Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77405 - 01/11/04 10:35 PM Mossberg 500-Turkey gun
brassonbrass Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Poulsbo
Okay, so I went out and got it. A Mossberg 500, synthetic stock in camo for turkeys. Now I need to get a choke, right? What do you guys recommend? Also, what size shot do you use and do you use lead or steel? I would presume lead?? Also, at what range do you sight in your pattern, 30, 35, or 40 yards? How big do you want your pattern at the target? About the size of a softball?? Do you aim at the head or the neck? Thanks. I can't wait to try this. It's gonna be FUN. Brass

#77406 - 01/11/04 10:57 PM Re: Mossberg 500-Turkey gun
crawdadhunter Offline
Fry

Loc: Winlock,WA
Brassonbrass It looks like maybe you sold all the stuff you had listed and bought a new gun. Just checking to see if Plano Box was gone. thanks

#77407 - 01/11/04 11:21 PM Re: Mossberg 500-Turkey gun
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
Lead shot for sure,maybe even try a box of Hevi-shot. The beauty of HS is that it's denser than lead. You can actually use a shot size 2-3 sizes smaller than lead,still have great energy,and have a denser pattern as well. Turkey chokes are usually more than full. If your gun came with a full choke start there.it may pattern well enough for turkeys.If not,look for an extra full or super full. Shots are normally taken at the head and neck area.IIRC 6-8 hits it that area are needed for a clean kill.

I almost forgot. Hevi-shot is like steel in that its very hard. With HS you tend to get tighter patterns than the choke suggests. In my Benneli,I shoot #4 HS for geese,and use a modified choke. In my gun the modified choke acts like a full.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#77408 - 01/11/04 11:48 PM Re: Mossberg 500-Turkey gun
Aix sponsa Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard
http://www.mossberg.com/index.html

Call them they have the turky choke for your gun I believe it is $44.00 it's what I use but in the 835 go for the head and practice at 20 =45 yards with it and you'll do ok. beer happy shooting Aix

#77409 - 01/12/04 09:34 AM Re: Mossberg 500-Turkey gun
KingFisher85 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Amboy Wa
If you do get an xfull or a Turkey choke, read the box of the choke tube to see what kinda shot you can shoot thu your it. Lot of them real tight chokes are lead shot only.

I have all the choke tubes from turkey to skeet...If I was to use one for turkey...well the turkey choke it be! laugh
How to fix a gun-- Take it apart--Put it back together--Hide extra parts~~~

#77410 - 01/12/04 09:21 PM Re: Mossberg 500-Turkey gun
Aix sponsa Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard
Mossberg makes a xfull that shoots steel
good point check them all out and get the steel shot tub you can use it for water fowl then the x full lead only will extend from the end of the beral Aix

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |