LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76988 - 10/07/03 11:08 PM Lots of deer out there!
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I have been hunting a few areas close to home this week with my ML.

Had a nice shot on a 2-point at 35 yards, aimed for what I thought was the hair of his chest, pulled the trigger, only to see wood fly and the deer trot off while I reloaded. After getting another charge down, I went to where I had hit, only to find that there was an 8 inch thick log, "deer hair" brown in color, with a .54 cal hole in the front and chunk missing off of the side.

I checked for signs of blood in the direction of where the deer went, following in his footsteps. No blood for over 100 yards, then I see him stotting away, very strong, about 75 yards away, and he just kept on going into the heavy timber.

My first miss at a deer in 15 years. Go figure.

Anyway, since Sunday I saw 5 deer last night, and 7 tonight, hunting in the units between work and home. I have skipped lunch to get out a bit earlier, and I have had no issue finding deer. That "magic hour" really is true.

I saw one fawn tonight from about 40 yards, actually just his eye and an ear. I walked at an angle, not looking at him, towards him, but not directly to him. I got about 5 yards away, with a small hemlock between us. Too close for him. He jumped up, and then the deer just came out of the woodwork. Three does and 4 fawns bounded away, all from an area within 20 yards of this little guy I saw. What fun!

You won't get me back to Seattle to live ever. What a hole. I wonder how many folks get off work there, and can hunt or fish on the way home. Last year I shot an elk on my way home, two years before a deer. Sorry you all live there, just don't move here. wink

Looks like I'll have no issue getting a deer in the late hunt when it is "any deer".

Good luck to you all, hope you get one down.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#76989 - 10/07/03 11:57 PM Re: Lots of deer out there!
Anonymous
Unregistered

you ever hunt up the wynoochee valley or the capital peak area ?, i hit them area`s every year and have taken a few deer and also up behind that ford dealership.

#76990 - 10/08/03 12:28 AM Re: Lots of deer out there!
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Wynoochee isn't open for me now, but Capitol Peak, Minot, and Lincoln are. I have hunted them all this year. I have seen a few deer in the Wynoochee area this year, but no bucks.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#76991 - 10/08/03 12:25 PM Re: Lots of deer out there!
DeKuma Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Covington, WA
Any Mechanical Engineering jobs out your way Andy??

Out here in Maple Valley/Covington, I used to be able to hunt on my way home all the time. Have taken 3 bears, and elk and a deer this way, but now it is so over built, I am lucky if I can get to good hunting within an hour!

#76992 - 10/08/03 12:31 PM Re: Lots of deer out there!
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Send us your address so we can move into the neighborhood!

I live smack in the middle of West Seattle and you are right....very limited hunting opportunities although I saw a deer along I5 (West side of Beacon Hill) not 2 minutes from downtown last fall.

During the summer months we have a few good fishing opportunities out in the Bay. I nailed several nice kings in the wee hours of the morning last summer and still managed to put in a full day in at the office.

#76993 - 10/08/03 05:37 PM Re: Lots of deer out there!
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Ahhhh yes.......it is good to be on the coast! I muzzleload blacktails too. You are correct in that there is no shortage of deer this year. One of my indicators is roadkill. Gruesome, yes. But it is a loose indicator of population trends........more roadkill, more animals present.

As to the question about the wynoochee unit, I've seen ample numbers this summer/fall while steelhead fishing up there but as Dogfish pointed out, it's not an option for muzzleloaders (I wish it was) No matter though, there are plenty of units nearby that will fill the need.

I do like the fact that WDFW gave us a few more unit options on our season this year. I'll get serious during the late season.......perfect time; end of salmon fishing, winter steelhead isn't in full swing yet. It's a great window of opportunity without losing quality fishing time.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |