Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#766923 - 06/19/12 04:22 PM -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- *****
steelhead_stalkers Offline
Returning Adult

Just finished up a CF full wells grip for a new 7 wt fly rod build. These carbon fiber grips are perfect for fly rods as they are very rigid. The reason eva foam is not good for fly grips is because they are to soft and make for not very accurate casting. High quality cork is very good for fly grips because of how dense it is. The composite carbon fiber is even more dense than the most expensive cork. Another cool thing we noticed this winter is how warm the grips are. Once you hold the grip for a few minutes they absorb heat from your hands and you can put the grip up to your face and its warm! They get tacky when wet and can never be dinged or scratched. They are extremely sensitive and transmit vibrations from the blank much better than cork. Cork actually absorbs vibrations from the blank! With this grip you have a graphite blank going right into a graphite grip so the maximum amount of vibration from the blank is transmitted into your hand. They are also around 15-20% lighter than high quality cork depending on who makes the grip. wink

They are far from traditional but for those who want the most performance out of their rod you should try one out. cool If any of you guys ever come down to Orygun and would like to test cast one I can arrange it. laugh Should have a 5 wt and 7 wt done in about a month to play with.

Edited by steelhead_stalkers (06/19/12 04:23 PM)

#766951 - 06/19/12 05:59 PM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: steelhead_stalkers]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
That's great! Carbon fiber is amazing stuff. It really looks good too.

#766994 - 06/19/12 07:35 PM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: gooybob]
What Offline
Spawner

First the Storm Troopers were forced to give their's up for gear rods, now appears Darth Vader is also wandering the galaxy, dickkless.

#767003 - 06/19/12 07:51 PM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: What]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: What
... now appears Darth Vader is also wandering the galaxy, dickkless.

Very nice.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#767144 - 06/20/12 07:56 AM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: Todd]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
This idea is interesting. I'm wondering if grips are available for other than fly rods??

#767185 - 06/20/12 12:21 PM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: ParaLeaks]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Is each one custom made to fit a specific rod blank? Are they made with a standard arbor diameter and then reamed out for different rod blanks? Or?

How is that aspect of manufacture and fitting addressed?

Sg

#767332 - 06/21/12 12:21 AM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: ]
Returning Adult

They can be made custom for any rod. They are reamed and shaped to fit each individual rod blank. We normal just build them for our personal rods and customers rods that ask for them. Probably all I would need to make one for someone else would be the OD of the front and rear of where the grips would sit on the blank. Here are some examples of other types of rods with these grips.

A 10-30 lb, 10'6" salmon float/mooching rod with a full carbon composite grip and a 10-30 lb, 8" back bouncer with a split carbon grip. Nice thing about the full grip is that it will never get messed up from rod holders.

A side drifting steelhead rod with split carbon grips.

A steelhead plug rod.

These are very different from regular carbon tubes you see on many production rods. Those use a rubber fitting to match up the blank with the tube. Problem here is that the rubber absorbs a lot of the vibrations from the blank and the carbon tube is only making contact to the blank in two spots the front and rear.

The grips above are a solid, rigid composite material that is in contact with the blank throughout the grip.

Edited by steelhead_stalkers (06/21/12 12:25 AM)

#767336 - 06/21/12 12:32 AM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: steelhead_stalkers]
Jermz Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Everott
Looking good. That's what I'm planning on doing when I finially get around to building up my blanks.

Thanks for sharing.

#767339 - 06/21/12 12:37 AM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: steelhead_stalkers]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Do I dare ask what those cost?

- Albert Einstein.

#767343 - 06/21/12 12:58 AM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: Sol Duc]
Returning Adult

Have not tried selling them to anyone. laugh To busy making them for myself, friends and those who have me build rods for them. We up charge $30 on custom rods for them from traditional cork grips. So they would probably be around $50 depending on grip size and length.

#767347 - 06/21/12 02:50 AM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: steelhead_stalkers]
Iwant2fish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Whatcom County
Can these appied to existing rods or only during the build stage?

#767368 - 06/21/12 12:05 PM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: Iwant2fish]
What Offline
Spawner

Is this your brainchild or Jon's at NFC? If you're actually making them "one off", you should be commended for your efforts.

I find it more than ironic though that the companies touting the benefits of these grips, are the same that already have the tooling, ability and neccessary "in house" materials to manufacture them, cheaply.

I wonder when purchasing a new vehicle how many consumers would opt for "upgraded", plastic/metal combination tires (from the vehicle manufacturer), as opposed to traditional rubber type?

Star Wars oar shafts and foam filled floats would be cool...really.

#767384 - 06/21/12 01:35 PM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: What]
Returning Adult

These are different than what nfc is using. We build exclusively on nfc blanks and they make amazing blanks! I believe they are actually making their new grips the same way they build their blanks. I think they are using mandrels but I'm not sure. We are using a different technique. It will not be used in mass production because of the time it takes to make them. I cannot take credit for the idea of these grips but the way we build them and figuring out a way to make it efficiant is the difficult part. Also making the grips look perfect takes a lot of practice. Some builders make them on the east coast but they are rare.

#767614 - 06/22/12 10:54 AM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: steelhead_stalkers]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Those are pretty sweet. I'm sure you've done your research on these enough to know that one of yours, custom fit to blank OD, seems to cost about as much as the hollow tubing setups most people are familiar with. I've been building on the hollow tubing lately, and I like how light and crisp they are. They slide onto reamed graphite arbors which don't dampen vibration. As billed, yours look like solid graphite fiber, but that sounds heavy. How heavy is one of your grips like that, compared to non-burl conventional cork? I love how they look. Nice innovation,

Brian

#767685 - 06/22/12 02:29 PM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: fishbadger]
Daniel Offline
Smolt

Those grips are a composite foam covered with carbon fiber sleaving. I believe they are somewhere in the range of 10-30% lighter than nb conventional cork.

#767705 - 06/22/12 03:15 PM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: fishbadger]
Returning Adult

The only carbon tubes systems I have seen are the ones that use EVA foam to mate the front and rear. A graphite arbor like you are using would definitely work better.

These grips are made from a rigid, dense material that you can shape like cork. Once the grip is shaped graphite is wrapped around it and epoxy bonds it to the grip. On average they weight about 10% less than high quality cork but I am all about light weight so I have been pushing the limit. I can get them lighter but then you are messing with the balance of the rod. All of the new North Fork Composites HM blanks are so light that you can use a split carbon fiber grip and get the balance point about an inch in front of the reel seat which is pretty amazing. My 10'0" NFC HM blank has a split carbon grip and balances an inch and a half in front of the reel seat and that is with my stradic ci4 reel. With a regular spinning reel the balance point is an inch or less.

I use a full grip on some rods that are going to be in the rod holder a lot.

#767902 - 06/23/12 12:11 AM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: steelhead_stalkers]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
uh huh.....sweet

Nice last pic as well.

#767940 - 06/23/12 12:39 PM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: ParaLeaks]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
S-Stalkers and Daniel,

You guys are doing some killer work. I'd be interested in a consult some day,

fb

#767948 - 06/23/12 01:23 PM Re: -Composite Carbon Fiber Full Wells Fly Grip- [Re: fishbadger]
Returning Adult

Any time! Thanks.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1090 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |