THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#757294 - 05/02/12 02:29 PM What is the Best Danner Boot?
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I was recently high bidder on a silent auction for my choice of any boot made by Danner. I need a pair for hiking and hunting upland game. Which is your favorite? I am concerned about the weight of the boots and want one with a very stiff sole.

Edited by Dave Vedder (05/02/12 03:05 PM)

#757295 - 05/02/12 02:31 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: Dave Vedder]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
I'd narrow the choices down to any still made in the U.S.

#757299 - 05/02/12 02:36 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: SundayMoney]
Loomis Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Dave,

I have put a lot of miles in my pronghorns by danner, Also in the trophy series. The pronghorn I have found i like better unless there is snow.

#757300 - 05/02/12 02:41 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: Loomis]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Dave,

I've had a pair of the Radical 452 GTX for a couple years now and love them. I wanted a light option when a big, bulky boot wasn't needed. I love the durable toe cap and was looking specifically for a model with featured the sole to be stitched through to the upper around the toe area as opposed to those which are glued. Glued ones always seem to break down where the toe portion flexes.

#757308 - 05/02/12 02:59 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: Twitch]
landcruiserwilly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell
hey dave,

I have these:
http://www.danner.com/boots/sierratm-mens-womens-200g-hunting-boots.html

there a bit higher than twitch's, but i like 'em. i found them comfortable and light. they do not have a liner footbed inside, which disappointed me a bit, and i wear orthotics. when i put the orthotics in, the toe box was too tight. i brought them down to a shoe maker in kirkland to have them stretched and i'm very happy. i think 200g thinsulate is plenty warm for upland hunting. if you're looking for a hiking boot that would double as a hunting boot, you might want to go a bit shorter in height, like this:
http://www.danner.com/boots/dannerr-light-iitm-dark-brown-hiking-boots.html

willy

#757336 - 05/02/12 03:49 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: landcruiserwilly]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Raptors

#757339 - 05/02/12 03:53 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: Blktailhunter]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

You may also want to look at their military boot selection. Outstanding boots and very comfortable as long as you don't mind desert tan. Great for hiking and hunting.

#757356 - 05/02/12 04:38 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: Twitch]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Twitch
Dave,

I've had a pair of the Radical 452 GTX for a couple years now and love them. I wanted a light option when a big, bulky boot wasn't needed. I love the durable toe cap and was looking specifically for a model with featured the sole to be stitched through to the upper around the toe area as opposed to those which are glued. Glued ones always seem to break down where the toe portion flexes.

These are among the lightest....I have two pair.
They are not real, stitch-down, U.S. made Danners....they are Chinese.

Danner is not the old Danner anymore. Bought by Lacrosse several years back and now with the import line.

Danner used to be more like this...
http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/home.asp

#757357 - 05/02/12 04:44 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: Direct-Drive]
redhook
Unregistered

if you want a pair of boots that will last you the rest of your life, look at the White's... they are expensive, but worth every single penny spent, they can also be re soled... if there ever is anything wrong with them, they will repair them for free, normal wear and tear no... they are made with the best quality materials available, and made in the good old US of A, matter of fact, they are made in good old Washington State... Spokane to be exact, and have been around since before the Civil War...

http://www.whitesboots.com/

#757382 - 05/02/12 06:17 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: Dave Vedder]
RobJob Offline
Fry

Danner Corvallis GTX Safety Non-Metallic Toe
http://www.danner.com/corvallistm-gtxr-n...CFagbQgodEUtFKw

After 20 years in the Navy and being able to wear boots that doesn't have a black polish toe, these are the best boots I've ever worn.

Comfortable for any hiking conditions, work conditions, upland hunting, and even every day wear. I've had mine for over 2 years and wear them ~300 days a year...I wear my romeo's when going fishing for easy slip on/off when getting in/out of waders or rubber boots. They still look good, tread is fine, and with minimal insole maintenance...they don't smell "that bad" laugh! As much as I wear them, IF there was any bad points, I would know...none to report with these boots; for sure.

#757383 - 05/02/12 06:25 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: ]
gvbest Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Silverdale, WA
Originally Posted By: redhook
if you want a pair of boots that will last you the rest of your life, look at the White's... they are expensive, but worth every single penny spent, they can also be re soled... if there ever is anything wrong with them, they will repair them for free, normal wear and tear no... they are made with the best quality materials available, and made in the good old US of A, matter of fact, they are made in good old Washington State... Spokane to be exact, and have been around since before the Civil War...

http://www.whitesboots.com/

Maybe you missed the part were he said he won any pair of boots made by DANNER.

#757385 - 05/02/12 06:36 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: gvbest]
hooksetter1 Offline
Parr

Acadia, they're a classic and available in a few different variations.

#757413 - 05/02/12 07:53 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: hooksetter1]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I talked to the guys at Danner and will order a pair of their "Grouse" boots. with the BOB sole. Thanks all.

#757426 - 05/02/12 08:31 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: Dave Vedder]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Just found the perfect sized pair of Danners at Value Village for 10 bucks! Now that's perfect. thumbs

#757431 - 05/02/12 09:04 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: ]
Bigtrout15
Unregistered

Danner trophy's are the ones id go with.

#757433 - 05/02/12 09:09 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

i did read it Chuck, it has nothing to do with that, i just said if you want a pair that will be the last pair you ever buy, look at the Whites... personally, i would get the Danner Powerlines, sell them and buy a pair of Whites...

just an opinion is all, Danner has gone to crap over the last few years, they arent what they used to be, ive owned several pairs, and will not buy another... ive also owned Wesco's, Rockys, and Hathorns (low budget Whites), and nothing compares...

hope you have better expieriences than i have with them Dave...

#757434 - 05/02/12 09:13 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: Dave Vedder]
Salmonella Offline
Repeat Spawner

I wear Cabela's Elk Hunters made by Danner.

Very tough boot, no break in time, very protective for the feet in steep, rugged terrain, but they are heavy.

#757436 - 05/02/12 09:23 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: Salmonella]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
most of the guys that like to bash danner probably owned a pair of their quality boots, wore them out, then bought a pair of POS pronghorns.

the quality is quite good on their USA made stuff, i own a pair of explorers, and a pair of hawk GTX hunting boots. the explorers required a bit of break-in, while the hawks required virtually none right out of the box.

dave, do yourself a favor and pick up a pair of good insoles. the grouse model is just like my explorers(just higher and with the canvas sides), they come with no insoles. putting a pair of felts inside made them feel like they should.

#757438 - 05/02/12 09:45 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: Chum Man]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: Chum Man

dave, do yourself a favor and pick up a pair of good insoles.

Super Feet "Greens" fix my crooked spine and knees right up.

Edited by cobble cruiser (05/02/12 09:46 PM)

#757457 - 05/02/12 11:21 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: ]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
that's true of their narrower boots(like the grouse model). the hawks i picked up last year have a wider footbed. the pair i bought was in "D" width, while my explorers are "EE". the hawks are still wider than the explorers.

#757482 - 05/03/12 02:38 AM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: Chum Man]
gvbest Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Silverdale, WA
I bought a pair of Danners 2 years ago for my deployment to afghanistan (sorry dont remember the type), best pair of boots I ever owned. I still wear them hunting/fishing. Now I understand they are not old but if they can hold up to everyday wear for 9 months straight in the sand, mud, water, dirt and all the walking we did and also not give me one blister or hot spot I would say Danners are good boots.

#757490 - 05/03/12 04:44 AM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: gvbest]
FishinSinsation Offline
Spawner

Loc: kenmore, wa
American danners, I wear a pair 365 days a year, got 4 years out of my old ones welding and what not every work day, 3 resoles later and I decided to retire them for a new pair.... Can't say enough about the USA danners btw they are the powerforemans... Not hunting boots but I'd highly recommend them to anyone who stands/walks on concrete everyday

#757528 - 05/03/12 12:40 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: FishinSinsation]
BigRedHead Offline
Smolt

Loc: WA, King
I would go rainforest or quarry model both good boots, may go without steeltoe they seem to rub me wrong in the toes. Rainforest are taller.

#757541 - 05/03/12 01:43 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: BigRedHead]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
Best bair of Danners is a good pair of Meindl's. I have had three pairs of Danners, all Proghorn. Only bought the first pair as they ripped out on the outside edge after one trip Dall hunting in the Alaska range. Got a free pair to replace that one and they ripped out in the same spot after doing a 60 miler in the OP up and over the high divide and out the Hoh Lake trail. I do have a third pair now(also free replacement). They do stand behind their product I have to say.

Decided they were crap after that and bought a pair of Meindls. Beat Danner in every way and been on goat, sheep, deer and elk without blister or issue. Best pair of boots I have owned outside a pair of Whites.

#757545 - 05/03/12 01:46 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: BigRedHead]
WN1A Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
You can't go wrong with the made in the USA Danner boots. My wife and I both bought our first Danner boots at Warshal's about 1970. The part time sales person who recommended them was retired from the NPS, he had been the head ranger at Mount Rainer Park when it was first established. He pointed out that the folks who settled the west walked across the plains, the Rockies, and the deserts. They didn't wear Italian hiking boots and if our intention was to do a lot of walking we shouldn't either. He had a special technique of lacing and tying the laces that he learned from his lifetime of walking in the west. At the time Danner only made about 5 styles of boot, all in Portland. The cost was about $75. My wife's boots had Kangaroo uppers, wish I had done that as they were lighter, softer, and wore better. Those boots lasted about 30 years of hard use, had them resoled but finally wore holes through the lower sides from walking too many steep rocky slopes. We replaced them with the Rainforest model which are holding up well. We use them several weeks a year, hiking, fishing, hunting, and rock hounding all over the west. In the rainforest, on 10,000 foot ridges, or on the floor of Death Valley poor footwear leads to bad experiences.

For those who don't know of Warshal's do some searching to learn the history of sporting goods stores in Seattle.

#757559 - 05/03/12 02:27 PM Re: What is the Best Danner Boot? [Re: Dave Vedder]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Dave.....

I've worn out 3 pairs of the Danner Radial 452 GTX boot, between work & play they are perfect for me. Each pair lasts me 2-3 years (I do a lot of walking on the job, the soles wear out), as I wear them pretty much every day I think its good value for the $120-140 I've put out per pair.

As DV stated he wants his for warm-weather bird hunting I think he made a good choice in the Grouse boot, especially as he is spending somebodies else's dime.... wink

Now if it was my money & doing what he wants to do I'd look for a boot like the 452, BUT it would have to be in a 8" for the extra ankle support, uninsulated & in the EE width. Don't know squat about the Bob soles..

Dave TRY THE BOOT IN D & EE WITH THE SOCKS YOUR GOING TO WEAR HUNTING.

I'm betting your going to like the wider size.

c/22

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Banana Slama
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (darth baiter), 224 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645430 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |