Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#758678 - 05/09/12 05:55 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: redhook
the hard drive is a Toshiba HDD 2181... i pulled it out, and turned the computer on... guess what... no grinding fan like noise, and it went to the "no bootable devices" screen rather quickly... put it back in, and its grinding away, taking forever to boot up again... you can also feel vibration directy over the top of where the drive sits in the computer... and its back to its slow ways of getting to the blue error screen...

i will try your link, but with the drive making this much noise, its almost a dead giveaway...

If it's making noise like that, it's toast.

Looks like those older HDD's are more expensive than I thought. C&P the link into your browser.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007605%20600003442&IsNodeId=1&name=IDE%20Ultra%20ATA100%20%2f%20ATA-6
Cheaper but smaller here..
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST980815A-80GB-5400rpm-Drive/dp/tech-data/B000H4WKWK
Double-check the interface before you buy, but I believe these are correct.
If you try to go bigger than 137GB you may have trouble.

There was a 137GB ceiling with the old BIOS instruction sets.
The new instruction set would allow "large drive recognition".
If you haven't flashed BIOS before, probably not a good time to practice with the machine inoperable, etc.
Look for a 120GB or smaller if you have this older BIOS.

You could look up the Dell model number and see what HDD options they offered.

#758679 - 05/09/12 05:56 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: stlhead]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Sound like it is dead. I'd recommend putting an eye hook in it and using it as a flasher for the next time you go fishing....that is if you ever fish.

#758680 - 05/09/12 06:03 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: stonefish]
redhook
Unregistered

DD it sounds like a quieter blender basically... but with it working the way it was yesterday, atleast i have eliminated the Motherboard issue... so now i just need a HDD..

stone, i fish, ive been fishing 2 times in the last 4 days, but since its lakes and for trout, it doesnt count as fishing...and id rather use my Seps flashers than a Toshiba wink

#758683 - 05/09/12 06:27 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

i dont need anything larger than 120 DD... 80 would even work, as i dont plan to use this for anything but surfing and minor stuff.. no music, no programs, nothing... my big computers are 500 gig, and 640 gig, i use them for the music and other crap...

like i said, i have the 500 gig external HD, if i need to save anything on this laptop, i can use it instead of the internal HDD... that way i can take the information to whatever computer i wish, and i wont lag the laptop down with a bunch of crap on it....

thanks for your help, i appreciate it...

and yeah, HD prices have been going up, and down, and up... theres a good computer shop down the street i can get an 80 from for like 40 or 60 bucks, i cant remember, the 120 if i remember right is 60 bucks... the one in the computer is only a 30, so either would be an improvement over it... plus, this laptop has simple hook up to external monitors such as my LCD TV... which will be cool streaming UFC fights and such...

#758684 - 05/09/12 06:30 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

i dont need anything larger than 120 DD... 80 would even work, as i dont plan to use this for anything but surfing and minor stuff.. no music, no programs, nothing... my big computers are 500 gig, and 640 gig, i use them for the music and other crap...

like i said, i have the 500 gig external HD, if i need to save anything on this laptop, i can use it instead of the internal HDD... that way i can take the information to whatever computer i wish, and i wont lag the laptop down with a bunch of crap on it....

thanks for your help, i appreciate it...

and yeah, HD prices have been going up, and down, and up... theres a good computer shop down the street i can get an 80 from for like 40 or 60 bucks, i cant remember, the 120 if i remember right is 60 bucks... the one in the computer is only a 30, so either would be an improvement over it... plus, this laptop has simple hook up to external monitors such as my LCD TV... which will be cool streaming UFC fights and such...

Be sure to get the correct interface...I think that Dell is ATA-100 (PATA)

#758685 - 05/09/12 06:30 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

i can also upgrade the Ram to 2 gigs for 50 bucks as well... might not be a bad idea..

http://www.amazon.com/memory-upgrade-Inspiron-Notebook-Laptop/dp/B001SVLP9U/ref=pd_cp_pc_3

i will see how quick it is tho with the new HDD in it and the existing Ram and Motherboard before i go doing that...

#758687 - 05/09/12 06:41 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

Dell forums say that it is an IDE aka PATA aka ATA drive just like you said... and 120 gigs are fine... they also say that i can have the tech guy Clone the OS and all programs on this drive and have the image installed on the new drive making it plug and play... that is, IF its salvageable, which it might not be from the noise its making... the computer we had built before my dad died, runs SATA and RAID componets, but thats kinda redundant..

pretty simple fix and not too pricey for a decent laptop...

#758688 - 05/09/12 06:42 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

i can also upgrade the Ram to 2 gigs for 50 bucks as well... might not be a bad idea..

http://www.amazon.com/memory-upgrade-Inspiron-Notebook-Laptop/dp/B001SVLP9U/ref=pd_cp_pc_3

i will see how quick it is tho with the new HDD in it and the existing Ram and Motherboard before i go doing that...

If I remember correctly, XP likes at least 1 GB....the early XP machines shipped with 256 MB and would have to page like crazy.
If it's a two-channel board be sure that's turned on.

But, yeah, get the friggin thing running and stable before monkeying with memory upgrades.

#758689 - 05/09/12 06:48 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: Direct-Drive]
redhook
Unregistered

the cards that are in it are twin 128s... and its a 1.5ghz system... but it was clipping along pretty decent last night before i shut it off... watched some videos on youtube, went to Facebook, and it was quick and nice quality... but yeah, i should get it working correctly before upgrading stuff...

Abu kiss my a$$...

#758691 - 05/09/12 07:09 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

oh sh!t... guess what DD.. i was looking through the box, grabbing all the driver and other disks... guess what i found?

the windows XP OS disk!!!

just got that much easier, and cheaper...

since this isnt my info on here, and she didnt care, should i format the hard drive and see if its maybe corrupted or something and re install the OS and Drivers? or would that be a waste of time?

#758692 - 05/09/12 07:20 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

oh sh!t... guess what DD.. i was looking through the box, grabbing all the driver and other disks... guess what i found?

the windows XP OS disk!!!

just got that much easier, and cheaper...

since this isnt my info on here, and she didnt care, should i format the hard drive and see if its maybe corrupted or something and re install the OS and Drivers? or would that be a waste of time?

I think that was on your list of things to do a few posts back.
Glad you found it.

If that HDD is making all the noise you say it is, I would considered it toast.
I wouldn't do sh!t with it unless it came up clean after a diagnostic.
Burn the free bootdisk I linked you and run the Toshiba diagnostic before wasting time with it.

Edit:
Use the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test.

#758694 - 05/09/12 07:27 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: Direct-Drive]
redhook
Unregistered

im out of CDs right now, i used my last ones a month or so ago... i turned the computer back on to see if it would stop grinding and making the noise like it did last night... no dice... matter of fact, i picked it up to listen closer to it, and the thing started squealing for a second then went back to the WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH buzzing grinding noise, and takes a minute to get to the error screen... im not gonna waste any more time with this thing... ill just get a new HD and start over... i also dont care to see someone elses information on a computer, so, i guess its win win....ill just throw this hard drive in my friends incinerator or something and be done with it....

cant beat a new(to me) lap top for under 100 bucks...

#758710 - 05/09/12 09:08 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
When you get to the point, I have service packs for xp on disc....could mail them to you. I want them back tho.

#758715 - 05/09/12 09:17 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ParaLeaks]
redhook
Unregistered

that would be awesome if i need them... the OS disk includes SP1, and i think or thought i could get the rest from Microsoft on the net... not sure tho, so if i need em, ill even pay for postage both ways... ill have it fixed within a couple days... thank you...

#758716 - 05/09/12 09:20 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

did you eat phuckin paint chips as a kid or something?

#758721 - 05/09/12 09:27 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

yeah, im talkin to him... he offered me something, so i gave him an insult...

aint very bright are you?

#758747 - 05/09/12 11:02 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

DD, i lied, i kept phuckin with it... now the HD isnt even recognized lol... but this computer has all the built in diagnostic stuff, when i was messing with it, the drive got quiter... everything passed but the HD... then it just stopped making noise all together... and now only makes noise a little every few seconds and sometimes longer...

its smoked...

might get the HD this week, otherwise it will likely be on the weekend...

what RPM drive would you reccomend? the 4200 or if i can get it the 5600?

i know speed is everything, but will 1400 RPM make that much of a difference?

#758752 - 05/09/12 11:33 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

DD, i lied, i kept phuckin with it... now the HD isnt even recognized lol... but this computer has all the built in diagnostic stuff, when i was messing with it, the drive got quiter... everything passed but the HD... then it just stopped making noise all together... and now only makes noise a little every few seconds and sometimes longer...

its smoked...

might get the HD this week, otherwise it will likely be on the weekend...

what RPM drive would you reccomend? the 4200 or if i can get it the 5600?

i know speed is everything, but will 1400 RPM make that much of a difference?

Most of the replacements for that lappy will be 5400 RPM. Just get one of those, they don't seem to cost any more.
It will be a little quicker because of that and a freshly loaded OS.

#758766 - 05/10/12 01:21 AM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: Direct-Drive]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Wow.......

#758773 - 05/10/12 02:09 AM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: snit]
redhook
Unregistered

it is pretty interesting isn't it?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FishTickler, LadyZehe, MADWIZERD
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 368 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63789 Topics
645468 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |