THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75526 - 12/04/02 03:38 PM Shotgun,which to get?
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
My head hurts from this question... my dad is buying me a new shotgun for chirstmas. The problem is that I can't decided what I want! HOPEFULLY there's a scattergun nut on here that can help me decide....
Right now, my main shotgun is a 12gauge Ithaca-SKB Model 500 O/U which was custom fitted to me. Love the gun, but for a variety of reasons, I need a new one. I have a few others, but none that can replace my Ithaca- I have duck guns, quail guns, etc.
SO....What I need is a 12 gauge that will mostly be used on upland birds across the west as well as a few ducks. I am looking for a gun in the $1000-2000 range, must be a O/U or maybe a S/S. And I want a lightweight gun- NO brownings or other logs that will wear my arms out. And, it must have a multichoke system.
My choices so far...Weatherby makes a few that look interesting... Rugar Gold Label S/S (Red label is out)... Beretta lightweight de luxe.... Any ideas? I want a pretty, lightweight 12 gauge. I just don't know what to choose! Any help?

#75527 - 12/04/02 04:26 PM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
Dalmar Offline
Smolt

Loc: Western Wa.
You seem to like Beretta. Go drool at this site, the #1 seller of Beretta shotguns.

www.joeletchenguns.com

#75528 - 12/04/02 05:00 PM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
Fishstik Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: S.W. Washinton
cwugirl,,berretta builds a great gun, both in o/u and semi auto,, i have shot both and prefer the auto.. i to spend alot of time after birds,, i still shoot the remington 1100, nothings special but some barrell work and fancy stock,, my dad just swiched to a berretta after 25 yrs with the 1100,, still doesnt help him shoot any better...he had a ruger red label last year and got rid of it these guns balance like a 2x4, i dont care for em.. the thing to do is go to the local trap club and look around and ask questions those guys are willing to help...

#75529 - 12/04/02 08:06 PM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
BigShark Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: PDX
cwu girl

You are in a very long line of hunters that look at this same problem......a good double for under 2 grand. It is not easy to solve. I don't have an answer for you but can offer a few suggestions. The problem you face is quality versus price. The cost of craftmenship has and might continue to go up. My guess its more probable than not.

Doubles don't balance well with todays extra thick wall construction to handle non-toxic shot and the lawsuits that come from dumb people craming their own special handloads into them and so on.

Wood to metal fit, metal to metal fit, quality of wood etc, are things of the past for most of the market today. The idea of saving as much as two or three months salary to own the best you can is no longer considered. So, mfg have tried to do the best they can and madison ave. advertising exec. make the public think this is as good as it gets.

Along the transition period a couple of things were done that you can take advantage of if it suites you. In the 70s and 80s the Japanese
thought they could capitalize on this and built a number of guns using investment casting and lazers etc. The best of these attempts was a reproduction of the old Parker Shotguns, another good one was the "classic"
grade on the Win model 23 and still another was the Browning classic sporter. The Parkers are now priced out of sight. The other two are moving higher in value every year as their quality is compared to todays attempts to satisfy what shooters want and what they can afford to pay. Let us know what you find that you like.

#75530 - 12/04/02 08:26 PM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Thats odd, I know of another girl who goes to CWU... Your dad doesnt live in Issaquah does he??

#75531 - 12/04/02 08:39 PM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy:
Thats odd, I know of another girl who goes to CWU... Your dad doesnt live in Issaquah does he??
Nope, no Quah relations.. He lives on Lake Tapps.. Ya know, there are like 4000 girls that go to school here. moose
I really like the Weatherby Athena S/S with the english grip...but I just don't think I can be a side-by-side kinda girl!!

#75532 - 12/04/02 08:44 PM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Originally posted by BigShark:
cwu girl

Along the transition period a couple of things were done that you can take advantage of if it suites you. In the 70s and 80s the Japanese
thought they could capitalize on this and built a number of guns using investment casting and lazers etc. The best of these attempts was a reproduction of the old Parker Shotguns, another good one was the "classic"
grade on the Win model 23 and still another was the Browning classic sporter. The Parkers are now priced out of sight. The other two are moving higher in value every year as their quality is compared to todays attempts to satisfy what shooters want and what they can afford to pay. Let us know what you find that you like.
My Ithaca-SKB is one of those mid/late 70's Japanese made shotguns. It's price (if it weren't chopped to fit me) is substancially higher than it's orignal purchase price. I love the gun... but the fore arm split in half this last summer (bizzare, looks like screw was tightened too tight years ago) and although repaired, does not carry the same ambiance as it did.

#75533 - 12/05/02 01:51 AM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
Ummmmmm, I want a dad that will buy me a $2,000 shot gun!!!!!!!

So CWU gal what's wrong with some of the cool auto's out there (like in auto shotgun) today?????

By the way what breed of a pup do you have? I have a 5 yr old GWP that is awesome......

I'm a 1959 CWU grad...... beer

#75534 - 12/05/02 02:40 AM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Originally posted by Periwinkle:
Ummmmmm, I want a dad that will buy me a $2,000 shot gun!!!!!!!

So CWU gal what's wrong with some of the cool auto's out there (like in auto shotgun) today?????

By the way what breed of a pup do you have? I have a 5 yr old GWP that is awesome......

I'm a 1959 CWU grad...... beer
Autos... You had to ask...Well, auto's are fine when you can't get a double gun! It's all about the ambiance!! Something about hunting upland game, they require the class of a double gun. In my humble opinion, of course!
For dogs.. I am on my second pup as my older dog had to be retired last year. He's a 9 month old Labrador- I hunt with only the best! :p So far, he's given me the best season I've ever had- and he's cute!
I'll be a grad of 2003...5th year is a killer... Too much of beer Micros, naturally!

#75535 - 12/05/02 02:52 AM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
What shotgun should I get???...I just need something that will allow me to pop a bird or two occasionaly.

Need to take up the sport as some think I am not man enough because I dont hunt nor own a gun... beathead

#75536 - 12/05/02 11:46 AM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkey:
What shotgun should I get???...I just need something that will allow me to pop a bird or two occasionaly.

Need to take up the sport as some think I am not man enough because I dont hunt nor own a gun... beathead
Well Sparkey.. I think you need to start off small.. You should get a water pistol.. When you are confident with that and can restrain your trigger finger with some kind of self control... You can get a cap pistol. Work yourself up! In 20, 30 years, who knows, you might be up to a .410!

Only some people think you're not a man? Surprising evil

#75537 - 12/05/02 08:53 PM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
KingFisher85 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Amboy Wa
Why don't you want a Simi?

Well, Beretta is the way to go now days. Nothing but good things about there shotguns.
How to fix a gun-- Take it apart--Put it back together--Hide extra parts~~~

#75538 - 12/06/02 12:41 AM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
Before you dis' the autos too bad pick up a Bennelli Montefeltro. Doubles (the good ones) are beautiful, but the so are these if you get the exec. versions. They are light, well balanced and are failproof. My doubles tend to sit in the gun safe, my Benelli's go hunt.

#75539 - 12/06/02 12:56 AM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Originally posted by Huntar:
Before you dis' the autos too bad pick up a Bennelli Montefeltro. Doubles (the good ones) are beautiful, but the so are these if you get the exec. versions. They are light, well balanced and are failproof. My doubles tend to sit in the gun safe, my Benelli's go hunt.
I doubt I'll ever be converted to the auto side other than for ducks. They preform the job, put birds on the ground...but.. Double guns are just a finer piece of work, less moving parts, and all together- They look good!!!
Bennelli makes a fine shotgun(I own one), but for an upland hunter... Double gun is where it's at. smile

#75540 - 12/06/02 01:41 AM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
BBpontoons Offline
Alevin

Loc: Kent Wa.
I have a bretta 687 L with a 26" barrel O/U or should I say I did ( Wife won't give it back! Damn her!!!!) Its a great gun easy to shoot holds an awsome pattern I used to trap shoot with it but wife uses it for grouse and ducks. Its light weight. Scott

#75541 - 12/06/02 01:46 AM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by CWUgirl:
Well Sparkey.. I think you need to start off small.. You should get a water pistol.. When you are confident with that and can restrain your trigger finger with some kind of self control... You can get a cap pistol. Work yourself up! In 20, 30 years, who knows, you might be up to a .410!

Only some people think you're not a man? Surprising evil
You just know I am more man then you ever thought I was...and now you aren't worthy and are going to have to settle for a lesser man!! Sorry darlin'.... :p

#75542 - 12/06/02 02:12 AM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

[[/qb][/QUOTE]You just know I am more man then you ever thought I was...and now you aren't worthy and are going to have to settle for a lesser man!! Sorry darlin'.... :p [/QB][/QUOTE]

What ever am I going to do without you?? I just don't know what I'll do without a non-firearm owning, no-hunting, foamy fly boy like yourself... I guess I'll just have to put more death down on a few birds to make up for the loss!

#75543 - 12/06/02 02:15 AM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

You'd better watch it or the entire ffing/steelhead fishing community in the PNW might realize that you are flirting with me!!

What a wonderful reputation to have!!!!..."The chic that wants Sparkey!!" fight

#75544 - 12/06/02 02:37 AM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkey:
You'd better watch it or the entire ffing/steelhead fishing community in the PNW might realize that you are flirting with me!!

What a wonderful reputation to have!!!!..."The chic that wants Sparkey!!" fight
You're the one following me around, bucko! slap

#75545 - 12/06/02 07:23 PM Re: Shotgun,which to get?
BigShark Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: PDX
Sparkey

I think you need to drive over to Ellensberg. This young lady has very good taste in shotguns and may be the find of a lifetime.

Cwugirl

I know him and he's a good guy......too damn good of a fisherman for his age and hence he gets the treatment that all winners do on the web, slams from those who are lesser. Why don't you invite him over for a brew and see if your Lab likes him ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |