LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#749261 - 03/21/12 11:56 PM Halibut recipes.
Dub Offline
Returning Adult

So how do you all like to cook your butts?

I prefer simple myself. Living alone I have been cooking small pieces on the Foreman grill with light oil and light seasoning. Comes out great. Seared outside and moist inside.

#749302 - 03/22/12 10:18 AM Re: Halibut recipes. [Re: Dub]
fishmaster Offline
Spawner

Loc: Rowers Seat
Place your butt on a bed of grilled onions and top with a mixture of equal parts of Mayo, sour cream, and parmesan cheese. Cook until golden brown on 350-375.

#749314 - 03/22/12 11:29 AM Re: Halibut recipes. [Re: fishmaster]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Loc: COF in the Upper Left Hand Cor...
Equal parts brown sugar & cajun blackening season, pat on both side light amounts, and either grill or bake. Works great on salmon too.

AuntyM -- What Crab Audit???? Not That POS Senior AssHat Published!!!!

Hey Mr Childers, have you corrected that Scofflaw Spreadsheet Yet?????

#749369 - 03/22/12 02:08 PM Re: Halibut recipes. [Re: JohnQ]
bota2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Allyn
Cornflake-Crusted Halibut with Chile-Cilantro Aioli

This is a recipe I found and use it with Ling cod as well. Simply awesome. You don't have to use the fat free ingredients

Aioli:
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro 3 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
1 serrano chile, seeded and minced 1 garlic clove, minced Fish:
1 cup fat-free milk $

1 large egg white, lightly beaten $

2 cups cornflakes, finely crushed 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 ounce) 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon black pepper 2 tablespoons olive oil 4 (6-ounce) halibut fillets 4 lemon wedges $

Preparation
To prepare aioli, combine cilantro, mayonnaise, serrano, and minced garlic, stirring well.
To prepare fish, combine milk and egg white in a shallow dish, stirring well with a whisk. Combine cornflakes, flour, salt, and black pepper in another shallow dish.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Dip fish in milk mixture, and dredge in cornflake mixture. Add fish to pan, and cook 4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Serve fish with aioli and lemon wedges.

#749438 - 03/22/12 05:21 PM Re: Halibut recipes. [Re: bota2]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Panko breading and deep fried in extra light olive oil....spendy but good.Good luck,
SZ

#758298 - 05/08/12 01:59 PM Re: Halibut recipes. [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Extra light olive oil bout a cup / Soy sauce 1/8 a cup / 1 table spoon garlic / Black pepper to taste.Blend with butt in a gallon sized zip loc bag and marinate for one hour then grill on the Q hot & fast for a couple minutes.Good luck,
SZ

The marinade should have a real light brown color if mixed correctly....don't want to much soy as it will over power and be salty.

#759375 - 05/13/12 11:05 AM Re: Halibut recipes. [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
This always gets raves. Sol loved this!

Crush a bag of Tim's jalapeno chips. Dip 2X2X6 strips of butt in mixture of 1/2 and 1/2 flour and corn starch, then dip in egg wash, and then dip in crushed Tim's. Place on paper towels and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Fry hot in fresh oil.
Simply awesome.

Edited by Dave Vedder (05/13/12 11:06 AM)

#759441 - 05/13/12 05:26 PM Re: Halibut recipes. [Re: Dave Vedder]
Dub Offline
Returning Adult

Ooh. Tim's sounds good!

#760018 - 05/15/12 07:45 PM Re: Halibut recipes. [Re: Dub]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I can vouch for Dave's jalapeno chip breading. I tried it on a bunch of bass and panfish fillets after reading his crappie post a couple summers back, and now it's on my list of ways to prepare most any fish. Try it with steelhead sometime... Yum.

Not sure there's any way to prepare halibut that screws it up too bad, but if you like Mediterranean flavors, give this a go:

Halibut (1.5-2 lbs.)
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Flour (~1/2 cup)
Lemon Zest (1T)
Capers (2T)
Kalamata olives (1/4 cup, small dice)
Tomato (1/3 cup, small dice)
Garlic (3 cloves, minced)
Shallots (2T, very small dice)
Whole butter (1/4 cup)
Extra virgin olive oil (1T)
Canola oil (or similar)
Dry white wine (1/2 cup)
Italian parsley (chopped)
Fresh basil (chiffonade) - optional
Lemon wedges

1. Heat a large skillet/sauté pan over med.-med. high heat.
2. While pan heats, season halibut portions with salt and pepper, then dredge them in flour and set aside.
3. When pan is hot, add enough canola oil to cover the bottom and add the fish, flesh side down.
4. Sear until halibut appears cooked halfway up sides, flip, reduce heat to medium, and cook until halibut is done (which, unless you are a cretin, will be well before the fish dries out).
5. Remove halibut from pan and place on a plate to rest.
6. Increase heat to med.-high, add shallots and garlic, and saute until garlic begins to turn golden brown.
7. Add wine to deglaze.
8. When wine has reduced by 1/3, reduce heat to med.-low and add olives, capers, tomatoes, and lemon zest.
9. After sauce has simmered for a minute or two, add the butter and extra virgin olive oil. Continue simmering until sauce thickens slightly. If it needs help, add a small amount of butter and flour combined (roux).
10. Pour sauce over halibut, garnish with parsley and basil, and serve with a lemon wedge. Serve with couscous/rice/etc. and steamed or grilled vegetable of your choice.

I add the extra virgin olive oil at the end because it has a relatively low flash point and can get burned up when used to cook with high heat. Same principle applies to sesame oil. Canola oil does very little to affect any of the flavors and has a higher flash point, so I use it to cook the fish.

#760027 - 05/15/12 08:03 PM Re: Halibut recipes. [Re: FleaFlickr02]
gvbest Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Silverdale, WA
Tried fishmaster's recipe on some fresh halibut for a mother's day dinner and it was great and the wife was enjoying it which made it even better.

#767192 - 06/20/12 12:50 PM Re: Halibut recipes. [Re: fishmaster]
jalarcon Offline
Egg

Loc: burbank ca
I recall a store that would fry all kinds of fish in a fryer and taste so great.

#767860 - 06/22/12 10:05 PM Re: Halibut recipes. [Re: jalarcon]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Dave's recipe is the bomb...These two are my fav's and the only way I tend to prepare Halibut anymore cause I like it so much..:

1 clove garlic, minced
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 whole lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
2 (6 ounce) fillets halibut

1. In a stainless steel or glass bowl, combine garlic, olive oil, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and parsley.
2. Place the halibut filets in a ziplock bag, and pour the marinade over the fish. Cover or seal and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour, turning occasionally.
3. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate. Med-high on my grill....Set grate 4 inches from the heat.
4. Remove halibut filets from marinade and drain off the excess. Grill filets 5 minutes per side or until fish is done when easily flaked with a fork.

OR, even better:

My new favorie recipe:

2 lb halibut fillet
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped green onions
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 cups crushed Ritz crackers
1 large yellow or Walla Walla onion, sliced
1/4 cup butter

Melt butter in a large frying pan. Add sliced onion and sauté until onion is translucent then spread evenly over bottom of baking pan; set aside.
In a bowl mix together sour cream, mayonnaise, green onions and lemon juice. Arrange halibut over top of a bad of onions in baking pan. Spread sour cream and mayonnaise mixture over the top of the halibut. Sprinkle generously with crushed Ritz crackers.

Bake at 375°F for 40-50 minutes (depending on thickness of fish).

#767929 - 06/23/12 10:58 AM Re: Halibut recipes. [Re: Sky-Guy]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
With those recipes Ryley you really need alot more halibut in stock.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#768257 - 06/24/12 10:42 PM Re: Halibut recipes. [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
1. Roll in corn meal and flour, egg dip, Panko or jalapeno chips, fry and eat.

2. Put it in the over with some butter on top, and a little salt and pepper. Eat.

Halibut has a pretty light flavor and I like the flavor of fish rather than the flavor of the sauces or such that you cook it in...even if the sauces or whatever taste good. Save it for fish that either tastes like crap, or has a really strong taste that comes thru it.

To be fair...I think fish tastes good, and hardly ever needs anything on it...in the field on a stick over the fire is about as good as it gets...not much reason to do much more than that at home, either.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#838293 - 05/11/13 12:40 PM Re: Halibut recipes. [Re: ]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
I used the first recipe I posted above last night and got rave reviews from our dinner party. Using this new one tomorrow night:

Halibut Divine

• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon melted butter
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 3 tablespoons dry mustard
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon pepper
• 1 pound halibut fillets, cubed
• 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
• 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 (2.8 ounce) can French-fried onions

Directions

• In a shallow dish, mix the olive oil, butter, lemon juice, dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Place the cubed halibut in the dish, and allow to marinate for 45 minutes in the refrigerator.
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
• Transfer the halibut and marinade mixture to a casserole dish. Spread the sour cream over the halibut, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and top with French fried onions.
• Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until fish is easily flaked with a fork and marinade mixture is bubbly.

#842177 - 06/04/13 11:12 PM Re: Halibut recipes. [Re: Sky-Guy]
lovetofish365 Offline
Hahahaha haha ha

Loc: Silverdale WA
I totally overcooked mine the other day...im gonna have a second go at it prob tomorrow...hahahah

#843931 - 06/15/13 12:47 AM Re: Halibut recipes. [Re: lovetofish365]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Light coating of Veganaise or mayo, goat cheese crumbles and Tim's Jalapeno chips crushed up on top. Bake till golden brown and serve it up.
My wife calls it crunchy butt!

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 310 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645367 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |