pump or especially if you are getting an auto loader, Benelli is the way to go!

#74835 - 03/25/02 07:17 PM Re: Benelli camo paint peeling?
Pintail Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Snohomish
If you hunt in Western Wash. near salt water you will eventually loose your paint if your not careful.

Around here I like to hunt in the bays north a bit. Salt water / air will destroy your gun!! I have seen this happen to my super black eagle and many other guns. I have seen after 1 day my remington 1187 get permanent scars in the blueing.

Carry gun oil and a cloth when hunting around the sound. An occasional wipe down - like every few hours will save your paint and your GUN!

#74836 - 04/20/02 12:58 AM Re: Benelli camo paint peeling?
Hockana Offline
Juvenille at Sea

My hunting partner bought a NOVA the camo started to peel after a couple of uses,He took the gun back to Kesselring's where he had just bought the gun (first mistake) and they would not help him at all. He contacted Bennelli direct, they not only paid all of the shipping,but sent him a new barrel with in a week of talking to them. Great service. They say that it is rare, but it can or does happen and they will take care of you.Unlike kesseljerks or rings. Good luck

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |