I got my elk yesterday (AHE East side).

What a fun hunt. I went with my 12 year old son Zach and we looked around Friday PM without seeing any fresh tracks. After dark, we changed plans and decided to head into an area we hadn't scouted this year.

We got up a little late, and I was "Speed hunting" my way to the draw I really wanted to be in. Speed huning is when I'm moving fast on the trail because I haven't seen (and don't expect to see) anything.

So, I was zooming down the trail as fast as I could when I noticed that my boy wasn't right beside me. I turned around and he was about 10-15 yards behind me. He was doing that thing where you try to point at something without moving. Pretty funny. You know, doing the mini (but exagerated) head nod to the side while pointing a finger from down low and trying not to move....

I went back to where he was standing and he hissed/whispered: "Dad, I swear I just saw an elk!"

Within less than a minute, we saw four elk moving slowly parallel to how we had been moving. Sometimes fortune smiles on you, and it did for us. There was a perfect overgrown skidder trail that headed off and would intersect the elk. We slipped about 200 yards up it and intersected the elk in thick brush.

I finally got a good open shot at 60 yards with my muzzleloader and put a nice, fat juicy cow in the freezer.

My boy was pumped. He's pretty aware that I spot a lot more game than he does, so the more I remind him that I'd have never seen these elk without him, the more his chest puffs out.

Skinned, quartered, and hanging in the cooler by 7:45.

thanks for letting me brag.

Fisherdan