Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#764309 - 06/06/12 08:23 AM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: ParaLeaks]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Organic Busch Lite Tall boys??

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#764311 - 06/06/12 09:40 AM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
If they could ever come to a consensus about organic I would pay more attention to it but some studies have shown that they are no healthy than the alternatives, course they will continue to make it difficult until they figure out how to gouge us at the register.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#764333 - 06/06/12 12:05 PM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Todd has always tried to eat the good stuff...it just seems to be coming up as a topic here now.

I don't drink Busch Lite..ever.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#764340 - 06/06/12 12:19 PM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: Todd]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
Originally Posted By: Todd

I don't drink Busch Lite..ever.

Fish on...

Todd

Good....That just means more for me!! grin

#764344 - 06/06/12 12:36 PM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: Todd]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Interesting thread.

My personal feelings on food is that I try to eat food that is one ingredient so it is not like I have to read that many labels. I.e. broccoli has just the one ingredient, steak is the same. Every now and then I will buy dressing or a condiment and I read the label and compare and try to chose the one that has the least poison (soybean, corn or wheat products) in it. So I really don't spend much time reading labels, because if you pick up food in a box, it is highly likely that you will find it is bad for you.

Whenever possible I buy local or get local products. I.e. cowpooling. Like many others I buy "organic" if it tastes better, but not because of the word organic. But, I don't stress out about it.

I really don't care what anyone outside my family eats.

#764389 - 06/06/12 02:59 PM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: Rocket Red]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

This IS an interesting thread.

I think the way we, as a society, decide what foods to eat and where we decide to buy them speak volumes about what is most important to us... $$$. Most people are inclined (or, in some cases, arguably forced) to shop where food is least expensive, which leads us to places like Walmart, where a person can find healthy alternatives but is often dissuaded from purchasing them when he realizes the significantly higher cost of a freshly-prepared meal versus the heat and serve junk food on prominent display throughout the store. Factor in the time saved by not needing to cook (time is money, don't you know?), and you've got an easy sale to most Americans.

Of all the crimes being committed against humanity in the name of corporate greed, perhaps the one I find most disturbing is how we are made to pay more for raw ingredients that add up to a healthy meal than we pay for highly-processed, mass produced crap that fills our bellies (and tends to make them bigger, despite leaving us malnourished). I do my best to fight falling into the trap of supporting this trend, but I often fail, many times without even thinking about it. Popping a pizza in the oven and being done with it has a big appeal at the end of a long work day, especially when our busy lives present us with more obligations to entertain after dinner.... Which brings me to my next point:

If we're to have all the toys and services that make our lives seem somehow more worth living, we need money; more of it today than ever before. For most folks with kids, that means we need two full-time incomes. For some, that means both parents get home right around dinner time. Not only are both short on time, but they are also lacking the energy or will power to cook a healthy meal. For others, that means that Dad gets home and tags out with Mom, who works at night (or vise-versa). Mom just got out of bed, and Dad is tired and ready to relax. No cooking happening here either. Either way, the end result is often dining out (the "dollar menu") or heating up some pre-made gut filler, both of which play into the hand of Food, Inc. perfectly, but neither of which provides the nutrition the family should be getting.

I fall away much more often than I would like, but I do the best I can to combat this racket. My wife and I agreed early on that we wanted one of us to be at home with the kids and maintaining a healthy household during the day. It hasn't been easy, but we've managed to get by on my income alone. I don't have a lot of toys, but I have enough to keep me reasonably happy. Most evenings, we sit down to a home-cooked meal. Those meals don't always fit the fit and trim diet plan, but they do consist of a protein, a vegetable, and a starch (usually potatoes or rice of some sort), so they are at least well-balanced.

Like RR, I buy a lot of whole foods, and it shows in my grocery bills, which are my single largest expense every month. I also buy local whenever possible. I can sympathize with those of you who claim that shopping at Walmart, etc. is your only viable option; there are situations where that is very much the case, for a variety of reasons. All I ask of my fellow citizens is that when they compare costs of items at various retailers, they consider ALL the costs, and the social costs in particular. Often times, I suspect they would find that it's worth a few extra pennies to keep the independent businesses in town open. I also encourage everybody to eat good food, no matter what that means to you. Many of you go to great lengths to find e-0 gasoline for your boats, so why turn around and fill your body up with crap?

#764391 - 06/06/12 03:06 PM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: Rocket Red]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Read the label; set a better table.

A nutritionist friend said that to me in 1978. I haven't always since then, but mostly try to. Interesting information on some of those labels, certainly enough to steer me away from some products. Now that I'm an old fart I do check to see which ones have more or less salt, fat, and saturated fat, etc. even though I have no blood pressure issues, but I'd like to keep it that way. Mostly I buy fresh food, but we like to keep some canned vegetables on hand, especially for winter use. And I'm too lazy to make my own, so I buy marinara in jars and salad dressing.

No Whole Foods store here, but I shopped in one twice with my daughter in DC. And I received a Whole Foods reusable-recyclable grocery bag at the STP finish line one year and am still using it at both the farmer's market and the regular grocery store.

Probably gonna' cook a non-organic chicken or hamburgers tonight.

#764420 - 06/06/12 04:11 PM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

As I said above, if people want to eat garbage food from garbage stores, I think they should be able to...and it's really unfortunate that the up front costs are lower that way (forget about the down the road costs of poorer health...).

Why, though, would anyone want to stop those who choose to not eat that garbage from seeing what's in the food, right on the label? I don't care if you don't want to read the label...why would you care if I do?

Fish on...

Todd

#764425 - 06/06/12 04:29 PM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: Todd]
redhook
Unregistered

im curious...

what do you guys deem truely "organic"?

#764429 - 06/06/12 04:38 PM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

It's on the menus at most the places I eat.

Fish on...

Todd

#764444 - 06/06/12 06:08 PM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: ]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Truly organic seems to be a moving target and is one I would like to see rectified with some well thought out and substantive criteria.

I am with Todd also on why does it cost so much more to just get the raw ingredients instead of the pr-packaged processed crap. I was astounded when I checked some deli meat and found them to contain soy as a filler, that went right in the trash and I am now much more aware and on the look out for this.

It should not be this hard to find and have good products to consume.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

#764448 - 06/06/12 06:30 PM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Illyrian Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Spokane, wa
Thank goodness the Japanese still serve some meals in boxes. Usually
pretty good too.
Organic, what a laugh. It's all organic. Some just has less chemical
product extender additives. With some you get E-Coli with some
you don't.
You will pay more for the stuff that the mind tweakers on Madison
Avenue have touted.

#764526 - 06/06/12 09:32 PM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: Illyrian]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I'm not sure that it's more expensive to eat fairly healthy. Eating all one's meals at McDonalds might cost as much or more than buying fresh foods from the grocery store, not necessarily all organic labeled, but without additives etc. Seems I read something like that once, but it wasn't recent.

#764566 - 06/06/12 11:18 PM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: Salmo g.]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

It's not just eating at McDonalds or anywhere else for that matter, its that the corps have the whole game slanted in their favor and some don't even have to tell you what it is it. Just look at the Pink Slime issue, one it was out the public spoke and loudly! If its so great let them eat it, but we should have the highest standards on the planet since we are supposed to be the richest, most advanced country in the history of said planet, isn't it time we started acting like it?

Fishy

#764612 - 06/07/12 09:27 AM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: ]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I'm in love with fast food joints......no doubt about it. I hate sitting down at a restaurant and I don't love cooking either. There are better things to do with my free time than eating. If it costs me a few years, so be it......the time I saved pondering meal ingrediants probably makes the whole thing a push.
I will say that the damn weather puts a real damper on my out of the house time, and that leads to eating crap and not clearing it from my system by working outside.

#764683 - 06/07/12 02:58 PM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: ParaLeaks]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Simple and easy should not necessarily mean unhealthy and we should be able to decipher what the hell we are eating without majoring in nutrition.

Fishy

#764688 - 06/07/12 03:09 PM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Slab, glad to read you're working on the over-population problem, not to mention SS and medicare. Fast food and America loves ya' for taking yerself out early. To each his own.

#764694 - 06/07/12 03:23 PM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Absofuckinlutely.

#764727 - 06/07/12 04:39 PM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

to have truely organic vegetables, you must grow them yourself... you do not know what was used during the growing process, even if they tell you what is on the label...

people that pick berries, corn, ect, if they are say 600 yards away from the shack, and have to pee, do you think they are going to walk that far? nope, just wip it out, and pee right there... while Urea is a form of fertilizer, i dont consider piss grown Strawberrys organic.. organic farms also get bugs just like every other farm, and just because the pesticide may be labeled "non-toxic" is BS, its not AS toxic, but still toxic, if you want to find out, just drink some....

remember the lettuce recall not that long ago? that was because the mexican farmers where taking dumps in the fields because they were to lazy to walk... mmmmmm, Iceburg poopies...

also, in order to be categorized as "organic" in the United States, it has to have a minimum of 95 percent organic ingredients/compounds... whats the other 5 percent? last i checked, 95 percent isnt 100 percent...

your health depends on your diet, if you think eating "organic hamburgers" every single night is going to keep you healty, think again...

i too read labels, and stay away from high sodiums, foods with aspertame, fats, fillers, and other crap... but it actually goes far far past labels, its your diet that counts...

#764729 - 06/07/12 04:43 PM Re: The "Real entitlement Program" [Re: ]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
Redhook,

Organic has to do with the amount of metals in the fertilizer (chelated i believe??), not pee. manure is actually considered good fertilizer (broken down and not human of course)

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |