Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75960 - 02/02/03 09:12 PM deer hunting
Sullie Offline
Spawner

how many of you out there use 12 gauge slugs for deer?

#75961 - 02/02/03 10:09 PM Re: deer hunting
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
I have shot one deer with a 12ga. I was using Federal 1.25 ounce slugs with a Aimpoint scope on my Mossberg 500, 28" barrel mod. choke. That deer went about thiry yards and dropped dead. There was a spray of blood and fur about 2x3 feet where it was hit and a trail of blood right up to the deer. Not drops but a steady line. That deer had a hole the size of a quarter going in and one slightly bigger then a baseball coming out. It took out three ribs and the entire shoulder. If you want short range knock down power you can not beat a 12ga slug. Just make sure you don't have a quartering shot or you will do what I did. The deer was about 40 yards away when shot also.

#75962 - 02/02/03 11:09 PM Re: deer hunting
Fish4Fun Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton
Sullie13

Through the years we have done a lot of shotgun deer hunts. Never have used slugs though, they rip up too much meat. All of our deer taken with shotguns were shot with 3" Mag. 00 Buckshot. Can't ever remember a deer going more than a step or two after the shot.

#75963 - 02/03/03 12:31 PM Re: deer hunting
lobo Offline
Fry

Loc: Buckley,WA
In New York, that is the only way to legally hunt during modern firearm season in most of the state. I've killed dozens of whitetails with 12, 16 and 20 GA slugs. We normally shoot them through a shorter slug barrell with open rifle sights on them. They have become more accurate over the years since most manufacturers offer a slug that has rifling grooves cast right into the lead slug. With a 2 3/4 inch 12 GA and good shells, I have an effective range (consistently inside a pie plate)of about 80 yards and I am by no means a great shot. I imagine the 3 1/2 inch guns extend that some.
A well placed shot will not ruin any good meat. I killed a buck at 60 yards last year that ran about 20 yards. He was shot in the chest just above the heart for a double lung shot. The entrance hole was about 1 inch in diameter and the exit hole, after blasting thorugh both rib cages, was about 2 inches in diameter. The slog was still in one piece, but was flattened and much wider than it was when it entered. A shoulder shot can sometimes get messy if the slug fragments. My opinion is that shooting a deer with a slug vs. buck shot is similar to shooting a rabbit with a .22 vs. shotgun shot. shoot
On average, the buckshot is going to damage more meat because the shot does have a spread. Your range with a slug will be better as well. If shots aren't well placed, then it doesn't matter what weapon or ammunition you choose. You will damage meat and you will risk losing the animal.
My weapon of choice in thick cover where your shots will be at close range would definitely be a slug shotgun with open sights. I'd also consider using this setup when I'm hunting in an area where I am concerned about a bullet traveling a mile or more.

-lobo

P.S. My Dad's nickname is Slug and he sure has earned it. He worked for Ithaca Gun making Deerslayer shotguns and has slayed a few in his time, helping the New York State wildlife managers control that abundant whitetail herd.

#75964 - 02/03/03 01:16 PM Re: deer hunting
Fish4Fun Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton
Lobo,

When shooting the 00 Buck we always shoot at the head, never body shots. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot 50 yards at a deer with buckshot. 30 inch barrel and a modified choke puts a pretty tight group out there. You are only talking about 9 or so pellets. We used to partake in the either sex hunts in Southwest Washington back in the early 70's. All of us would shoot 00 Buck and be tagged out by noon the first day. With 5 or 6 deer on the ground every time we hunted that area I was able to see just how effective Buckshot can be. These were logged off areas too, not brush. what

#75965 - 02/04/03 09:55 PM Re: deer hunting
brassonbrass Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Poulsbo
Lobo-

#75966 - 02/04/03 10:01 PM Re: deer hunting
brassonbrass Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Poulsbo
Lobo-How much is it for an out-of-state license to hunt upstate NY? Sounds like you guys have a heck of a good whitetail population out there! Is it reasonable for a guy who's never been there, to actually be able to find a good place to hunt and take a deer without a guide? How do you get your meat back here to Washington?? Or do you leave it there for your family? Thanks, Brass

#75967 - 02/08/03 02:38 PM Re: deer hunting
lobo Offline
Fry

Loc: Buckley,WA
This year it costs $110. Out of state hunters can apply for additional tags as well.
New York State Hunting License Page

As far as land access goes, there really is not much public land there. We have been on a few pieces of state land, but they get a lot of pressure. I hunt on land that we have hunted and farmed for years. It is getting more difficult every year to find places to go because our old farming friends are losing their farms. frown The bow season doesn't get nearly as much pressure there and you might be able to find some space on public land before the real slaughter begins.

If I was looking for an out of state hunt I don't think I'd recommend New York to someone going blindly and knows noone there. Pennsylvania would be better with more public forests and an excessive deer (and black bear) population. I'd probably be looking at Montana or Wyoming instead, although I've never done that either.

In order to return meat, I buy a cheap styrofoam cooler, fill it with backstraps and dry ice, and take it on the plane with me. The rest of it stays with dad.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
captainchris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1383 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645416 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |