LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75197 - 10/02/02 04:30 AM This just in!!!! Dogfish scores a big buck!
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I just got in the door, haven't had a chance to even shower after three days in the woods. (can you say "ripe"?)

I used my special deer permit to the best of my abilities and passed up shots at a number of tiny deer, and even one nice 3-point with one eye guard. I held out for something bigger, and I got a beautiful 5x5 mule deer! 20 yard shot with my muzzle loader! Gotta love getting close!

I got him just before the end of hunting hours, and dragged him out to the truck just as it got dark. I got to dress him while wearing my headlamp and using the hadlights from the truck as well. Wish I had one of the LED headlamps.

Anyway, it was too dark to take pictures, but I will take some in the morning and post them along with some of my other deer, elk and turkey photos that I took on the trip.

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#75198 - 10/02/02 01:06 PM Re: This just in!!!! Dogfish scores a big buck!
DeKuma Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Covington, WA
Congatulations Andy!
Looking forward to the Pictures.

I am still not sure where I am going to hunt next week (Modern) I am getting bored with my old spots and have not had a chance to scout anything new this year.

But, anytime I am hunting is the best time of my life, so wherever I go it will be great.

#75199 - 10/02/02 03:18 PM Re: This just in!!!! Dogfish scores a big buck!
TRAUT Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: HIDING
Nice going, Andy. Let's see - Bear, Deer, I guess Elk are next. I feel sorry for them!

#75200 - 10/02/02 08:59 PM Re: This just in!!!! Dogfish scores a big buck!
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Here we go, in order.

Here is Jenna with a LARGE blue grouse taken on Monday.

Here is one of the four flocks of turkeys I found.

Jenna pointing to our friend, Spike. We saw him every day within 200 yards of the same spot.

And finally MY deer. He measured 20" on the outside. Not a record book deer, but certainly a trophy for me.

I had hunted all day long, and was second guessing myself for not dropping the hammer on the nice 3-point with one eyeguard. You know how your mood drops when you haven't seen a deer, or when you miss an easy shot? I was there. I wanted to get a 4-point minimum, because I had seen many nice deer on my two scouting days, but the big deer had seemed to disapear.

I decided to hunt this draw just down from camp one more time. On Sunday I had jumped a nice 4-point, so I thought, hey, maybe I'll find him there again. It was getting late, about 20 minutes of shooting time left when I heard a "crack" right behind me. I turned around while I raised my rifle and saw this big deer about 20 yards behing me. I must have almost stepped on him. The minute the rifle hit my shoulder I aquired a good sight picture and I fired, all in one motion.

Other than a LONG drag back to the truck and gutting by 'Petzal headlamp' and headlights, it was a great experience.

#75201 - 10/02/02 09:23 PM Re: This just in!!!! Dogfish scores a big buck!
DeKuma Offline
Juvenille at Sea

That should be a trophy in anyone's book!
He is a beauty.

Where were you hunting at? I see in the first pic that there is a little light snow? I did not realize it had been that cold anywhere yet........

Again, Congratulations! Looks like persistence paid big!

#75202 - 10/02/02 09:31 PM Re: This just in!!!! Dogfish scores a big buck!
DM Offline
Smolt

Loc: WASHINGTON
Nice!! Deer. eek
Hey if you dont mind where was the area you were hunting. I happened to notice the snow or heavy frost with the picture of Jenna with the Blue (wich is also very nice!!)I like the rest of the pictures looked like a very fun trip. Are you planning on dumping a elk this year?

#75203 - 10/02/02 10:25 PM Re: This just in!!!! Dogfish scores a big buck!
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

I was hunting the Quilomene unit. It is permit only for deer! I ran into two other guys with the same tag, but they were miles, about 5 to be exact, away from where I was primarily hunting. Nothing like having the woods to yourself.

And yes, it did snow on me on Monday. I was at about 5000 feet, and both Sunday and Monday morning I awoke to temperatures in the 20's.

#75204 - 10/02/02 10:32 PM Re: This just in!!!! Dogfish scores a big buck!
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
You bag any turkeys?

Is it legal to hunt there for turks and grouse and the rest of the birds?

Nice deer!! This is my first season, hope i can bring somethin back!!

Curtis

#75205 - 10/02/02 10:53 PM Re: This just in!!!! Dogfish scores a big buck!
DeKuma Offline
Juvenille at Sea

That area is a great area. Have not been there in years, but remember the country was nice. I have been hunting in the Manashtash area the last several years, but it is getting hard to not step on another hunter every few hundred yards. Will try my hand near Spokane again this year. Was there for 3 days last year and only saw two other hunters the whole time, and they were hunting birds only.

#75206 - 10/03/02 01:19 AM Re: This just in!!!! Dogfish scores a big buck!
Fisher-Dan Offline
Fry

Loc: Auburn, Wa.
What a great buck. The picture really doesn't do him justice. My boys and I inspected that buck about midnight last night. You could go a mighty long time and not see a nice 5X5 as symmetrical as that buck. A really cool rack with great features. Proof positive that good things happen to good people. A big congrats again.

My 8 and 11 years olds got up at mignight to go sneak a peak at DogFish's buck, and when we got home all they wanted to do was talk about it.

Andy:
1. You getting a head mount or just saving horns?
2. Did you get your elk?

Fisherdan

#75207 - 10/03/02 09:14 AM Re: This just in!!!! Dogfish scores a big buck!
KNOPHISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN,WA,USA
Hell of a nice buck. It will look great mounted & hanging on your wall. Was it hard to skin? I'll stay up all night to skin my deer out the 1st day if I have to. It is just way more easier when they are still warm. I've learned my lesson. You only have to do it once & you won't leave the hide on any longer than you have to. Another added bonus is cooling the meat down faster for better tasting. I'm getting jacked cuz modern opens in a week & hope I can score a nice one like yours.

#75208 - 10/03/02 11:13 AM Re: This just in!!!! Dogfish scores a big buck!
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Dan,

I am going to get the deer mounted. I didn't see any elk, but I did get about 50 pigeons. A new all time best.

The deer skinned out just fine, and I got a prize. The bullet! The bullet clipped the shoulder blade, went through three ribs, got both lungs, a small piece calved off and went into the gut, but the rest of the bullet, about 400 grains worth, was lodged just outside of the ribs and under the hide on the far side. It is my second bullet I've recovered.

Both boys have ear infections today, so we are goiong to the doctor, and then heading out for a hunt.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chad Lee, fish_hunter, Grady 265, pimpinshrimp, Stew, xflyzguy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Excitable Bob), 483 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |