Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#783715 - 09/07/12 12:14 AM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: ]
Tyler_C Offline
Parr

I agree, black works very well. The all black blue fox is effective. Even a black body works well.

#783721 - 09/07/12 12:30 AM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: Tyler_C]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

I've never had luck with the hootchies smile. I've had success with size 4 mepps aglia, size 4 rvrfshr (classy not hootchified), and vibrax.

#783723 - 09/07/12 12:39 AM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: Tyler_C]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Spinners for coho, a subject near and dear to my heart.

I don't know a lot about the Skagit, but I was there the other day for work (Mt. Vernon) and it reminded me quite a bit of my home water the lower Chehalis.

Here is FF02 with a #6 spinner, looks pink to me. I think that was before (or during) the first fall rains that year so the water was clear.

Oh yah a sharpie works wonders.

Another close up, I know this is a #6 french blade on some kind of cobbled together body.

You might notice some similarities to all the spinners in my pictures. IMO you will get about 100 % correct answers on this thread. Which is what makes the coho such a great sport fish!

I fish a certain way in only a few rivers, and big/flashy/bright is what works for me. I am never surprised when someone catches fish on some color or design I have never had luck on. Confidence goes a looooong way for silvers. I have never had trouble getting a #5 or #6 Vibrax where I want it, but have had lots of luck with the RVRFSHRS too. They definitely fish deeper easier, but it all comes down to what kind of water you are in.

#783725 - 09/07/12 12:47 AM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: fish4brains]
RogueFanatic Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap Co.
Gotta give my vote to Terminator spinners, gold (not brass) blade, nickel body, one pea-sized orange dot (nail polish) on the blade, no hoochie. Few coho can resist it, it sinks well, and the FB blade throws light like a champ. They don't seem to make them anymore and I picked up 50 or so in the discount bin at the Lacey Cabelas. Like Panther Martins, you want the ones with European blades, not the cheap Chinese blades.

#783727 - 09/07/12 12:50 AM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: Rocket Red]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Originally Posted By: Rocket Red

IMO you will get about 100 % correct answers on this thread. Which is what makes the coho such a great sport fish!

The Bitch spinner returns! Time honored classic.

I was glad the question was put forward as "what is your favorite" instead of "what is the best."

Fish what you have confidence in, they all work, some better than others, at least on that day in that spot.

When the water dirties up, #6's, aka the choppers, or the helicopters, fished a few feet off the bank in the slow to medium speed water can dominate.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#783736 - 09/07/12 01:23 AM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: ColeyG]
Tyler_C Offline
Parr

Everyone has their opinion, which is why i hate asking what is "best" lol because everyone has their "best" lure. I love to see what other fisherman use as their go-to lures. its really cool to see everyone mentioning a little bit different lure, and they all work. It proves that a lot of lures work for these fun fighting fish.

thanks for all the info you guys have provided so far! makes a great read for a beginner fisherman who wants to have some fun with these fish.

#783739 - 09/07/12 02:10 AM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: Tyler_C]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
i used to be a big blue fox fan, but haven't really bought any for coho fishing since gi joes went under and $1.99 blue foxes on sale every couple weeks went extinct. the $4 or $5 that those things cost now is hard to swallow when there's the possibility of losing a dozen of them in a hard day of fishing.

since then i've mostly just used homemade spinners, for silvers i just take an inch or so of hollow core 1/4" pencil lead and slide a small hoochy over it, (rather than using an expensive brass body), then add a bead and a #4 or 5 silver blade. works well, and costs less than a buck to make.

#783745 - 09/07/12 06:23 AM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: Chum Man]
05 Hunter Offline
Fry

Loc: East County
My fav. is the Bitch in a 5 or 6 with a hoochie, big and flashy thats what works. It's also easier to recover them from the wood pile too and yep it's normally the free ones that work best.

#783747 - 09/07/12 07:59 AM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: 05 Hunter]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
The following have been shown before, Size 6, beaded chain, etc., My fishing habits have changed but I could go back or JUST ADD SOME PRAWN OR SAND SHRIMP. Size 6, done with a slow retreive, can be a real Coho producer.....

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#783762 - 09/07/12 10:35 AM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: DrifterWA]
Tyler_C Offline
Parr

homemade spinners are the way to go now. very cheap and work

#783774 - 09/07/12 11:22 AM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: fish4brains]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have been very into making spinners this year. I have been collecting lots and lots of material in order to make my own. It is a tremendous amount of fun to play around with fishing stuff.

I will post some pictures of what I have come up with later tonight after I tinker with some more supplies of mine.

I have a couple of questions. I have been using the worm sinkers / egg sinkers for the bodies of my spinners. I haven't had much time to test them out on the water, but do you think I should switch to actual spinner bodies designed to be used for spinner making? I don't foresee a huge issue when it comes to hydrodynamics, but again, I haven't had time to test out my creations. Like I said, I will post some pictures later tonight.

Also, I am currently making up spinners with #4 blades because I got a lot of them a while ago, so I have a stock pile. But I am going to make up some with #5 blades now that I have been reading posts.

Thank you to whomever started this thread! It is so much fun seeing all of the ideas people come up with. Very creative people we fishermen are.

#783777 - 09/07/12 11:30 AM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: TanTastic84]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
i feel that the only drawback to using lead bodies is that they aren't going to be quite as flashy or noisy as a brass body. i try to make up for that with a larger blade and the squid body.

i don't use #4s often in places like the chehalis with murky water. #5 is a minimum, if not a #6.

#783781 - 09/07/12 11:47 AM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: TanTastic84]
Tyler_C Offline
Parr

Originally Posted By: TanTastic84
I have been very into making spinners this year. I have been collecting lots and lots of material in order to make my own. It is a tremendous amount of fun to play around with fishing stuff.

I will post some pictures of what I have come up with later tonight after I tinker with some more supplies of mine.

I have a couple of questions. I have been using the worm sinkers / egg sinkers for the bodies of my spinners. I haven't had much time to test them out on the water, but do you think I should switch to actual spinner bodies designed to be used for spinner making? I don't foresee a huge issue when it comes to hydrodynamics, but again, I haven't had time to test out my creations. Like I said, I will post some pictures later tonight.

Also, I am currently making up spinners with #4 blades because I got a lot of them a while ago, so I have a stock pile. But I am going to make up some with #5 blades now that I have been reading posts.

Thank you to whomever started this thread! It is so much fun seeing all of the ideas people come up with. Very creative people we fishermen are.

No problem TanTastic84. I as well love to see what people come up with. Its really cool to see all of these ideas work!

#783783 - 09/07/12 11:53 AM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: Tyler_C]
Winterun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tac/Puy
Anything with a #4.5 or #5 blade works for me!!!

Attachments
IMGP0572.JPG572.JPG

#783789 - 09/07/12 12:08 PM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: Tyler_C]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Here's how they work wink

They've even been known to attract the occasional winter run when fishing in November...but I can't find the pics of that for some reason.

Boot kings will knock the piss outta them, too wink

As with most things, if you have reasonably proper gear and lures, then if you know what you're doing you will catch fish with them.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#783803 - 09/07/12 12:57 PM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: steeliedrew]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Parker - Very impressive line-up! It's not possible to buy spinners like that anywhere. I build my own spinners too, but they don't turn out like yours.

Are the bodies Pen-Tac too? I have lots of Pen-Tac blades and bodies, but I have not tried powder paint on them. Maybe I should.....

Nicely done.

#783835 - 09/07/12 03:05 PM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: cohoangler]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
PenTac, RVRFSHR, MorTac, R&B, etc.

I get my parts through these guys. Great place to shop online!

http://www.barlowstackle.com/

I use whatever plain brass bodies I can find or from whomever has given me some to try out.

Set the oven to 300. Set a layer of foil on the bottom of the oven, as the coating will spill off the bodies as it melts.

Take a body and put it head up on a shaft and slightly bend the tip of the shaft so the body doesn't fall off.

Cook the bodies for 12 minutes.

Dip in your first coat of powder coat. Cook for 12 minutes. Bob likes to dip the first coat in white. I just stick with the same color.

Dip them again. Cook another 12 minutes.

Once you take them out of the oven, let them cool just enough so you don't ruin the coating, but work fast to get the shaft out of the body....as it will be coated solid. Takes some prying and spinning.

Use a very small drill bit to bore out the melted power coat in the butt section of the body.

PITA....and a labor of love, but my kids call it "Daddy Crafts". wink

All the credit for these spinners goes to Bob and Corey.

#783839 - 09/07/12 03:38 PM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: The Moderator]
Tyler_C Offline
Parr

Those are some big fish Todd!

#783842 - 09/07/12 03:44 PM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: Tyler_C]
Tyler_C Offline
Parr

Oh and i tried the Skagit today, no luck. The water is pretty milky. Not many fish showing themselves. We need a rain.

#783852 - 09/07/12 04:37 PM Re: Favorite Coho Spinner [Re: Tyler_C]
BossMan Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
"Favorite Spinner" is defintely the proper word choice. As you can see from the above responses you ask 50 coho fishermen what their favorite spinner is and you are likely get 50 different answers. But they all have one thing in common, they will all catch fish.

Coho are intersting in that they will at times hit anything and at times hit nothing.

But starting off with a big and flashy spinner with contrasting colors and a hootchie hanging off the back is a pretty good bet.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1070 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |