THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76307 - 04/07/03 01:42 AM Re: Wolf Question???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Curtis,, Forgot to mention I got a 400 pounder sitting right behind me that I got a few years back, just right out of E-claw and another up on Tiger summit.

Dont wait untill the fall, I believe the season start in July/August for Bear.

Also if your into bowhunting you may wanna check out this Youth Bow camp. Heard nothing but good about it and the price is incredible.

If your interested in going, I know a few kids your age that have been going 3-4 years now, you may even know them (Greenwater) If you want I can get you in touch via email and ask them any questions.

============================
CYM Bow camp is a five day bowhunting camp for 7th to 12th graders. The camp is held in the beautiful cascade mountains near White Pass. The camp includes a four day 3D shoot, Bowhunters Ed course, advanced hunting techniques, evening rallies, team games and recreation. Classes for alumni include an overnight survival course, bow tuning, making your own calls, field dressing, animal habitats, reading sign & tracking, stalking, camouflage, shooting form, tree stand placement, making your own 3D targets, game calls and arrows. All classes are hands on activities usually outside, we also offer bow making to some students for an additional cost. Larry D. Jones has been our guest speaker for each of the camps and the youth have greatly enjoyed him.

This years camp starts Sunday June 22 at 2 PM and ends Thursday June 27th at 1 PM. Cost for entire camp is $100 if registered before May 1st, $110 after May 1st, there are a limited number of scholarships available for those who are in need. This is our seventh year for the bow camp, we have really enjoyed holding the camp and have seen at least 100 different youth attend the camp. Camp attendees range from avid bowhunters to even some anti-hunters (who come with their friends) these youth have changed their minds to being pro hunters by the end of the camp. Attendance of the camp has ranged from 30 to 60 youth, the most youth we can have is 70.

We do advertise that the camp is taught from a Christian perspective, but the Christian program is only a 20 minute devotional in the morning and a one hour program each night. The rest of the program is strictly bowhunting.

If you can assist us in any way that would be greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to contact us:

Mark & Sacha Hasenyager

Community Youth Ministries Bow Camp

PO Box 1177

Republic, WA 99166

509-775-8057

cym@rcabletv.com

=============================

#76308 - 04/07/03 09:22 AM Re: Wolf Question???
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
Hey vodoo
Sorry man I didn't think I called you any names, but I guess you're talking about me.
You won't see cougars very often unless you know what you're looking for. You will find cougar kills if you spend anytime out in the woods of western washington. If you want to kill a cougar, you have to put in your time. It won't just fall in your lap. Best way to do it is to follow the elk herds in the snow and cut a cat track and follow it. Stalk the stalker so to speak.
Now for bears. I see a couple dozen every year. Not sure why you aren't seeing them. I don't know your hunting habits or styles so not sure what to tell ya. Nothing in life is free unless you get lucky.
Now don't take this post the wrong way. I'm not saying you don't put your time in. So don't fire back for no reason. Just trying to help.

Glow

#76309 - 04/07/03 06:06 PM Re: Wolf Question???
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Wasn't naming anyone, but I can appreciate what both sides want.

Just sick of hearing people saying, "you people are responsible for the destruction of this herd in GMU ___ because you did this!" instead of actually just getting out there and doing something.

I would still almost support more wolves... but I believe it just needs to have more thought put into it. It has to be possible, but I can understand why they are definitely NOT wanted around our herds.

I'll be putting in a lot more time this year... Got my license now, so I'll be hitting Tiger mountain, Eaton mountain, and a few others.

Curtis

#76310 - 04/09/03 01:44 AM Re: Wolf Question???
Anonymous
Unregistered

HPB,,does the cat got your tongue? Was really looking forward to hearing about your funding scenerios for re-introduction of your furry friends?

Oh well, your silence speaks for itself! rolleyes

#76311 - 04/28/03 01:23 AM Re: Wolf Question???
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: seattle wa
wolves have brought yellowstone about an additional 50 million dollars in revenue due to winter trips to try and catch a glimse of one. 50 million. doesnt forks need some extra revenue? there isnt much in the way of federal grazing land on the OP. so why would we not jump at the opportunity. god put the wolves here. how in the world could they be a threat to you when they are proven to strengthen ungulate heards. wolves dont go after the same elk that hunters go after. I live with a female grey wolf with some malmut back in the genes somewhere. and she is one of the smartest creatures i have ever met. you wouldnt think that a wolf could be funny but she is a comedian sometimes. she is smarter than most roofers I know. I dont think it is right for people to keep them or take them from the wild and i am sure that many will write and say that i am a hypocrite but i adopted her from a rescue agency in florence oregon and found out that she came from a local wolf breeder nutcase in town who gave me her history. I have lived with her for 7 years and have learned that these creatures posess incredibly human like inteligence. they have a right to life and it will strengthen both our economy and our environment to have them back home in washington where they belong. they will curb the rodent coyote,bear and cougar population and strengthen our elk and dear heards. why in the world would the people of the olympic penninsula not want them there? do you know that there has never been a documented wolf attack on a human in the wild in world history! its a myth and unless you are a sheephearder grazing wild on federal land for pennies an acre that is allergic to sheepdogs- you shoud be for it too!!

#76312 - 04/28/03 01:26 AM Re: Wolf Question???
lupo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: seattle wa
ps. wolf diet consists mainly of rodent and re-introduced wolves would take a few generations to get any proficiency in stalking any ungulates. and oce they do. its the sick and weak. wolves never risk their lives trying to kill a trophy bull

#76313 - 04/28/03 02:21 AM Re: Wolf Question???
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
Chappy....ya know, wolf hybreds are illegal in King County.

Anyway.... There was a wolf attack last summer on Vancouver Island...in the wild..

Wolves are NOT "mainly rodent" hunters. That is the domain of coyotes and specifically foxes. Wolves are a very large animal, it would take FAR too many mice, voles, etc, to fill up a wolf.

Wolves DO target a disperportionate amount of male deer and elk. They are opportunistic hunters, it is a myth that they target the sick or injured... Any animal is fair game.

#76314 - 04/29/03 10:15 AM Re: Wolf Question???
glowball Offline
Spawner

Have you ever seen the movie "The Nature of Hunting". Three wolves kill a monster bull in that movie. They have more stamina and thus can go longer. So they keep pecking at him until he gets too tired and they take him down. I guess that throws that theory out chappy.

#76315 - 04/29/03 10:19 AM Re: Wolf Question???
glowball Offline
Spawner

Oh yeah, Show me proof that people have spent 50 million JUST for the wolves. I'm pretty convinced that people don't go to Yellowstone just for the wolves. I'm betting a certain geyser has a little more pull than a wolf. Oh you've heard of her. Yep Old Faithful.

The lights, The lights. They're coming on.

#76316 - 04/29/03 04:16 PM Re: Wolf Question???
BigShark Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: PDX
The answer to the funding question is to tap into BBVD's allowance for a while. Sounds like just the right amount for a wolf program to me! Sorry, BBVD, just had to try and lighten this thread up a little. wink On a more serious note, I hope you all think this wolf business through. The cons versus the pros. Here in Oreo land we may not have a choice. I think we are going to get them even if most think its a bad idea. beathead

#76317 - 05/02/03 03:41 PM Re: Wolf Question???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, Bigshark..

They are seeking nominees...

============================Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
Internet: www.dfw.state.or.us Fax: (503) 872-5700

For Immediate Release Friday, April 25, 2003

Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission Calls for Nominations to Wolf Advisory Committee

PORTLAND - The Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission is currently accepting nominations from individuals and organizations to participate on an advisory committee that will recommend a Wolf Management Plan for Oregon.

The Commission will appoint 14 members to an advisory committee in June that includes the following: livestock producer, hunter, trapper, eastern Oregon county commissioner, wolf advocate, range/forest land conservationist, educator, wildlife biologist/researcher, economist, resident of rural Oregon, two at-large public representatives, public land manager, and tribal representative. In addition, a state wildlife biologist will work closely with the committee.

The Commission is the rule-making body for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. The seven-member panel meets monthly to establish policies and administrative regulations for the agency to implement.

The Commission recently approved a planning process to develop a wolf management plan. The decision to write a plan in advance of wolves establishing themselves in Oregon came after 15 public meetings, a legal analysis of the Oregon Endangered Species Act and several Commission meetings. Commissioners concluded that wolves will migrate to Oregon and the state needs to be prepared with a conservation-based plan.

Toward that end, the Commission approved earlier this month the following language for a working goal to initiate the planning effort: "The goal of this management plan is to ensure the long-term survival and conservation of gray wolves as required by Oregon law while minimizing conflicts with humans, primary land uses and other Oregon wildlife."

The goal statement will be used by the soon-to-be formed advisory committee as it begins work to assist ODFW with development of a management plan.

Organizations or individuals may submit nominations for one, some or all of the stakeholder groups. Nominations should include the following information: the individual's background, a statement about why the individual is qualified and the perspective they bring to the discussion, Oregon residency status, and their willingness to commit time to the planning process.

A nomination form and cover letter, a description of the planning process and background information about wolves in Oregon are posted to the ODFW Web site at http://www.dfw.state.or.us/ODFWhtml/InfoCntrWild/gray_wolf/wolf_main.htm .

Nominations to the committee must be post marked by May 15, 2003. Nominations may be sent to ODFW, Information and Education Division, P.O. Box 59, Portland, OR 97207. They also may be faxed to (503) 872-5700 or e-mailed to ODFW.Comments@state.or.us.

A two-person subcommittee of the Commission will review all the nominations and will present a recommended advisory group to the full Commission at the June 6 meeting in Pendleton.

###

#76318 - 05/22/03 11:38 AM Re: Wolf Question???
bow smackin' Offline
Egg

Loc: Washington

#76319 - 05/24/03 02:58 PM Re: Wolf Question???
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
According to a friend of mine that used to work for the Forest Service, some are already here. They found some biologists outside Cle Elum that were monitering them, apparently they had the Alpha male and female collared. This was a few years ago, so I assume there are a few more by now. If this is/was true some of that money is already being spent.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |