THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76705 - 07/22/03 12:36 AM Permit's are out...
BigTULE Offline
Parr

Loc: Hockinson, WA
Just checked the website, got my any deer muzzleloader hunt, but no elk tags for my party...

#76706 - 07/22/03 03:33 AM Re: Permit's are out...
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
After I enter my WILD ID number it won't load the next page. What's the deal?

#76707 - 07/22/03 04:40 AM Re: Permit's are out...
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
sounds like your connection sucks. try restarting your connection or your computer... I dont know much about computers but it works for me sometimes.

This is all just one big sign that summer is going by WAY to fast...

Curtis

#76708 - 07/22/03 09:19 AM Re: Permit's are out...
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
Bif nada for me this year. Darn it!!!!

#76709 - 07/22/03 07:23 PM Re: Permit's are out...
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Jeez...the page is really slow to open. It took me over a half hour to find out I got drawn for a bull tag!!! Finally, a Peaches Ridge A tag.

#76710 - 07/22/03 09:27 PM Re: Permit's are out...
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I got my 5th cow elk tag in 6 years! Gotta love that AHE program. No joy on my other tags, but I am building points.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#76711 - 07/22/03 10:55 PM Re: Permit's are out...
Lildrifter Offline
Fry

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Nothing for me but 2 of my sons got drawn for Pearrygin any deer so we should at least get a cuople of nice mulies.

#76712 - 07/23/03 12:17 AM Re: Permit's are out...
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
I drew a cow tag for the Little Naches.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#76713 - 07/23/03 04:46 AM Re: Permit's are out...
Fisher-Dan Offline
Fry

Loc: Auburn, Wa.
Nothing for me. I struck out on deer, elk, moose, goats ad sheep. I've got 7 points for deer, so you'd think I'd be able to draw before too long....

But.... smile my 9 and 12 year old sons both drew Umtanum cow tags. They'll be pretty pumped when they see the note I left them in the AM. I'm not exactly sure where we'll go in the Umtanum, but if we take a few recon trips we ought to be able to find some cows somewhere.

Should be fun.

#76714 - 07/23/03 07:25 AM Re: Permit's are out...
Camofish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA
Zippo! beathead

#76715 - 07/23/03 11:29 AM Re: Permit's are out...
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
I didn't draw a tag, but my wife drew an archery bull tag, again, in the bumping lake area. She is pretty excited. smile

#76716 - 07/23/03 10:35 PM Re: Permit's are out...
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
Dogfish,
How are you building points if you drew tags.I thought it started over once you get a draw.Is it because of AHE or are you just mistaken?Maybe I have some learnin to do.
Congrats on the draws!!

I had to log on at 4am Tues. to access the page.It popped right up.and I'm still building points.

Good luck on your draws folks.

#76717 - 07/24/03 02:12 AM Re: Permit's are out...
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Cupo, about three lines down from the search is ANOTHER search.

They made a mirror site because of all the complaints.

Curtis

#76718 - 07/24/03 03:19 AM Re: Permit's are out...
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

After several tries at the website I got my results. My dad and I got drawn for the Sauk unit late hunt. It's kind of sad that this hunt used to be open to everyone every year. After several years of no late season, it's open by permit only.
Hntnfsh, your points are accumulated per species. By drawing elk tags Dogfish has dropped his elk points to zero each year he's been drawn, but he is still accumulating points for other species that he has put applications in for (deer, moose, sheep).

#76719 - 07/24/03 11:59 PM Re: Permit's are out...
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Guess I was reading more into that post than was there.I knew that you only lose or gain points by species.
For some reason I thought he meant for his elk permits also.

#76720 - 07/25/03 02:19 PM Re: Permit's are out...
hobiecat Offline
Alevin

Loc: sumner,wa
i got my doe tag for the huckleberry unit, it nice that the tag is also good for the late hunt over there

#76721 - 07/25/03 07:07 PM Re: Permit's are out...
fishmaster Offline
Spawner

Loc: Rowers Seat
Is anybody else fed up with this points system BS! I've been putting in for permits now for 7 years and haven't been drawn yet. Don't get me wrong I'm not *****ing just because I haven't been drawn. There are 2 guys (parntner tags) in my hunting party the have been drawn 3 times for elk(once for margret and twice now for toutle) mad . Now isn't there something wrong with the system when that happens. The whole point of this system is to give the guy that haven't drawn a better chance. Well from what i have seen it's a bunch of horse sh!t. I'm glad that some one I know has gotten drawn but come on the systems Isn't working!!! beathead beathead

#76722 - 07/25/03 08:46 PM Re: Permit's are out...
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Fishmaster,
I totally agree!!! To make it worse one of the local sporting good stores has an employee that writes articles for the paper.Last year he was telling us about how well the people in the store did on their draws.The ratio was extremely high for what I would expect.Curious to see how it goes this year.
I have no idea why,but it did seem pretty off kilter to me.
Before the point system I put in every year for draws that were not that bad,of odds.Drew 1 cow tag in over 15 years.
Since then I have doing the points system from the beginning,with no draws.Maybe I just have extremely bad luck!!!!

#76723 - 07/26/03 04:46 AM Re: Permit's are out...
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

The point system is working. Yes, it is designed to give better odds to people who haven't been drawn but there is still luck involved. A lot of it may have to do with the popularity of the hunts you put in for.

#76724 - 07/27/03 02:49 AM Re: Permit's are out...
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I calculate the ratio of applications to tags for the previous year on certain tags, like Moose, Bighorn and Goat. This makes it a higher percentage ordeal.

For deer, it is an all or nothing deal for me, with just one selection. If I don't draw that particular hunt, I'd rather save my points than pick a lesser hunt. Took me 5 years to draw my last hunt, but the 4X with eyeguards was worth it.

For elk, I upped my odds by completing the AHE Master hunter program. 5 cow tags in 6 years, and I have filled every one, except for the one I drew for this coming season. The state sets the rules, I suggest you play the game. Last year there were a few AHE cow tags that were not issued because they were not applied for. I have never shot a bull, and while it would be nice to have a neat set of horns, you can't eat them. I hunt for meat.

Deer and Moose points are squared. Elk, sheep, and goat are point for point. If you have 5 points for deer or moose, you actually have 25 tickets going into the pool, whereas for goat, sheep, and elk, you would just have five tickets in the pool.

Take a look at the hunts you are applying for. If the ratio of applications to tags is 20:1 or higher for deer, you are trying for a trophy area or an area with a lot of doe tags, and you should not expect to draw a tag every year, or even every three years. Try to find areas where the ratio is under 10:1, and that have sufficient habitat.

One thing I have also done is switch to muzzle loader for deer. There are a number of units I hunt that are any deer in the late season. Again, I hunt for meat primarily, so I have no issue dropping a doe. There is a reason does are open in a particular area. You also get well over a month to hunt and there is much less competition and pressure in the woods.

14 deer in 14 years. 5 elk in 8 years. Use the odds to your advantage. (Sorry for the ratio stuff, but I work with numbers all day. I'm a bit of a geek.) wink

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1075 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645398 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |