Rate This Topic
#758951 - 05/10/12 07:38 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: Dave Vedder]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

Joni Mitchell

Do I win?

smile
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#758958 - 05/10/12 08:02 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Hankster
You would have won if you had said they paved paradise, but you get a consolation prize anyway for correctly saying Joni.

Counting Crows had a better version. wink

Damn, those old Haight-Ashbury hippies perk up at certain key words.

grin

#758967 - 05/10/12 08:20 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: Direct-Drive]
redhook
Unregistered

heres one of my dad from the late 70s...

#758996 - 05/10/12 09:39 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

these are some of my absolute favorite flies for Cutthroat...

this is another test, im trying to figure out everything on this scanner printer thing and am just using this thread to do so without making another one...

#759050 - 05/11/12 01:07 AM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

stam, he never had a pupp...

we did tho... several, over 10 German Shepards when i was growing up... this isnt fishing, but its me with 2 of the baddest motherphuckin German Sheps you will ever see... one was killed by a car, the other was sold to the King County K-9 division...

#759086 - 05/11/12 11:18 AM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
Originally Posted By: 2MANY
Your shorter than I thought.

Shorter and younger...

#759102 - 05/11/12 12:54 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: Timber]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

No, not younger, just shorter . . .

#759316 - 05/12/12 04:04 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: Salmo g.]
redhook
Unregistered

ok DD, i have some issues... i went to 2 local computer shops today, and neither of them carry the IDE drives anymore, as you know they are out dated and everything runs of SATA or whatever now...

newegg is expensive, and they have a 1 year warranty on their HDDs... on Ebay i have found HDD for very good prices... i can get a Toshiba 80gig refurbed, for 50 bucks, with a 5 year warranty... or i can get a brand new 80 gig factory sealed with a 3 year warranty for 53.00...

as you can see, the warranty is great, but if it crashes and i lose everything even if its under warranty, still makes the warranty worthless in a way (thank god i have the externals)....

so what would YOU do? wink

ok to trust ebay?

#759317 - 05/12/12 04:24 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Excitable Bob Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: fuctifino
I go to Infotech in Federal Way if I need something now.

Linky

Call before you go to make sure it is in stock.

You should keep everything backed up in case of failure.
Come on down where we can play
Come on down to my boat baby
Come on down we'll sail away.

#759318 - 05/12/12 04:25 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

I was wondering how you'd do at that local shop.....

What about that Amazon link that I put up a few posts back ?

Warranty will be based on HDD manufacturer and model chosen.
Seagate usually has the longest warranties.....5 years.
There are some 1's and 3's, depends on the model.

Once you find a make/model Google it and see what the reviews say.
Even though it's outdated, the reviews will still be accessible. Usually good feedback database on HDD's if you look around.

You will probably end up with an 80GB @ 5400RPM.....a very common lappy HDD from that era.

#759321 - 05/12/12 04:36 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: Direct-Drive]
redhook
Unregistered

the models on ebay are the Toshiba 2190, the one in the computer is a Toshiba 2180... i figured if i just replaced it with the same brand, just a higher gig, that i wouldnt run into any problems whatsoever, as its basically the same, just bigger... ive searched around, and most places (actual stores and what not) are selling them for 100+ dollars in most cases... with ebay, i cut that in half... but you cant always guarentee good people on ebay...

ive also read (and i dont know if this is true or not), is that the warrantys from stores, you will need to send the HDD back to the manufacturer, and they are in China.... with the ones from ebay, you are sending them back to the people you bought them from, and they are based in California, that company will then send you another HDD... so the wait time is cut 90%...

im really picky when it comes to electronics, and ive never purchased any electronic anything from ebay before... i dont want to get a HDD that looks like someone pole vaulted off of it even tho it was "new"... there is a 30 day return policy tho, and the OS and driver install will be easy (should be) anyways...

just trying to save a little here... i know cutting corners can bite you in the a$$, especially when it comes to electronics, but if its the same brand, it shouldnt be bad... atleast i hope...

EB, i will give them a call and see what their prices are too, thanks..

#759322 - 05/12/12 04:42 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

oh yeah, the Toshiba Laptop i have, is also an IDE drive, so im in the same position with that one as well...

#759328 - 05/12/12 06:29 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: redhook
the models on ebay are the Toshiba 2190, the one in the computer is a Toshiba 2180... i figured if i just replaced it with the same brand, just a higher gig, that i wouldnt run into any problems whatsoever, as its basically the same, just bigger... ive searched around, and most places (actual stores and what not) are selling them for 100+ dollars in most cases... with ebay, i cut that in half... but you cant always guarentee good people on ebay...

ive also read (and i dont know if this is true or not), is that the warrantys from stores, you will need to send the HDD back to the manufacturer, and they are in China.... with the ones from ebay, you are sending them back to the people you bought them from, and they are based in California, that company will then send you another HDD... so the wait time is cut 90%...

im really picky when it comes to electronics, and ive never purchased any electronic anything from ebay before... i dont want to get a HDD that looks like someone pole vaulted off of it even tho it was "new"... there is a 30 day return policy tho, and the OS and driver install will be easy (should be) anyways...

just trying to save a little here... i know cutting corners can bite you in the a$$, especially when it comes to electronics, but if its the same brand, it shouldnt be bad... atleast i hope...

EB, i will give them a call and see what their prices are too, thanks..

You don't like this one ?

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST980815A-80GB-5400rpm-Drive/dp/tech-data/B000H4WKWK

Brand doesn't matter whatsoever.
Just make sure that the interface is correct and that it got good reviews.

#759333 - 05/12/12 08:10 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: Direct-Drive]
redhook
Unregistered

DD, i just want to give you a big a$$ thank you for everything...

heres what i did, and what happened...

so i was sitting here, like WTF, WHY do i have to order a HDD and not be able to find one... and was thinking, WHY the hell wouldnt the Toshiba's HDD work in the Dell?.. so i said screw it, time to pull em apart...

as you know, the Dell HDD was a Toshiba 2181... well, the Toshiba was a Toshiba 2171 (10 more gigs than the 2181... so i pulled both of em out, and they looked exactly the same... took them out of the caddys, pulled the adapter off the 2181 that Dell uses, and slipped it on to the 2171 and it went on perfectly... slid it into the Dell with zero issues, and fired it up... at first i was getting the blue screen error code, so, i took the OS disk from dell, and booted from that... it asked what partition to install on, so i clicked the only one available... well that had an OS on it already.. when it got screwed, i installed a Windows disk onto it, that i didnt have the product Key for, so, it gave me like 15 days or something and then nada... so i formatted that partition, and started installing the disk that came with the Dell....

went off without a hitch... installed drivers, no problem... then i went to starting connecting to the internet... i had a few little bugs to work out, but i GOT IT!!! the computer is working flawlessly, and is rather quick for however old it is...

just want to give a big THANK YOU for your help during this.. i really appreciate the time you took to even respond to me with the information you provided... if i can make it up to you someday, i will gladly do that...

once again, THANKS...

greetings from Puyallup

PS, its the Dell wink thumbs

oh yeah, i still would like to get 2 larger HDDs for both of these, and for some reason i didnt see the Amazon link you posted, but those look like great deals, and i will be getting 2 of them....

#759334 - 05/12/12 08:11 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

oh, and repair costs totalled ZERO, hows that for "magic" haters?

just kidding, you helped to by keeping me determined and my mind set on something... thank you as well...

#759335 - 05/12/12 08:31 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

'puters...just have to let them know who's boss.

thumbs

Not to be a buzzkill, but did you save the OS/profile for the Toshiba ?

#759336 - 05/12/12 08:45 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: Direct-Drive]
redhook
Unregistered

no, i had to reformat that drive due to the dickweeds that screwed it up the last time... it bascially was just a HDD sitting here waiting to be used, and since i didnt have the OS disk, i couldnt do it... the computer shops here wouldnt even give me a disk to install it without giving them another 90 dollars... what im gonna do with the Toshiba is buy another HDD, and get another OS and start over... i may have a friend of my dads that will send me a disk for free, but hes in American Fork Utah.. he is the one that built our big computer, he was my dads IT and builds computers for the US Government.. at the time that computer was built, it had state of the art stuff in it, and even being 10+ years old, will still kick the sh!t out of some newer systems...

its all good, starting over isnt much of a problem... what is a problem is how good im getting working on these damn things and cant get a job at a computer place because i dont have a "Computer Science" degree or whatever is needed...

over the last year, this is the 10th computer ive fixed for friends and family and myself.... all without fancy programs, an office with multiple computers and screens, diagnostic software, ect... just straight up brain skill and patience...

some day ill put it to good use i hope, right now i just fix peoples stuff for free, because i enjoy the smiles on their faces 9 months later when they are still using it, and were considering smashing it with a hammer or whatnot...

thanks again man, i really appreciate it...

#759338 - 05/12/12 08:56 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: redhook
... i may have a friend of my dads that will send me a disk for free, but hes in American Fork Utah..

Your Toshiba is XP Professional, right ?
If he burns you a copy of XP Pro OEM you will be able to plug in your XP Pro product key and be good to go.

It's not that difficult to burn a copy of a Windows disk.
Last time I burned one it was with Nero wich is medium-low power burning software.
There is free burning software that is more powerful than Nero.

#759340 - 05/12/12 09:11 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: Direct-Drive]
redhook
Unregistered

oh yeah i get ya... yeah it will be no problem, i just need the disk...

its extremely simple to burn the disks, but the computer shops around here WILL NOT help you... they charge 75-90 dollars for Home, and 130 for Pro, its all a money scheme with them... they also charge flat rate 99 an hour for virus removal... if they dont watch it with me and trying to take my money, i will steal their buisiness by charging 50, and doing it myself... i pad 90 for the install on a new HD for one of my Desktops, and it shut off while my GF was on it and is now at the black screen that says files may be corrupt, and to insert the OS disk to repair...

they wont help me, without paying them 99 bucks for their "flat rate"... the dude that did the install on that one, had to move to Lousiana to take care of his dying dad, otherwise he would have given me a copy... he is the one that told me the process of how to find out if it was a software or hardware issue with the Toshiba, that i fixed, when the other shop completely broke it and said it was fried... they also said that they couldnt recover any data from the drive, and erased it...

needless to say, they arent very bright, even when i went in there today, they looked at me crosseyed like "oh sh!t, this dude aint gonna spend money here", so after a bit, they kinda just ignored me... supposedly the buisiness has been there for 20+ years... if they act like that, and dont know what the fvck they are doing, they wont last 5 more, unless they get gullible people that dont know anything to come into their shop and they can act like computer gods... all they are is high budget morons that think they can get over on people....

NOT ME...

screw it, i think im gonna look into taking college courses to get my degree, and give people quality work, without the crap...

screw the Geek Squad

screw Creative Computer Sales

screw Computer Citi

screw 70 percent of computer shops that only want your money and dont care about you, or their reputation...

its not rocket science, and they need to stop portraying it as so... hell, maybe i could make my first million opening up a computer shop... skys the limit right?

#759354 - 05/12/12 11:53 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
No Warranty Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Congratulations on the computer and the realization that you need to find a job. As you may have finally figured out, posting on fishing forums in the middle of the day doesn't pay squat.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 972 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |