THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#756173 - 04/26/12 09:25 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Bunker Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: River that your fishing!
Not that I fish the river, but float only seems like a great Idea. Wish they would do this on the skokomish! The bite would be alot better if every other fish wasn't getting snagged. Might have to open a egg stand in the popular parking areas!

#756226 - 04/26/12 11:24 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Bunker]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: Bunker
Not that I fish the river, but float only seems like a great Idea. Wish they would do this on the skokomish! The bite would be alot better if every other fish wasn't getting snagged. Might have to open a egg stand in the popular parking areas!

Could someone please explain to me what is going to stop guys from snagging these fish with a float on their line? It is going to be the same, except way waaaaaaaaay harder now to hook a fish in the mouth for everybody.

In a perfect world things would be different, but they are the way they are. This fishery is a snaggers paradise. Some of us would love for these fish to be comfy and biting but that is NEVER going to happen.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#756240 - 04/26/12 11:57 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Alaskans have devised a highly efficient method for bobber flossin'.

Not gonna post it.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#756244 - 04/27/12 12:16 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: eyeFISH]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
...so when is someone going to start the first Skok Thread of the year? This is getting me excited to read more crap about snag fisheries and the elitists that call them home...

Also, I REALLY wish you would eyeFish...

#756245 - 04/27/12 12:17 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Moravec]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Take a quick trip up to the Vedder to see Bobber Flossing at its finest...

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#756249 - 04/27/12 12:21 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: FOUR J'S FISHING]
coho-dundee Offline
Fry

Loc: McCleary
Jeremy C, I have fished for salmon in Washington for almost 60 years and have never used anything except a lure or bait. What else can there be??

#756260 - 04/27/12 01:00 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Blu13]
Saundu Offline
Spawner

Got a buddy that claims he fishes near the mouth. And walks in on the free side. He walks down and sinks his jig to bottom and waits...current slowly pushing downstream. Claims all the time the fish pick it up off the bottom and a solid mouth hooked fish. Filled his punchcard. Several conversations with a routine fishing pal. No other explanation other than he thinks they pick up jig off of bottom out of curiosity. Denies flossing and keeping foul hooked fish.

#756277 - 04/27/12 01:54 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Saundu]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

When your jig is laying in the mud and you "hook 'em in the mouth"...what you are using for "bait" is a single strand gillnet.

If you think otherwise you are living in a fantasy world.

Fish on...

Todd

#756283 - 04/27/12 02:37 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Todd]
EarthMan Offline
Smolt

Evolution of a Snagger:

Let me take you on a little time trip.

There was a guy who heard that you could catch a lot of chinook at the Samish river. This was interesting because he used to cast for chinook off of the edmonds fishing pier and he might catch 5 or 7 chinook for the year. He always used a single barbless hook, even though trebbles were allowed. This was a long time ago... He used to see so many shakers hooked, he learned how to miss the shakers that mostly hit at the end of a cast, near the surface.

So anyway...after hearing all that he was losing out on, he went up to the Samish river. He brought salmon eggs for bait and lots of gear to fish them properly. For three years he tried this. He caught a few legal fish, but with all the people there he could not use a float without crossing lines. So he used a weight with a leader to the eggs. Most of his fish were snagged in the body. Why?...Well after thinking he figured it out. The fish were not biting the eggs....they were hitting the main line. When a fish would take off with that main line in the mouth, and he pulled into the fish, the leader was next to the body and he got a foul hooked fish.

After three years of this, and seeing all of the "legal fish" hooked on jigs, he gave up and started using jigs. Yeah, he saw all of the people fishing eggs next to him who would act superior. But their bait was in the same place mine was, and you should have seen them set the hook. They would rip just like everyone else.

This guy learned to hook the fish with a jig on the bottom, hooking the fish in the jaw most of the time. He foul hooked a fish maybe 1 out of 10.

You see, this guy didn't call it fishing. He called it catching. He let most of his fish go. He just liked to fight big fish. Sure, he kept a few hatchery fish to eat, but not a lot.

This guy did it for over 10 consecutive years. Yes...he fished in the lower river near 200 other guys. He supposed there might have been places upriver where "someone" actually got a chinook to take a bait. But down in mess of guys in the lower river...nobody ever got a chinook to take a bait. If you say you did, he would have called BS on you. He saw how you set the hook...

OK, sure...if you fished high tide and fished bait under a float, and you fished for a week, you might hook one. Nice.

But for the rest of us, we just wanted to fight a few fish, a few hatchery fish.

With the concentration of "fishermen" (snaggers if you must) and the concentration of chinook (read that as hatchery fish), there is just no way this is a quality fishing experience. Adjust the regulations anyway you want. Nothing substantive will change. The only thing that changes is technicalities.

Limit the fish taken, and throw back foul hooked fish (in the body, don't make me explain everything). That is all that matters on the Samish. Yes, I kinda let it slip (oh boy...like you had not caught on), that I was this guy. I get a little tired of snobbery when it comes to fishing, and especially when it comes to the Samish. The fish aren't biting down there in the middle of 200 guys. They are scared and trying to slip through. They aren't feeding guys, and there is no "natural" salmon behavior.

I went through all of this before most people had an internet connection, so I had to learn as I went. I didn't have a resource to read like this forum. Also I moved out of the area several years ago, before the moving bait requirement. Since I moved I went up there one time. I picked my day and time and hooked and released 9 chinook one morning. I had a good time, fought some big fish. I didn't kill any of them, and I didn't hurt a single wild fish...cause it is all hatchery. So, now is the time to get all bent out of shape at me and tell me what an awful person I am.

But let me leave you with this. Suppose you would have met that guy on the river...who was still trying to figure out how to hook chinook with eggs, would you have told him to follow you to your "secret" hole and showed him how "you" are able to get chinook to voluntarily bite them? Didn't think so...

#756285 - 04/27/12 02:47 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Todd]
Blu13 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

For all the great know it alls who most likely have not been up there in years if ever.

The river bottom where I've been is not mud. The main channel is actualy a somewhat hard packed sand. If it wasn't for all the people being in the river and the tidal water stirring things up, the river is actually pretty clear.

On a large portion of the river, the garbage issue is no longer a factor.
A number of years ago people got the message. I see more garbage on the Sol Duc, Snohomish, Sky etc (in certain areas) then I do on a large stretch of the Samish I've been on. Port a Potties have solved a lot of the human waste issues as well.

As far as the Jig question, eggs and any other method where you're on the bottom. You are always going to have some lining and foul hooking. Small area, lots of fish at times. Problem is that you have people that think that is fine.

I still have not had anyone including a WDFW Biologist (long discussion)explain to me anything that makes sense as to how a jig can end up deep down a Kings throat. Maybe when the hook is set, the jig somehow makes it into the mouth. The Biologist sure didn't think that was the case. He had no answer.

I have no probloem fishing with a float & eggs. I've done it up there before. I am not happy that we can't thow spoons or spinners on the outgoing tide or high tide. I will be calling and complaining about that.

#756286 - 04/27/12 03:11 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Blu13]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Fished there quite a bit in the late '80's and early '90's, and the experience was barely marginal then...I've stopped by and watched it over the last six or eight years, and there's nothing marginal about it at all, so I've definitely seen it through the years.

That being said...back in the day I only fished one way...with spinners, with single hooks.

I foulhooked a few, of course, but most all the ones I hooked, I hooked...unfortunately once 8am arrived the fish had been so severely harrassed that there weren't none of them biting after that...at least not with their mouths.

It's the same story as on the Skokomish...big, beautiful fish...and an absolute disaster of "sportsmen" trying to "get them to bite".

When you are participating in a fishery where you feel the need to say "hooked him right in the mouth!"...well, it ain't much of a fishery to my mind.

I wish there was a way to take all the ijits and send them away, and then have actual fisherman try to get fish to bite on those rivers...in the long run there would actually be more caught, I bet...it's easier to catch biters than it is to snag non-biters, and when they are made to be non-biters due to lures ripping by and into them all day, we actually catch less of them overall.

Fish on...

Todd

#756293 - 04/27/12 08:40 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: coho-dundee]
FOUR J'S FISHING Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: MT VERNON,WA
Originally Posted By: coho-dundee
Jeremy C, I have fished for salmon in Washington for almost 60 years and have never used anything except a lure or bait. What else can there be??

Yarn, wet flies, jigs...etc These things are not considered LURES.

I believe that almost all these fish are flossed ( by mouth or tail) and do not bite. They are scared of all the a-holes and are only interested in getting up river.

#756297 - 04/27/12 10:07 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: FOUR J'S FISHING]
Bigskyx Offline
Parr

I stopped by there last year for the first time to check it out. Lots of big fish but not my style.

#756301 - 04/27/12 10:49 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: FOUR J'S FISHING]
Iwant2fish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Whatcom County
Originally Posted By: Jeremy C

I believe that almost all these fish are flossed ( by mouth or tail) and do not bite. They are scared of all the a-holes and are only interested in getting up river.

Maybe you should read the definitions

Quote:

Lure A manufactured article, complete with
hooks, constructed of feathers
, hair, fiber, wood,
metal, glass, cork, leather, rubber, or plastic,
which does not use scent and/or flavoring to
attract fish..

Quote:
Fly A lure on which thread, feathers, hackle, or
yarn cover a minimum of half of the shank
of
the hook. Metallic colored tape, tinsel, mylar, or
bead eyes may be used as an integral part of
the design of the fly pattern.

#756302 - 04/27/12 10:58 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: EarthMan]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
Originally Posted By: EarthMan
Evolution of a Snagger:

Let me take you on a little time trip.

There was a guy who heard that you could catch a lot of chinook at the Samish river. This was interesting because he used to cast for chinook off of the edmonds fishing pier and he might catch 5 or 7 chinook for the year. He always used a single barbless hook, even though trebbles were allowed. This was a long time ago... He used to see so many shakers hooked, he learned how to miss the shakers that mostly hit at the end of a cast, near the surface.

So anyway...after hearing all that he was losing out on, he went up to the Samish river. He brought salmon eggs for bait and lots of gear to fish them properly. For three years he tried this. He caught a few legal fish, but with all the people there he could not use a float without crossing lines. So he used a weight with a leader to the eggs. Most of his fish were snagged in the body. Why?...Well after thinking he figured it out. The fish were not biting the eggs....they were hitting the main line. When a fish would take off with that main line in the mouth, and he pulled into the fish, the leader was next to the body and he got a foul hooked fish.

After three years of this, and seeing all of the "legal fish" hooked on jigs, he gave up and started using jigs. Yeah, he saw all of the people fishing eggs next to him who would act superior. But their bait was in the same place mine was, and you should have seen them set the hook. They would rip just like everyone else.

This guy learned to hook the fish with a jig on the bottom, hooking the fish in the jaw most of the time. He foul hooked a fish maybe 1 out of 10.

You see, this guy didn't call it fishing. He called it catching. He let most of his fish go. He just liked to fight big fish. Sure, he kept a few hatchery fish to eat, but not a lot.

This guy did it for over 10 consecutive years. Yes...he fished in the lower river near 200 other guys. He supposed there might have been places upriver where "someone" actually got a chinook to take a bait. But down in mess of guys in the lower river...nobody ever got a chinook to take a bait. If you say you did, he would have called BS on you. He saw how you set the hook...

OK, sure...if you fished high tide and fished bait under a float, and you fished for a week, you might hook one. Nice.

But for the rest of us, we just wanted to fight a few fish, a few hatchery fish.

With the concentration of "fishermen" (snaggers if you must) and the concentration of chinook (read that as hatchery fish), there is just no way this is a quality fishing experience. Adjust the regulations anyway you want. Nothing substantive will change. The only thing that changes is technicalities.

Limit the fish taken, and throw back foul hooked fish (in the body, don't make me explain everything). That is all that matters on the Samish. Yes, I kinda let it slip (oh boy...like you had not caught on), that I was this guy. I get a little tired of snobbery when it comes to fishing, and especially when it comes to the Samish. The fish aren't biting down there in the middle of 200 guys. They are scared and trying to slip through. They aren't feeding guys, and there is no "natural" salmon behavior.

I went through all of this before most people had an internet connection, so I had to learn as I went. I didn't have a resource to read like this forum. Also I moved out of the area several years ago, before the moving bait requirement. Since I moved I went up there one time. I picked my day and time and hooked and released 9 chinook one morning. I had a good time, fought some big fish. I didn't kill any of them, and I didn't hurt a single wild fish...cause it is all hatchery. So, now is the time to get all bent out of shape at me and tell me what an awful person I am.

But let me leave you with this. Suppose you would have met that guy on the river...who was still trying to figure out how to hook chinook with eggs, would you have told him to follow you to your "secret" hole and showed him how "you" are able to get chinook to voluntarily bite them? Didn't think so...

So you are trying to explain how you evolved INTO a snagger? Obviously you are part of the problem, not the solution.
I hate terminal fisheries and the people they attract. The only thing missing in those photos is the ladder.
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#756305 - 04/27/12 11:06 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: FOUR J'S FISHING]
gvbest Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Silverdale, WA
Originally Posted By: Jeremy C

Now that is funny right there.

#756310 - 04/27/12 11:35 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: gvbest]
oregonarcher Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Eugene, Oregon
Maybe it was mentioned, what about trying a leader length requirement. It seems that the flossers use long leaders, to address that issue, it seems that restricting leaders to just 3' or less is an option.

many of the oregon rivers have the same problem during the summer fishery. restricting to bobbers really limits a fisherman. but I guess these people are not fishing they are snagging.

not sure really. bummer that a rule is made due to poor conduct.

#756313 - 04/27/12 11:44 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: oregonarcher]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Snaggers will always find a way to beat the system, which is why the rule book should read "no snagging" plain and simple. The key to stopping snagging is to have an educated and knowledgeable enforcement presence in the areas known for this behavior who are willing and able to deal with it.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#756316 - 04/27/12 11:46 AM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Moravec]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: Moravec
This is getting me excited to read more crap about snag fisheries and the elitists that call them home...

The only elitists I see here are the ones that don't hit these fisheries.......

The rest of you try and play it off Iike you are the Mother Teresa of the fishing world.....

That is easy to do over the net. A lot harder to do in the real world. I guess you can buy all your Samish kings in a grocery for 20$ a pound, caught oh so ethically in one of hundreds of gill nets......

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#756339 - 04/27/12 12:42 PM Re: Dumb New Samish River Regs......... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
How many days are you going to snivel about this?

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |