THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75780 - 01/30/03 01:46 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Gold Bar
Man I knew fishing was slow but really....

Funny thread

#75781 - 01/31/03 02:38 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
goforchrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: sammamish WA
I'll back BBVD on this one....
Killing animals just to be killing something?
Sounds like psychosis, not sport.
If it's really that rewarding, get a job at the animal shelter.
At least get paid for it.

#75782 - 01/31/03 03:13 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
stilly bum Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SnoCo
Jeezus people, we're talking about rats here. They're in the same class as flies. If you can't handle killing a few rats then how do you bait a hook with a live sandshrimp?

#75783 - 01/31/03 03:19 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hey.. Rats are people too! rofl rofl

#75784 - 01/31/03 03:34 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

Did you say flies?

Take a paper target in the summer time and throw some jelly on it. Take a scoped Ruger 10/22 and set up a bench rest anywhere from 25-50 yards back. When the flies land on the jelly try and hit them.

You would be surprised how accurate these little guns are.

I must admit on a few occasions I have taken over my limit of flies eek Crap did I say that on a public BB laugh

Gotta go I hear the Game Warden coming

#75785 - 01/31/03 04:59 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
I shot a fly at 100 yards with my .22-250 one time and another time shot the staples off and let the target fall off the board. Also shot the ring value numbers off the target. It's hard to hit those all the time as they need to be hit dead center to take them out.

I have a couple of other rifles accurate enough to duplicate this. All of them with the exception of one have the same thing in common. Rem 700 varmint special with a varmint barrel. The oddball is a Rem 788 in a .222. It averages 0.40" groups. The .22-250 shoots 0.36"

#75786 - 01/31/03 05:22 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

You guys have far too much free time. wink

Very entertaining, however.

#75787 - 01/31/03 08:50 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
Lets not forget the motorized rat decoy. Just stop by your local Adult entertainment store and buy a couple small "aa" toys. Insert the "motor" into the toilet paper stuffed rat and toss on the ground. When it is flopping around and buzzing, the rest will come running. If you don't feel like using stuffed decoy, just use your first killed and cleaned rat of the day and stuff the "motor" into that. Then you have natural scent too! eek

#75788 - 01/31/03 08:55 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
gsiegel Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Graham
I had me a job at the animal shelter once.

It sucked though. They wouldn't let me take any of the dead critters home. ...took all the fun out of it!

Actually, what I'd really like to do is become one of them pro-fessional rat guys like I see on OLN on Saturday mornin's. You know, the PRO RAT TOUR, where all those guys cruise around in their slick lookin' rigs and drive from dump to dump and stock yard to stockyard all over the South just shootin' the heck outta the rats!

I think I have a chance to get into the big money, but first I gotta find me a sponsor to get some flashy huntin' clothes and gear for the tour (I'm thinkin' about asking Orkin for a sponsorship)! Sometimes they even have the Bud Girls there when they pass out the prizes, and I don't want to be lookin' second rat , er, rate, if you know what I mean!

Mostly, I need a new gun for those long distance rats if I am to stand a chance. My gun won't shoot near as good as that other feller who posted about the .00000000000001 inch groups that come outta all his guns. With the likes o' him around I don't stand a chance. Maybe he is really Dan'l Boone reincarnarated!

But my old gun is lucky to hit a JD Pint Bottle (empty, o'course) at about 50'- its hell on the rodents though!

... there's a side...?

GS

"I fish, therefore someone else must tend the cooler!"

#75789 - 02/01/03 05:15 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
lugnutt06 Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia
The best weapon when rat hunting depends on how you are hunting them. If still hunting, a good 20 gauge is good.

If you are flushing them, you need a few friends and a good shovel to hammer them with. Someone needs to flip over boards, etc that they are hiding under and the others swap them. Make sure you don't get hit with the shovel. A good dog or two helps to get the ones who are runners.

As far as places to hunt, the best place is in a barn when the big gopher rats come in to feed on the grain. A good cold snap will make them migrate and get them moving into shelter.

The most ultimate place to hunt is in a hog house, you will find rats that are no b.s. a foot long, not including the tail. I am not sure of the trophy measurement for length and girth, but those are some BFR's.

#75790 - 02/01/03 05:19 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
lugnutt06 Offline
Parr

Loc: Olympia
I hit a rat with a shovel once, he was so big he stood up, staggered around and then stood on his back legs and started shaking his fist at me.

#75791 - 02/03/03 01:53 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
We don't want to hear on this thread of the shooting of bourbon bottles. This is a rat thread.

Besides... bourbon bottles are bigger, even if they are just the pint variety..... and they don't run on you like rats do when scared.

Only time it's hard to hit JD bottles is when they're just barely peeking out of a brown paper bag. Remember, brush shots... or bag shots aren't kosher or safe. Besides after taking a few brush shots, then it's a short step to taking sound shots. Hey... I heard the sound of glass sliding down that hill... so I shot at it. Not safe at all. No sound shots... and no bag or brush shots.

#75792 - 02/06/03 08:25 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
Steve Ericsson Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Wa
OK, now I just had to get in on this. I have an old .250 Savage my grandpa gave me with an old Weaver K4 scope. When dialed in, I can take a rats head off at 100 feet. Only problem is, when I don't take the head clean off, it is a bit melodramatic. So, the protesters...do we call them PETRs? (People for the Ethical Treatment of Rats) Nothing I hate worse is some PETRhead buttin' into my bidness! So, when is the next rat Walktilla? I AM SO THERE!

#75793 - 02/09/03 02:16 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
is bait ok how about a spot light at night

#75794 - 02/09/03 05:01 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
Dave D Offline
River Nutrients

These guys take hunting rats to a new level laugh

#75795 - 02/09/03 08:01 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
pimpinshrimp Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: whatcom county
My god is PETA sending propaganda to this thread. This is the funniest [Bleeeeep!] I have read in a while. How big a mesh do the natives use to net rats?
shoot

#75796 - 02/09/03 08:16 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

I really don't want to get you guys all hot and bothered.. but I can't help but share..

http://www.ratkill.com/main.html

From the site: "HOT RAT ACTION NEVER STOPS AT RATKILL!"

Enjoy! evil

#75797 - 02/09/03 11:43 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
Sid Fishious Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle,wa
Goforchrome, man I'm disappointed in you. If you lived in north Burien ,White Center almost which is affectionately(or should I say " infectiously) known as Rat City I think you'd have a change of heart. Does this mean your a rat hugger? Just funnin ya bud,call me I'm serious about the springer trip to Cathlamet.

#75798 - 02/09/03 11:48 PM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
Sid Fishious Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle,wa
Goforchrome, man I'm disappointed in you. If you lived in north Burien ,White Center almost which is affectionately(or should I say " infectiously) known as Rat City I think you'd have a change of heart. Does this mean your a rat hugger? Just funnin ya bud,call me I'm serious about the springer trip to Cathlamet.

#75799 - 02/10/03 03:16 AM Re: Any Rat Hunters out there?
stilly bum Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SnoCo
Nice website CWUgirl. I found the Ratkill store just in time for valentine's day. They've got the Ratkill classic thong for only $9.00. Available in small, medium, and large. Nothing says "I love you" like a Ratkill thong and a 40oz bottle of Old English.
http://www.cafeshops.com/cp/prod.aspx?p=ratkill.3649154

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1043 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645293 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |