Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#786482 - 09/18/12 01:10 AM Westport Report- Epic two days -- Pic Heavy
Chromebrite Offline
Roddy McSlipperson

Loc: Kirkland, WA
Hit Westport last Thurs and Friday in search of Chrome Ho's...

Capt Bret Ferris is top shelf, and always finds large, robust fish. Goal was to do some R&D with the Wicked Lure Spinners. Founder of Wickeds, James Beasley was eager to test out some prototypes, and put them up against cut-plug herring.

We had 4 anglers fishing. One downrigger rod using straight Wicked Spinners with no flasher or dodger, and the other downrigger rod was using cut-plug herring -- straight off an Islander Reel.

The two rods on the aft end were on divers with one on Wicked, and the other cut plug herring.

Bret ran about 14 miles out, and found some of the most aggressive Coho I've ever seen, and it was game on...

Absolutely EPIC fishing, with non-stop action for two Solid Days...
Bottom line, Wickeds are the real deal, these Coho were crushing Wicked Spinners.... about 60% of our fish hooked were on Wickeds, and 40% on cut-plug herring... largest fish on trip was Bret's 17-lb Beauty on cut plug... here's some pics...

Bret with a Big'un on cut plug ...

Bret with another large Ho on the Wicked...

More Chrome on Wickeds...

James in a Zone...

Unbelievable trip!

Thanks Bret, for yet another awesome trip!!

#786484 - 09/18/12 01:19 AM Re: Westport Report- Epic two days -- Pic Heavy [Re: Chromebrite]
David Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Homer, Alaska
sounds wicked

#786487 - 09/18/12 01:28 AM Re: Westport Report- Epic two days -- Pic Heavy [Re: David]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

That's a winner! Excellent composition!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#786495 - 09/18/12 01:52 AM Re: Westport Report- Epic two days -- Pic Heavy [Re: eyeFISH]
Chromebrite Offline
Roddy McSlipperson

Thanks Doc, nice to see you again a few weeks back at B-10. Looking forward to some rain and those fish moving into GH...

#786654 - 09/18/12 05:27 PM Re: Westport Report- Epic two days -- Pic Heavy [Re: Chromebrite]
kalamageo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oly
Problem is, your trip proved nothing about the efficacy of your lure. A wide open coho bite isn't much of a test. They would have hit orange peels. Try them further up river when the fish arrive in the Harbor, then you have a better test. Glad you got to find out they will at least TAKE fish. How effective they are remains to be seen.
Great looking pics though. Awesome fish and the Westport sunrise pic is the best!! Congrats on a great trip.

#786663 - 09/18/12 05:47 PM Re: Westport Report- Epic two days -- Pic Heavy [Re: kalamageo]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
but how about banana peels? and any... bikini

#786719 - 09/18/12 08:01 PM Re: Westport Report- Epic two days -- Pic Heavy [Re: big moby]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Cool pics.Nice ho's come on rain.........Good luck,
SZ

#786895 - 09/19/12 01:09 AM Re: Westport Report- Epic two days -- Pic Heavy [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Maybe I'm mistaken but alot of the fish look like the same pics....it's been good out there..Hope you got your 16 in 2 days.

This time of year I like to fish herring heads in the salt...not too hard to catch ocean coho if you can get out....

#786907 - 09/19/12 01:56 AM Re: Westport Report- Epic two days -- Pic Heavy [Re: snit]
Chromebrite Offline
Roddy McSlipperson

Wasn't too particular when I chose the pics for the post, those Coho were all cookie cutter 14-16 lbs, with the 17-lb fish the largest.
-
Really enjoyed spinners in the salt, especially off a down rigger w/out any hardware... and super impressed with the take downs on the Wickeds.
-
Yeah, we had good ocean condts, so getting out wasn't an issue. It's finding the bait and the fish that can prove to be difficult. But that wasn't a problem for Capt Ferris. Lost track of how many tripples & doubles we had, yeah, we got our 16 smile

#786936 - 09/19/12 10:17 AM Re: Westport Report- Epic two days -- Pic Heavy [Re: Chromebrite]
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

What type of spinners, If you don't mind

#787005 - 09/19/12 02:03 PM Re: Westport Report- Epic two days -- Pic Heavy [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Looked thur the pic's, not a picture of the "hot spinners". I agree with some of the other comments.....when there are "Coho biters around" anything will work.

Yesterday in the Chehalis river, in a small area, I saw Coho caught on eggs, spinners, plug, and twitched jigs...Not tough to catch, just have to have biters,

Chromebrite.....Come to the Chehalis river...10/1 - 10/23...let's see how those "Wicked Lure Spinners" do.

Gill nets can take lot's of the "biters".......tough to get fish to bite IF the biters are hanging in Gillnets.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#787138 - 09/19/12 10:16 PM Re: Westport Report- Epic two days -- Pic Heavy [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Chromebrite Offline
Roddy McSlipperson

Met'lheadMatt, you can check 'em out at www.wickedlures.com

#787141 - 09/19/12 10:24 PM Re: Westport Report- Epic two days -- Pic Heavy [Re: DrifterWA]
Chromebrite Offline
Roddy McSlipperson

DrifterWA, as mentioned earlier in my opening comments, we were field testing some "prototypes" which are not currently in distribution channels. Thus, explaining why you only see hoochies and no blades in the pics.... James plans on introducing some new products to the market next year.

I fish the Halis, Hump, & Satsop, and have caught plenty of fish on Spinners in those tribs... this will be my first year throwing Wickeds, & I am predicting even better results with this product. James Beasley has field tested these on numerous Washington Coastal Rivers with tremendous success.
-
Looking forward to using them in Grays Harbor in the next couple weeks, then using them on rivers for fall fish.

#787164 - 09/19/12 11:14 PM Re: Westport Report- Epic two days -- Pic Heavy [Re: Chromebrite]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Chromebrite:

I've been known to fish those very same rivers......Have the luxury or being able to fish everyday.......plugs, spinners, eggs, spoons, and the latest fad, twitching jigs....keeps me busy trying to guess what is the "go to" item at any gven time.

I fish a 17' "River Wild", with a 130 Etech.....maybe we might be fishing, close....say "hi".....

Raised in Redmond......far back that there was no high school.....we all bussed to Lake WA High ........ wow, how time flys....

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#787169 - 09/19/12 11:29 PM Re: Westport Report- Epic two days -- Pic Heavy [Re: DrifterWA]
Chromebrite Offline
Roddy McSlipperson

DrifterWA, yes you indeed are very fortunate to be able to fish everyday, very cool, I certainly can't say that. And I will most certainly say Hello if I see you out there. I always enjoy your informed posts & perspective on this board.

Yeah, you are spot on, the area has changed. I grew up in Bothell, and now live in Juanita/Kirkland area not far from LW High... time sure does fly by... Tight Lines!

#787174 - 09/19/12 11:36 PM Re: Westport Report- Epic two days -- Pic Heavy [Re: DrifterWA]
jason m Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: pierce county, WA
Try out the spinners in the south sound, if you can get squaxin net pen coho to consistently bite them --- you'd have me sold!!
If you really want to test by fire that's the one that no lure has laid claims to yet.

Those are some dandy coho btw.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |