Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#758077 - 05/07/12 05:33 PM necessary, or not? **
redhook
Unregistered

thoughts?

SHORELINE, Wash. -- Do salmon and steelhead returning to Washington rivers come with a dose of radiation from Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant? Washington State Department of Health officials don't think so, but they're testing fish anyway.

In the days following the 2011 Japan tsunami, the damaged Fukushima plant was cooled with seawater to try and get it back under control. That sent large quantities of contaminated water into the Pacific Ocean.

At the DOH lab in Shoreline, lab tech John Raney begins filleting a steelhead caught in the Columbia River last week. Soon, the fish is in a blender.

"What we want to do is homogenize the sample to get a good representation,” said Raney.

After several minutes and multiple glove changes to prevent cross contamination, a specially shaped container with the blended fish muscle inside is placed into a gamma detector. The heavy cylindrical case will pick up any nuclear signature in the sample. The test takes about 18 hours.

Technicians are looking primarily for two isotopes: Caesium-137 and Iodine-131. Both isotopes are associated with nuclear power production.

While Iodine-131 can lead to thyroid cancer, its short half life of only eight days means it has already reached extremely low levels after 80 days. The Caesium-137 has a half life of 30 years, but is water soluble and heavy. State health officials say that means it's unlikely to have made it into migratory fish like salmon and steelhead.

"We're planning on collecting returning salmon and steelhead until public concern abates,” said Mike Priddy, the Richland-based manager of DOH’s Environmental Sciences Section.
Priddy said clams will also be tested.

As for that steelhead tested in lab, no radiation beyond normal background levels found naturally was detected.

http://www.king5.com/news/environment/St...-150477655.html

#758086 - 05/07/12 06:25 PM Re: nessecary, or not? [Re: ]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
"nessecary, or not?"

Spell check is necessary.
The comma is not.

#758089 - 05/07/12 06:35 PM Re: nessecary, or not? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
redhook
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D
"nessecary, or not?"

Spell check is necessary.
The comma it not.

your right, my bad, i fixed the title wink

#758090 - 05/07/12 06:36 PM Re: nessecary, or not? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
I suppose we won't know until we get the results. If it turns out they're not radioactive, then the sampling wasn't necessary. If it turns out they are, well, it's a good thing we know about it.

#758098 - 05/07/12 07:16 PM Re: nessecary, or not? [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
rofl

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#758099 - 05/07/12 07:17 PM Re: nessecary, or not? [Re: Todd]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
That hurts a little when you do that. rofl

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#758100 - 05/07/12 07:22 PM Re: nessecary, or not? [Re: ]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: Hankster
Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

The comma it not.

Solid work.. grin

Thanks. I guess that is what can happen when you have to type your own words. grin

#758109 - 05/07/12 07:51 PM Re: nessecary, or not? [Re: ]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Brutal.Good luck,
SZ

#758112 - 05/07/12 08:37 PM Re: nessecary, or not? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
MikeH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washington
Another wonderful off topic thread.........good going.

#758113 - 05/07/12 08:43 PM Re: necessary, or not? [Re: ]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: redhook
thoughts?

Do you belong to PETA?

#758114 - 05/07/12 08:46 PM Re: necessary, or not? [Re: fish4brains]
redhook
Unregistered

do i seriously need to answer that question?

thoughts meaning, waste of time or money?

#758117 - 05/07/12 09:07 PM Re: necessary, or not? [Re: ]
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
waste of time

+1 ... We are talking about this thread, right?

#758118 - 05/07/12 09:19 PM Re: necessary, or not? [Re: mreyns_tgl]
redhook
Unregistered

i personally think it is a waste of time... while i dont know, i dont THINK that salmon hang out in the waters near, or even close to Japan... and with the vast millions of gallons of water in the Pacific, even 1000 gallons of radiation wouldnt pose a risk... i would be dilluted beyond belief...

now resident fish, that stay near the area impacted by them dumping the water, most deffinately test them if you are going to eat them...

#758123 - 05/07/12 10:01 PM Re: nessecary, or not? [Re: ]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
Smoke it,and/or give it away....stick to ling or butt...works for us

#758129 - 05/07/12 10:28 PM Re: nessecary, or not? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

TWO moderators? REALLY?

ive talked with and to BD since my inception on the internet fishing forums, same with Dr Hook, whome i still talk with to this day... and JG, like i said, he did his job... BD was answering a question basically that i didnt know about, thats hardly "getting attention" thats called being an active member of the forum, and being a human being in general responding to someone... my misspelling, and or being upset about something has nothing to do with being deliberate...

deliberate is :

posting stupid upside down boots, and LYING about it, then, pulling the same crap over and over...

bumping threads 90 years old, just to be an idiot...

responding to peoples posts, with nothing to say but retarded remarks towards said person...

THATS deliberate...

none if which i do, unless, you got it, its done first...

just like you do, will, and HAVE...

you might think your riding on a Clydesdale, but your actually riding on a mini... when you realize that, you might take people differently...

untill then, i havent done sh!t but ask some damn questions...

HI!!

#758131 - 05/07/12 10:33 PM Re: nessecary, or not? [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: rh
with the vast millions of gallons of water in the Pacific, even 1000 gallons of radiation wouldnt pose a risk... i would be dilluted beyond belief...

Tell us about your vast knowledge of radioactive material and radioactive decay so we can cipher on your credentials and decide if we can take this statement as fact.

Thank you.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#758133 - 05/07/12 10:42 PM Re: nessecary, or not? [Re: Dan S.]
redhook
Unregistered

i have no vast knowledge of radioactive materials, what i do have vast knowledge of is, MEASUREMENTS...

millions of gallons of water X small amounts of radiation = nothing to worry about..

if you didnt know, we used to test Nuclear Bombs under water.. specifically the test bombs before Ivy Mike, Little Boy, Baker, and others... full scale nuclear bombs going of UNDER water, releasing all radiation into the surrounding water... and nothing every went haywire...

ever...

measurement wise, i like to grow things with various methods of Hydroponics, and measurments/chemical balances, are everything when it comes to that...

its logic, and not hard to understand that there will not be severe, or even moderate nuclear contamination from Fukushima, cant and wont happen...

#758134 - 05/07/12 10:44 PM Re: nessecary, or not? [Re: ]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
The only reason I'm here is

posting stupid upside down boots, and LYING about it, then, pulling the same crap over and over...

bumping threads 90 years old, just to be an idiot...

responding to peoples posts, with nothing to say but retarded remarks towards said person...

#758135 - 05/07/12 10:46 PM Re: nessecary, or not? [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
With the Cesium radiation we are talking about, the main difference between really concentrated, and really diffuse, is the amount of time it will take to give you cancer...it's half life is really long, it accumulates in fish, and it accumulates in you if you eat it, meaning it doesn't go away when you eat a little, it piles up, until you've eaten enough that you now have a lot in you...and "a lot" doesn't take very much.

I'd say it's a good idea to check, even if it's a low chance of finding it.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#758137 - 05/07/12 10:48 PM Re: nessecary, or not? [Re: fish4brains]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

I am part of a task force that responds to weapons of mass destructions in FEMA region 9. We've not really heard anything about the water contamination and its threats to us. There was research done and scenarios ran at the Pentagon, but no real alerts issued so I don't see it as a big worry.

I ran into an older gentlemen that used to guard ranges where they tested nuclear bombs. He was fine but seemed surprised when he told me the VA did lots of testing on him and he didn't know why.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |