LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76934 - 10/01/03 03:40 PM Black Tail/Elk????
Tahoe Offline
Smolt

Loc: Seattle
OK - Can anyone help a desert goer gone WA forest out...

I have hunted Mulies and White Tail for years. Now I live in western WA. The forests are much thicker here than in Nevada that is for sure. So a completely new hunt for me...

I have not hunted Black Tail or Elk. This year I decided to buy tags after seein the critters at my fishing haunts on a regular basis... I've done some research and it seems this time of year Black Tail get very nocturnal and bed down most days and are in the thickest of woods. My question is what are the most productive ways to get at these animals (clear cuts?). Help me put some meat in the fridge!

Also Elk - I have never bugled before. Am I better off just trying to stock them at this point?

Anyone that knows the OP please speak up. I will email you the areas I plan to hunt because I do not want to draw attention to them... Any advise on these areas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

#76935 - 10/01/03 03:45 PM Re: Black Tail/Elk????
Tahoe Offline
Smolt

Loc: Seattle
Oh - I will be hunting Modern Fire Arm... That might have helped smile

#76936 - 10/01/03 08:06 PM Re: Black Tail/Elk????
ScottD Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Rochester, Washington
Hunt blacktails about the same as you would whitetails. Get out in the woods and try to find deer trails that are being well used and then try to find a spot that you can sit and wait for a buck to wander by.

Or you could try still hunting. Still hunting is where you move very slowly through the woods while being very alert to try to spot a deer (preferably before he spots you). While moving very slow and quiet you will stop often and use your binoculars to check the areas around you.

As for Elk.......bugling won't help you during rifle season. Elk are in the rut right now and by November they not respond to a bugle.

#76937 - 10/02/03 12:12 AM Re: Black Tail/Elk????
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Blacktail are an interesting animal to hunt, but once you figure out their patterns, just like whitetail, they are easier to hunt.

Pick out areas where there is mature forest next to relatively new clearcut, 2 years to five years old. These animals live on the fringe. In the mornings they will be out in the cuts, and you can flush them from the thick timber during the day with drives and still hunting.

Blacktail hunting in Washington results in fewer trophies, but you still have a chance to come across a nice buck. A 3-point (three on each side) here is a really good deer, more than that and you have a trophy. That said, I usually take the first legal deer I see.

One final thing, the first and last hours of the day are the best for movement, and of the 14 deer I have taken, 10 were in these magic hours.

Have fun learning!

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Salmo g., 1 invisible), 1070 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645299 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |