Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77013 - 10/14/03 08:14 PM Archery Elk
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
I've been scouting this herd for the last 6 months or so, been out checking for them once every couple weeks, and I'm thinking I might go try for a shot at them with my bow... Theres one bull in particular of course laugh

Now what I'm wondering is... How big is an elks heart? I've never archery hunted, never even hunted for elk. Just right behind the shoulder like a deer?

Will a 50 lb bow work? What kind of arrows/broadheads are you guys particular to?

Thanks for any info!

I'm looking around at other sites and they are pointing me in the general direction, but not quite the info needed....

Thank ya much!
Curtis

#77014 - 10/14/03 08:25 PM Re: Archery Elk
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
Shot placement is the biggest key. Optimally, hold out for a broadside shot and double-lung him.
Personnally, I will only shoot four-blade broadheads (I lost an elk with a two-bladed broadhead that was a perfect broadside hit).
Also, if your bow will allow you to turn up the poundage above 50 , and you can still shoot it O.K. , do it.
Above all practice judging the distances. If you are wrong by only a little the result is a bad hit or a miss.
Generally, a heavier arrow will penetrate better, but if you get the broadside shot you should be fine, just get those four blades cutting through BOTH lungs, or you will be tracking a very long time.

#77015 - 10/14/03 10:25 PM Re: Archery Elk
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
So a heart shot wont do? I think I may use my compound instead of my recurve for elk then... untill I can get a bigger recurve of course.

thanks for the info!

Curtis

#77016 - 10/18/03 01:24 AM Re: Archery Elk
bowhunter Offline
Smolt

Loc: Newcastle wash
Shot placement is everything, dont shoot too close in on the shoulder, aim mid pump house and shoot the lower 2/3 of the rib cage (pump house).... they bleed alot better lower than higher...unfortunately I found out the hard way on a bull in the early season.

#77017 - 10/22/03 06:31 PM Re: Archery Elk
griz59 Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: federal way
less poundage is more forgiving than higher poundages. make sure your broadhead is sharp.my personal pref is a three blade 125 thunderhead. shoot about midship behind the shoulders. wackem and stackem.

#77018 - 10/27/03 05:15 PM Re: Archery Elk
w. coyote Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett Wa.
Try a 125gr steel force. Awsome broad head and they will resharpen them for you. Most important thing to remember is shoot as close as possible and if you don't feel 100% confident with your shot don't take it. A heart shot will work.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |