Rate This Topic
#769072 - 06/28/12 10:14 AM Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Chew on it RWWJ's.

#769074 - 06/28/12 10:28 AM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: ]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

The new trend in business was to pass the cost onto "we the people". Like we pay for your coverage. Definitely a step in the right direction.

#769075 - 06/28/12 10:32 AM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: ]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
Let the fallout begin....Very little our govern can not force us to do now. Pretty sad day for our econ and country. Pretty happy day for the LWWJ's.

At least the court stopped short of allowing it to fall under the commerce clause again. Not that it really matters.

#769079 - 06/28/12 10:47 AM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: ]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
I don't agree. The trend has been to outsource more and more jobs to avoid increasing employee costs, including climbing medical costs. I think job creation just got one more nail in it's coffin and there's going to be a backlash now that many people aren't going to be happy with.

Look around. Most large corps are passing on more and more of the cost of healthcare onto the employee yet the CEO, etc is taking home more than ever before. Healthcare has become the new "cross the board pay cut" for all but the fat cats and unions who already have a contract. Of course all business loves the idea of providing zero healthcare and having the tax payer pick up the tab. I bet they'd love it if we picked up their federal income tax liability too....oh wait we already do that.

#769083 - 06/28/12 11:06 AM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: ]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

That's right. The people with the money to create jobs aren't going to suffer nearly the way the rest of us will. And KK thinks that's funny. Not only will they pass the costs onto employees, they will outsource more work. If we're spending more on healthcare, we'll have less to spend for anything else, further stalling the economy.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-27...rew-puzder.html

Trickle down economics again? Where did you get the idea that if we give Corps more money they will use it to our benefit? Right now they are sitting on more cash reserves than at any other time in history but where are the jobs? Instead they continue to cut and cut.

#769085 - 06/28/12 11:19 AM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: ]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

So what's different pre healthcare mandate versus post healthcare mandate? Nothing. Corp America will continue to do what they were already doing. Destroying the middle class.

#769087 - 06/28/12 11:32 AM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: stlhead]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
You are aiming solely at the large corporations. Small businesses, whose CEO's (owners of closley held corps and LLC's,) don't use private jets to vacation, they employ half of the private sector employees in the US. They provide 44% of the of the total US payroll and represent over 99% of all employer firms in the us. Yes, it is easy to rail against the big guys. You seem to entirely miss the little guys.

As someone who actually is an economist by training and education, and as someone who actually tears apart the financials of 175 small businesses on an annual basis, I can tell you, this is going to hurt.

I also purchased, for my bank, a number of fractional loan participations of $2 million each, in 10 large privately and publicly owned businesses, with revenues in the billions. All of their annual statements had discussions on what the effect will be on their bottom line from this health care reform. It is going to hurt.

Do I think pre existing conditions should be covered? Yes.
Do I think that this health care plan is as good as it could be? No. I think they went overboard on this legislation, and the majority of the population of the US also believes the same.

Really happy for you, if you consider this a win. It is going to slow down any recovery considerably.

Edited by Dogfish (06/28/12 11:44 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#769089 - 06/28/12 11:39 AM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: ]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Actually Insurance Co's will now be required to spend 80% of premiums on claims leaving 20% for admin costs and anything over will be refunded to the payers. You will see a huge decline in bankruptcies due to medical costs which was another added burden on the tax payer. There will be no more denials due to pre-existing conditions. In other words if you weren't on the tax payer dole any longer all of your meds, etc would be considered pre-existing and you'd pay much more. It's already been shown that the tax payer ends up covering no matter what. Yet those whom are treated without insurance the tax payer is billed at that rate you see on your bill prior to the "contracted rate". Seems to me less people will be made to suffer.

#769090 - 06/28/12 11:47 AM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: Dogfish]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Case in point....I am insured through one of the largest corps in the world and we used to have some of the best insurance as well. Now we have one of the worst as not only the majority of costs has been passed on to the employee but even the handling of claims which is a nightmare at times. My wife works for a local small firm and has the same insurance company. Most of her costs are paid via the company and she pays a co pay and that's it. We both saw the same Doc at the same clinic. My share of the cost almost $200. Her's $13.

Will having to pay for health care hurt small businesses? Sure unless they pass the cost on to the employee. But why do you expect the tax payer to pick up that tab?

#769091 - 06/28/12 11:48 AM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: ]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
A piss poor bill that we will now live with for the rest of our lives. Only chance to get rid of it now gone. Not surprising that the Stlhds of the world will cheer as they can only get as far as it being a win for their party.

Good thing for Reps and Dems that the country is so filled with sheep.

#769092 - 06/28/12 11:50 AM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: stlhead]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
You guys are confusing Constitutionality with policy...not a big surprise considering what all the money spent by the anti's have been saying on TV for the past year.

It's not the Court's job to like it or not...it's their job to decide if it is supported in the law, or not...which there really wasn't ever any question about. It was a total waste of time and money to spend so much arguing about it over the past few years.

I also think that the money will dry up that has been flowing like water to tell the masses that it's such an unconstitutional and illegal mess...and the people might be getting a more balanced picture of it now.

This should give the Romney campaign a bit of a boost, though, since Romney will actually be able to take an actual position on something now, something he hasn't done over the past year. Of course he'll get burned by having pushed thru his own version of almost the same law in Massachusetts.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#769093 - 06/28/12 11:52 AM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: stlhead]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
I think the results are often counter-intuitive, so I'll suggest:

* This HURTS Obama, because it's easier to be against things than for them. This gives Romney and RWWJ's something to rally around, and less for Team Obama. Never mind the Romneycare stuff, I think this issue is a net plus for the GOP

* The Affordable Care Act will likely make the average American life slightly BETTER, but will also make people LESS HAPPY. It's like people being super gloomy about how violent society and the world of today is, when in comparison to all of recorded history it's about the most peaceful/prosperous time to be alive.

#769096 - 06/28/12 11:55 AM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: docspud]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Everyone needs medical care and, whether you have insurance or not, the law say's you must be treated. So somebody pays. Some seem to feel that taxpayers picking up the tab is just another perk for businesses that can't or won't provide for their employees.

#769097 - 06/28/12 11:57 AM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: IrishRogue]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I work for a multi-billion dollar corporation, and I'm willing to bet that the overall impact of this decision on our daily operations will amount to a hill of beans.

It will be like the Family Leave Act - something that was promised to bring businesses to their knees - but didn't.

JMHO

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#769099 - 06/28/12 11:58 AM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: ]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: stlhead
Case in point....I am insured through one of the largest corps in the world and we used to have some of the best insurance as well. Now we have one of the worst as not only the majority of costs has been passed on to the employee but even the handling of claims which is a nightmare at times. My wife works for a local small firm and has the same insurance company. Most of her costs are paid via the company and she pays a co pay and that's it. We both saw the same Doc at the same clinic. My share of the cost almost $200. Her's $13.

Will having to pay for health care hurt small businesses? Sure unless they pass the cost on to the employee. But why do you expect the tax payer to pick up that tab?

The provisions for lower income people to be covered that can't afford healthcare coverage has to be paid for by someone. Who do you think that someone is? It won't be the employer. Not only will more of your own costs be paid by you, you'll be paying for others coverage as well. A double whammy of unintended consequences.

I already pay for low income people who can't afford insurance and so does anyone who pays taxes. At least now it will be at a contracted rate.

#769108 - 06/28/12 12:21 PM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: stlhead]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Since the Republicans are agin' it, and Obama is for it, and the SCOTUS upheld it, this is a big win for the Republicans to rally around for the rest of the campaign season. Had the Republicans really cared about this issue, and they did agree that the status quo is broken, they would have tried to improve this legislation, instead of sandbagging and doing everything politically possible to make it the 2700 page POS that it is, and the SCOTUS upheld. Since partisanship is a far higher priority than the welfare of the nation, any improvements to the ACA will come slowly and painfully. But at least we're told this legislation will further delay improvement in the national economy - another big win for the Republicans, since the worse things are under Obama, the better the Republicans like it.

#769109 - 06/28/12 12:25 PM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: Salmo g.]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Romney is on the tube now "Obamacare this...Obamacare that...blah, blah blah". "I was for it before I was against it".

#769110 - 06/28/12 12:34 PM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: Salmo g.]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
This decision was an affirmation of the premise in the Declaration of Independence that all of us have inalienable rights to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. The purpose of Government is to guarantee and protect said rights. Everyone knows that without your health, you don't have squat...and if you do, it'll be loose and poorly formed.

#769115 - 06/28/12 12:54 PM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: Salmo g.]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

The medicaid part of the decision is problematic. As one who favored single payer, well the BO care will not work as to how you pay for it as it falls way short of covering the real cost BUT the current system stinks as well. Bottom line now they will have to fix it AND IT WILL INVOLVE TAXES and lots of them. You don't pay the Doc with a chicken or pig anymore and many can not afford health care now. Time to move into this century but AM is right it needs to not be built into employers cost as businesses can not compete in foreign trade especially in manufacturing jobs as it is. ( which is what is killing the middle class ) We as a people need to step up and pay in a TAX whatever it cost to insure all citizens.

If nothing else today the court said you can not call a pig a cow as call what you like it is a pig ( tax ). Now prepare BO fans as you watch one sound bite add after another as he said time and time again it was not a tax on camera. Going to cost the D's the senate as it was breaking 50R to 48D with two independents before and this is going to light things up. The prez has bumping up and down but will take the electoral vote and has a strong possibility of losing the popular vote. He is around .01% a head this week but trailed .01% last this one should be a real interesting thing to watch track out.

Today's decision was not the end of the discussion but the beginning of all citizens being forced to come to grips with the cost of modern health care and it is going to be interesting to see what happens when the true cost of health care is seen and felt by all. It will not be a spectator sport.

#769125 - 06/28/12 01:47 PM Re: Healthcare upheld by SCOTUS [Re: Rivrguy]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

2012 election will be just like 2010.....slaughter fest. beer

- Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |