Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77648 - 05/28/04 07:30 PM WA blackpowder rifles
Lofty Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: University Place
hey blackpowder sportsmen, i need some clarification on what rifles are ok to use in WA.
Is for instance the inline T/C Black Diamond rifle that Dogfish was telling me about legal? I assume it is since he's a blackpowder veteran, and wouldn't be steering newbies i the wrong direction. But i guess my curiousity is getting the best of me and I would like to find out what rifles are legal and which types are not in WA for blackpowder hunting rifles.
I always thought you had to have a traditional 'HAWKEN' type rifle w/ percussion or flint to spark the powder? guess i assumed wrong.
Help!

#77649 - 05/28/04 11:40 PM Re: WA blackpowder rifles
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Flint locks, wheel locks, match locks, scent bottle locks (like you'll ever see one out there) percussion caps (both #11 and musket) are all legal during ML season with a ML tag.

You may not use a scope during this season, and only one barrel of a double barreled rifle may be charged.

In lines are just fine, as long as they have the cap exposed to the elements. Most T/C rifles fit this criteria, except for the Encore series of rifle barrels, as I believe they are designed to be used with 209 primers only. Some Knights do not comply, along with a number of other rifles. The Remington 700 ML fits the bill. The Savage ML using true smokeless powder, not a BP substitute is questionable, but I have only read about it, and have not held one.

209 primers are allowed when hunting during modern seasons with a modern tag, and scopes are allowed at this time, as well.

Any other questions, I'd be happy to answer. My goal is to keep you legal, and help you avoid the mistakes I made with crap purchases. I would never suggest something that would get you in trouble.

Take care,

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#77650 - 05/28/04 11:46 PM Re: WA blackpowder rifles
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
What Dogfish said. He knows his stuff.Fibre optic sights are ok.

#77651 - 05/29/04 08:45 PM Re: WA blackpowder rifles
Fisherdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn, Wa, USA
Yup, Dogfish laid it out exactly right.

My advice is get something that will take musket caps. They burn much hotter than other legal options (a good thing in the wet).

That Black Diamond from BassPro IS LEGAL IN Wa as long as you use perecussion caps or musket caps (for sure -but check the regs for yourself). And, it's as good as you'll get (just my opinion).

Fisherdan

#77652 - 05/29/04 08:52 PM Re: WA blackpowder rifles
Fisherdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn, Wa, USA
P.S. In addition to everything Dogfish laid out, you CAN NOT use smokeless propellants during a muzzleloader hunt.

You can read the equipment restrictions on page 15 of the 2004 regs. Here you'll read that sobots and in-lines are legal (wih some resrictions).

Happy hunting.

Fisherdan

#77653 - 06/02/04 11:53 AM Re: WA blackpowder rifles
Lofty Offline
Returning Adult

thanks for the great information. I appreciate your feedback and time.
I shot my father's kit .45 blackpowder rifle last night. It is not the most accurate, but did manage to hit a few cans @ 50 yeards Is there a powder measuring tool available
that consistently dispenses black powder?
The amount of blackpowder I tried last night was inconsistent.

#77654 - 06/02/04 05:13 PM Re: WA blackpowder rifles
Hairy Ape Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Rochester, Washington
One thing I have noticed over the years is that many local stores sell muzzleloader bullets that have a copper jacket. These are not legal to hunt with during muzzleloader seasons so I am not sure why the stores are selling them. I am guessing that many people who don't read the regs probably do buy the jacketed bullets and use them while hunting.

#77655 - 06/25/04 07:24 PM Re: WA blackpowder rifles
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
Your best bet to find out anwsers is to read the regs backwards, forwards, sideways, and upside down. I did that last year and still had questions. I went to a local shop and asked questions. They set me up real good. As for inline rifles during ML season, the cap must be exposed to the elements as everyone said. No scopes, jacketed bullets, sights must be open or contain no glass. Sabots are legal as long as the bullet meets the animal size restrictions and is not jacketed. After speaking with everyone, I went the easy route. 50cal Traditions in line, musket nipple, 2 Pyrodex 50gr pellets, topped with a Powerbelt 295gr or 345gr solid lead bullet. I even shot my first ML deer with it, first year out. A BOE. Which is my name for a doe with antlers. Mine had just dropped hers, but the bases were still attached and healing. I will have to find the pictures and post them. I dropped her at about 90yds, right in her bed. I recovered the slug in her and was amazed how much it expanded. I also did not have much bloodshot meat. I lost maybe a pound. This year I will hopefully get my elk.

#77656 - 06/30/04 02:52 PM Re: WA blackpowder rifles
Lofty Offline
Returning Adult

Big Jim:
speaking of the Sabot question , what does
"jacketed" refer to? In regards to a .50 cal, what can I use Sabot wise? I was thinking of using a cylindrical lead bullet on top of a remington power wad.

#77657 - 07/01/04 12:44 AM Re: WA blackpowder rifles
HntnFsh Offline
Spawner

Loc: Toledo Wa
Jacketed is a coating other than lead.A copper jacketed bullet would be illegal.The bullet you mentioned should be legal as long as it meets the weight requirements.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1407 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |