Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#776699 - 08/03/12 03:00 PM Re: nasty rash from the ODB [Re: eugene1]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Originally Posted By: eugene1
Yeah, poison oak makes sense. I am really allergic to it, but I never went anywhere near it, we only went out on the boat and drank beers in camp... Didn't think it would be active in that ratty old bag, but it makes sense. glad I slept fully clothed but wish I would have gloved up first.

Thanks,

I have gotten it, and cleared it up with Technu (Made in Albany OR!) but then I REALLY got it while fishing the Deschutes with driftfishnw. My arms looked like a stuck them in a deep fryer. Nastiest thing I have ever experienced. Dr said it was either an extreemly potent batch of PO, or my allergy had grown more sensitive. Prescribed me Predisone and oh my God did it clear it up fast. I'm not even going to hesitate if I get it again... straight to the Dr. for Predisone.

You may want to look into it.

#776702 - 08/03/12 03:06 PM Re: nasty rash from the ODB [Re: Twitch]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
You can become sensitized to poison oak. You can also get a nasty case if someone is burning brush that has poison oak in it and you get the smoke on you.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#776703 - 08/03/12 03:12 PM Re: nasty rash from the ODB [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Was there a pooch around camp? Easiest way by far to get poison ivy or poison oak, especially on your hands, is with a dog around...they run in the bushes and get the oil on them, typically around their heads, and you pet them...and a bit later your hand looks like yours in the pic.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#776737 - 08/03/12 07:44 PM Re: nasty rash from the ODB [Re: Todd]
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
"Retribution from an Indian giver"

As one of the half breed Indians on this board, don't drag me into this. Well, half of me....

#776742 - 08/03/12 07:57 PM Re: nasty rash from the ODB [Re: 1975]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Cooties,
Not lethal unless you die.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#776755 - 08/03/12 08:26 PM Re: nasty rash from the ODB [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

laugh

- Albert Einstein.

#776780 - 08/04/12 12:20 AM Re: nasty rash from the ODB [Re: NickD90]
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Originally Posted By: NickD90
Ring worm or Poison Oak. Trust me when I tell you that whatever you do, DO NOT pull yer' pud while in this condition. THAT will NOT end well.

Did you burn the bag?

Personally, I'd tuck that bag aside for when a good fishing buddy needs to borrow one. Being a good friend like that is what makes the world go round...:)

Seriously though, if it's poison oak, soak & lighly scrub your hand in straight gas for a few minutes each day. It breaks the oils down better than anything else (an old Mid West Poison Oak and Ivy trick). You'll smell like gas, but your heal time will be half that of anything else - even prescribed ointments, creams etc...

Good luck,

DO NOT SMOKE WHILE USING THIS CURE!

#776781 - 08/04/12 12:32 AM Re: nasty rash from the ODB [Re: Sol Duc]
eugene1 Offline
Spawner

Loc: out there...
Thanks for the insight guys. Yesterday I didn't know wtf it was, but now it is definently not cooties, smallpox or the herp, just poison oak.

I got it three weeks ago while hiking in CA, and it is the same $hit again. Not sure where it came from, didn't use any of the same gear last weekend as I did in CA.

Also, Todd no dogs around camp, but that is killer advice that I will put to use, makes sense they're gonna get into those bushes and transmit it.

I'm still thinking it was the ratty sleeping bag for now. It's good we had the nastiest smelling site in Umpqua lighthouse state park since it was very convenient for me to toss that f'er into the dumpster across from us. Site smelled like rotting crab, fish guts, and whatever the Yurter's where having for dinner whenever the wind blew to us which was always.

Rash is running it's course...

Hard to go out in public and deal with people at this stage, they think I have some transmittable strain of leprosy and only take my cash reluctantly.

#776782 - 08/04/12 12:36 AM Re: nasty rash from the ODB [Re: eugene1]
redhook
Unregistered

regardless of where it showed up, why not be smart about it and go see a doctor to make sure its PO and not something way worse... regardless of what it looks like... its not normal...

#776784 - 08/04/12 01:21 AM Re: nasty rash from the ODB [Re: ]
1975 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Lake Stevens WA
Smartest thing I have heard redhook say is go see the doc. Looks like cooties though.

Edited by 1975 (08/04/12 01:31 AM)

#776793 - 08/04/12 02:23 AM Re: nasty rash from the ODB [Re: 1975]
Oregonian Offline
Three Time Spawner

City slickers...
Obviously poison oak. Plenty of good men go out and work in that stuff up to their neck...get covered with it, and simply go to work the next day. Don't scratch it any more than you must, wash entire body with dish soap asap, drinking alcohol and/or exposure to hot shower will light it up!

I know all to well how much a case of this stuff can bother a guy, but it really isn't anything worthy of crying about.

#776797 - 08/04/12 04:05 AM Re: nasty rash from the ODB [Re: eugene1]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

eugene,

Seems odd its not on the palms of your hands or your neck or face if the bag was contaminated.

Its not a rare situation, that allergic reactions come out of nowhere and have to be investigated to find the source. If they are hives, then it will get progressively worse as you repeat the contact with the food or chemical.

#776809 - 08/04/12 12:11 PM Re: nasty rash from the ODB [Re: eugene1]
Tillanook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oregon
Some bad medical advise being given here. Twitch however was spot on about the Tecnu, get a bottle at your local pharmacy and follow the directions. Or go to your Dr. and get on some prednisone.
Do not wash repeatedly with gasoline.
Do not wash with water so hot you can barely stand it.
Do not sleep in DOBs from Goodwill.

#776812 - 08/04/12 01:17 PM Re: nasty rash from the ODB [Re: eugene1]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

What about shingles?

- Albert Einstein.

#776822 - 08/04/12 04:54 PM Re: nasty rash from the ODB [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Another common weed/plant caused rash in the PNW is Cow Parsnip aka Hogweed, Pushki, etc.

It's VERY common in the PNW and causes a similar rash.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#777021 - 08/06/12 05:25 AM Re: nasty rash from the ODB [Re: eugene1]
QuestionableEthics Offline
Fry

messing around with ODB now is likely to give you herpes, aids and the zombie virus. way to go ass, you just caused 2012.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, DrifterWA), 1083 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |