THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#759873 - 05/15/12 12:21 AM What drifting option should I purchase?
Nimpo60 Offline
Alevin

So I've been steelheading for 3 years now and I find myself fishing all over the state of WA every weekend from October through Mid-April. I cannot get enough fishing for steelhead in. I used to fish for bass in the springtime-- but now feel like fishing for them is weak-- like reeling in a perch in August at Ohop Lake. I like fish with power. I am addicted to steelhead and salmon fishing.

I've been bank fishing and done pretty well- but I am ready to step up to a drift boat/raft/small sled/pram or something to get into more areas. Ideally I'd want something to power up the river and eliminate the need for a shuttle.

I've researched the hybrid jet/drift (like the Hyde Power drifter) but it seems like a lot of mixed reviews out there on those. An old-timer told me a jon boat with a small jet is great option. I am not completely against a classic drift boat either.

Just looking for some advice from all you vets.

#759881 - 05/15/12 12:39 AM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: Nimpo60]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
drift boats are super fun. I'm no old timer, and have only been rowing for a year and a half but take this piece of advice... Always drop your anchor when you walk away from your boat even if it's all the way up on the bank... wink A sled is next on my list. You'll probably find that you'll end up wanting a sled for certain fisheries and a drift boat for others. drift boats are killer for getting into holes that you may otherwise would never have seen from the bank. However, be prepared to not fish as much if you're fishing a couple buddies out of it. For instance, I semi-recently went on a two day OP trip. We floated two full days and I fished for a total of about a half hour the entire weekend. Haha. Teach your buddies to row. I'll be teaching mine this summer!

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#759885 - 05/15/12 12:55 AM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: steeliedrew]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
If you're going to do it, do it right...there is a reason no credible guide in this state uses a hybrid jet/drifter....get a drift boat or raft...OR...get a sled. Hybrids row like crap (from what I've heard...never met anyone who has owned one)...and don't side drift like a well designed sled (Willie Predator or Alumaweld Supervee). Just my opinion...it's free advice so take it for what it's worth smile

#759896 - 05/15/12 01:49 AM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: Moravec]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Depends how much you want to spend:

Much of my fishing was from the bank....early age, teens, and into my mid 20's....it was what I could afford, caught fish, and enjoyed the time fishing from banks.

1. 1st boat was actual a "2 man rubber raft"....Lived in the Redmond area but love to fish in Eastern WA....would drive to the "George", blow the raft up and fish the lakes in that area.....Dusty, Burke, Evergreen and others.......that raft opened my eyes to being able to get away from the bank.

2. 1974...bought a 14' Starcraft, new 15 hp Johnson, and a trailer....lived where I still do....that combination allowed me to fish the Chehalis, the tidal areas of the Humptulips, lower Satsop, lower Wynoochee, John's River, North River, and others......loved to fish searun cutthroat and this allow that plus could troll for salmon in the Chehalis.

3. 1984...Used Clackacraft driftboat, thanks Fred Pentt, and this allow me to fish the Hoh, Queets, upper Quinault plus all the other rivers in Region 6......but it was a "pain in the [Bleeeeep!]"....needed 2 rigs, or bike, to use for "turn around"

4. 1989....got a small 14' valco and put a new 50 HP Yamaha on it. New world....could put in, run where I wanted....if weather turned bad, out I went.....still had the driftboat and kept it until 2000, only used it 4 or 5 times in that 11 years....so sold it.....miss it not.

5. Now have a 17', 72" bottom, custom made jet boat. Does all I need it to do....lot's of room....fish salmon and steelhead from it.

No easy answer......been thur all the chats....bankies vs. driftboats vs. jetboats.....the peace and quiet vs. jetboat noise, all in all....at my age, 71, bank fishing and the jet boat are my ways to enjoy my hobby.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#759900 - 05/15/12 02:06 AM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: DrifterWA]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
I'd suggest that you stay away from the jon boat. Most don't have the freeboard and handling characteristics that are needed on our rivers. They work on slow moving streams like you find in the SE US and on small lakes/ponds.

DrifterWA gives you a good outline of things to think about.

#759905 - 05/15/12 03:05 AM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: bushbear]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Get a driftboat...and for God's sake, don't put a fuckin trolling motor on it.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#759914 - 05/15/12 08:53 AM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: Todd]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Originally Posted By: Todd
Get a driftboat...and for God's sake, don't put a fuckin trolling motor on it.

Fish on...

Todd

Hey now Todd, I only use the minn Kota for baker lake now. I tried side drifting with it on the cowlitz a couple times but it's a pain in the arse. I don't float the cowlitz anymore because that water is just so damn big for a drift boat in my opinion. Now days I prefer to just row my buddies into fish. it's fun because I the team aspect of it. I'm sure most of you can agree. It's just as fun for me when someone hooks a fish in my boat. Still need to teach my buddies to row though!

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#759916 - 05/15/12 09:32 AM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: steeliedrew]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Boats.....gawd.....it begins! smile

Break out the wallet.......and keep it out.....you'll need it!

There is no such thing as one ideal boat for all aspects of fishing, so it starts with the question, "What do I want to fish "mostly" and then adapt from there. I won't tell you how many boats I have, but it's ridiculous. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages.......but you'll figure out that the door you just opened is going to be its own animal.....don't let it eat up your life. (tic)

Good Luck.

#759926 - 05/15/12 10:48 AM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: Nimpo60]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Nimpo60

I've been bank fishing and done pretty well- but I am ready to step up to a drift boat/raft/small sled/pram or something to get into more areas. Ideally I'd want something to power up the river and eliminate the need for a shuttle.

Sled.

#759929 - 05/15/12 11:02 AM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: Direct-Drive]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres

Buy one of these.... Very important to not forget the bow ornament!!

#759930 - 05/15/12 11:02 AM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: Direct-Drive]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

I need about six or seven boats and about four kayaks to get me through a season but my first choice on the list is always a drift boat. Year round applications starting winter steelhead, spring lakes, summer runs, fall salmon and back again.

Sleds, saltwater boats, kayaks and rafts are just doors to more choices.
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#759931 - 05/15/12 11:07 AM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: Timber]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Originally Posted By: Timber

Is the bow ornament for dealing with Romulus and Edgar?

#759932 - 05/15/12 11:11 AM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: steeliedrew]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: steeliedrew

Sleds above White bridge?
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#759933 - 05/15/12 11:44 AM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: JTD]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

[quote=JTD

Sleds above White bridge?[/quote]

Clear to Carter Creek, if the water is "running height"......if you don't know what running height is.....then head for one of these "drift boat rivers".....East/West Fork of the Humptulips, upper Quinault, Queets, upper Hoh or stay in your Tacoma area......hehehehe fish the Green, the Puyallup, the Carbon, or the Nisqually......save your $4.00 a gallon gas........

Too early in the year for this.........

#759935 - 05/15/12 12:01 PM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: DrifterWA]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

It was a joke... have another cup of coffee crabby.

Geesh.

#759945 - 05/15/12 01:58 PM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: JTD]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Knee replacement makes me crabby........but its gettng better.....

I haven't fish the area in question since 2003 or 2004 but I do like to fish below Carter CK. to White Bridge..... now that NOF process got a 1 Coho limit in the Wynoochee this year......I sure could be there!!!!!!!

30 years in a high school classroom......takes quite a bit to "push my hot button"

#759948 - 05/15/12 02:14 PM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: DrifterWA]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Knee replacement would do that to me too and I can give any high school kid a run for his money when it comes to delivering flack and high jinx.

You heal quickly Sir... there are fish to catch.

#759949 - 05/15/12 02:21 PM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: JTD]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: JTD
Originally Posted By: steeliedrew

Sleds above White bridge?

Haven't fished the Nooch when there is higher water for a few years just for that reason!

#759956 - 05/15/12 02:26 PM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: DrifterWA]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA

Clear to Carter Creek, if the water is "running height"......if you don't know what running height is.....then head for one of these "drift boat rivers".....East/West Fork of the Humptulips, upper Quinault, Queets, upper Hoh or stay in your Tacoma area......hehehehe fish the Green, the Puyallup, the Carbon, or the Nisqually......save your $4.00 a gallon gas........

Too early in the year for this.........

Drifter sounds like you don't know much about the Nisqually because it certainly is not just a "drift boat river" by any stretch of the imagination!

#760129 - 05/16/12 12:21 AM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: Timber]
Nimpo60 Offline
Alevin

Thanks for all the feedback. Is there any decent way to power a drift boat up a river? Or is it just stupid?

I fish the Wynoochee 50% of the time and I am hoping to find something that would work well there. I also need something with a steady spot to hold some Crown when I toast the Queen in celebration.

I hope to catch some fish too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (steely slammer, Carcassman, 1 invisible), 333 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645369 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |