Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75052 - 07/31/02 08:41 PM Bighorn Sheep permit - Quilomene
lobo Offline
Fry

Loc: Buckley,WA
I just drew a sheep permit for the Quilomene sheep unit and I'm ready to pee my pants with excitement! I need some help with sheep hunting techniques and with getting familiar with that unit. Maybe some of you fellas can help me out.

Thanks guys!

#75053 - 07/31/02 11:28 PM Re: Bighorn Sheep permit - Quilomene
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
We used to hunt the high buck hunt for deer,and I think the same tactics would work for sheep. We would hike to our spot,getting there before light,and glass,glass,glass,and when we thought our eyes were gonna fall out we glassed some more eek . I can't imagine it's gonna be an easy hunt and I don't think hiking all day is gonna work real well.

This is a once in a lifetime hunt,I'd take the flattest shooting rifle you can find and do alot of range work. You dont want to miss this chance because of a missed shot.

Good luck!!!

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#75054 - 07/31/02 11:53 PM Re: Bighorn Sheep permit - Quilomene
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
Don't know a thing about that hunt but I would spend as much time as you possibly could scouting the area. You'll never get this chance again so take full advantage.
GOOD LUCK MAN!

#75055 - 08/01/02 02:56 PM Re: Bighorn Sheep permit - Quilomene
KNOPHISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN,WA,USA
Sweet dude!!!! 1st thing you do is call the WDFW biologist & they will point you in the right direction. Ask lots of questions as they are very helpful & I think they want you to fill your tag. That is a great unit for sheep. I like to check the harvest reports on the WDFW web site. How many points did you have to get that tag? I can't wait till I get a sheep tag. smile

#75056 - 08/01/02 11:26 PM Re: Bighorn Sheep permit - Quilomene
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Hey Lobo,

Outstanding job on drawing that tag! You'll have an excellent chance in that area. Contact the Region 3 big game biologist as others have suggested and they should be happy to guide you along the right way. If you run into any issues, let me know. One of our family friends is a WDFW big game biologist over here and he should be able to grease the skids on info if your first try fails.

I drew a Quilomene muzzleloader tag this year for Mule deer, and last year my nephew drew a doe tag for the same unit. You should be in for a show as every time I have hunted up there I have seen at least 50 deer and a "butt load" of elk. It is a permit only show for mule deer.

I will be hunting in the Quilomene area for Mule deer from October 1-10th. I know the area fairly well, and would enjoy tagging along as a guide/helper/Mule deer hunter for part of your hunt if you need it, and maybe we could help each other pack our game out. I also have all of the UGSG maps, and a knowledge of where to camp, etc.

I have 4 points towards my bighorn permit, and it may be a while before I draw, but the offer is out there. Check your profile/email for my contact numbers.

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#75057 - 08/02/02 06:11 AM Re: Bighorn Sheep permit - Quilomene
backlash2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Pasco, WA
Lobo,

Way to go!!! With a little planning and time invested you are in for a great hunt. My dad drew this tag last year, and with a little prep work he harvested a very respectable ram about 10 AM opening morning. If you want my advice, this is what my game plan would be;

1.) Contact Jeff "Bernie" Bernitowitz at the Region 3 office. He is the biologist that has covered the Quil for many, many years. His knowledge of the area is great, and he can tell you basically everything you need to know short of actually checking it out for yourself. He can also send you some nicely detailed maps of the unit.

2.) Scout. You can get fairly comfortable with the area in a couple of trips. There is a lot of steep hills there, but that's what the sheep like.

3.) Exercise. I have no idea what kind of shape you're in, but hiking the Quil all day will bust your ass if your not in at least halfway decent shape.

Unfortunately, with 8 tagholders out there this year(and 6 last year) this is not a hunt that you will be able to scout a single sheep and "put him to bed" so to speak. There will be too many people running around in there from now until after the opener to do that. The other guys we saw last year were anything but delicate in how they scouted. These animals are not very spooky most of the rest of the year, but by the time the season opened last year they were.

Post back here if you have anymore questions, I would be glad to help. I have some friends from E'burg that spend a lot of time in that unit, all year long.

#75058 - 08/03/02 01:56 AM Re: Bighorn Sheep permit - Quilomene
Fisher-Dan Offline
Fry

Loc: Auburn, Wa.
Wow Lobo, I'm really happy for you (that's happy spelled J-E-A-L-O-U-S). I have max points for sheep, goats, and moose. Keep hoping to draw, but not yet.

Anyway, one of my sons drew a Quilomene doe tag, so we'll be up there looking around. I'll let you know if I learn anything that could help you out.

In the mean time, if you're alone and looking for a little help, I'd take Dogfish up on his offer. I've hunted and fished with him, and you won't find a better guy to share camp with.

BE SURE TO LET US KNOW HOW YOU DO. I can at least hunt sheep vicariously.

Go get 'em.

Dan

#75059 - 09/19/02 11:08 PM Re: Bighorn Sheep permit - Quilomene
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Hey Lobo,

How has the scouting gone? I'm heading up there next weekend for 3 to 6 days, depending upon my success. Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chad Lee, fish_hunter, Grady 265, pimpinshrimp, Stew, xflyzguy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (20 Gage, Krijack), 455 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |