Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75171 - 09/20/02 10:52 PM Deer season
fish medic Offline
Alevin

Loc: Anacortes
Anybody out there getting as pumped as I am as the opener for deer season draws near?

I usually hunt east side (north) and have seen more and more deer over there each year.

Has anyone done any scouting in the Tonasket/Republic area, or know what to expect for the deer season?

Thanks

F/M

#75172 - 09/21/02 02:02 AM Re: Deer season
On The Hook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Post Falls, Idaho
fish medic

A friend of mine in Okanogan says its been super super dry but has been alot cooler recently like in the 70s and he has seen a lot of deer scouting on the west have of the county and so usually when it comes to the east half(tonasket/ republic) the hunting is better especially if you hunt watering holes real early for mulies and a few whitetail.

I hope that helps some.

(by the way I am from Okanogan originally)

#75173 - 09/21/02 07:33 AM Re: Deer season
fish medic Offline
Alevin

Thanks, it does help. I am leaving this morning for a quick overnight scout trip, maybe find a few grouse. But mainly to look around for the bucks. I'll post when I get back.

#75174 - 09/25/02 01:18 AM Re: Deer season
BASSER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Tacoma Wa,
Did you get lost?
Should we launch a search party.
Or was it good and your holding out on us.

WBS fish medic

#75175 - 09/25/02 01:45 PM Re: Deer season
On The Hook Offline
Returning Adult

Maybe I should have gone along as a scouting guide(would have been nice to get back home for a weekend)and he would have been back to update us LOL!!!!!!!!

#75176 - 09/26/02 12:58 AM Re: Deer season
fish medic Offline
Alevin

Hey, thanks for the concern. Glad I was missed :p . Sorry for my late posting. We got back late Sun night, then I had to travel to Aberdeen for a class, which I just came home from, in time to return to work tomorrow.

Scouting was a little disappointing. Very dry conditions and a burn ban in effect. All the water holes were either dry or close to it, but the ones with water had lots of sign around them. Very few deer sightings, and only 2 had horns, one mule spike, and another mule that was branched, but didnt stand still long enough to count points. Couldnt believe how few grouse there were. All the years previous we would step on them w/o trying, and the only ones we saw on this trip were on the drive out of the woods. Hopefully they will get some rain over there before the season opens, they need it. That tent will be mighty cold without a stove burnin.

Anyone heard anything else about the North Central area?

#75177 - 09/26/02 02:31 PM Re: Deer season
On The Hook Offline
Returning Adult

fish medic

Sorry that you didnt see much up there seems my friends areas are holding a few more deer. He is going to hunt above the Sinlahekin Valley on Douglas, Coxit mountains then probably work his way to Conconully over angel pass.

He just told me about the burn ban and in the past it seems to rain just enough before the season to allow fires so dont dispare yet.

Hopefully for you it will all come together at thelast minute (or alot soner LOL!!!!)

#75178 - 10/10/02 03:10 AM Re: Deer season
powerstrokincowb Offline
Smolt

Loc: Philly via Puyallup
I took a few buddies up there the opener of archery deer season just to shoot grouse. That is where I usually archery hunt, but I will probably go modern somewhere closer now that I am back in school. Anyways, in all of the years that I have hunted there, I have never seen it that dry. ALL of the watering holes that I know of that hold deer (and are surrounded by grouse) were either dry or mud. I have never seen it that dry nor seen that few grouse. We did see more whitetail than usual, and we saw a lot of deer, but all does. Not a single buck in over 50 deer we spotted.

Anyways, that was the beginning of September. Hopefully you will find some nice bucks. By the way, is it combat hunting there during modern season? This was my first time back in about 3 years, and we saw only one set of archery hunters. If we were archery hunting, all three of us could have filled our tags with whitetail does if we wanted to.

Good luck!

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chad Lee, fish_hunter, Grady 265, pimpinshrimp, Stew, xflyzguy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (20 Gage, Krijack), 455 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |