LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78939 - 03/29/06 11:37 AM Hunting with a Lab Mix?
Vic Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa, USA
I just adopted a puppy who's mother is pure lab and the dad is half lab half something else. Has anyone here has ever tried to train a lab mix to hunt? If so, how did it work out?

#78940 - 03/30/06 02:45 PM Re: Hunting with a Lab Mix?
salty Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Vic - a relative had a lab mix (I think there was some Rottweiler in there) that he duck hunted with for a long time. The dog was never the best at commands, but that was probably more due to a lack of proper training than genetics. He swam like a fish and generally retrieved well. Of course, I'm sure all that depends on what the mix is. But heck, you've already got the puppy, so why not give it a go?

#78941 - 03/30/06 09:05 PM Re: Hunting with a Lab Mix?
Vic Offline
Spawner

Thanks for the feedback.

I have only had him for 2 days now, and he already knows not to piddle on the carpet, he still doesn't do too well on smooth surfaces yet. He is learning sit and come very quickly too. He is a smart little guy it should be fun.

Vic

#78942 - 03/31/06 11:45 AM Re: Hunting with a Lab Mix?
SuckerSnagger Offline
Spawner

Loc: Richland,Washington
I had a Lab-Pointer cross back in the 80s who was a dog in a thousand. Best pheasant dog I've ever seen. Courage, drive, nose...old Blue had it all. Retrieved well too!

But...even among purebred Labs, there is a huge difference between field breeding and show breeding. The are like two different breeds, when it comes to hunt.

If you are already attached to the pup, give it a try. If you are serious about having a hunting retriever, give the pup to somebody who wants a pet and find yourself a pup with the strongest field breeding you can afford.

#78943 - 03/31/06 06:42 PM Re: Hunting with a Lab Mix?
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

You never know until you get the dog into birds. This year while in Pullman I discovered that my girlfriend's dog, which is an unidentifiable mutt, pointed birds. After a little training and work (a very little) I shot over 80 wild roosters over here this fall. Just goes to show that you never know.

#78944 - 04/01/06 11:25 AM Re: Hunting with a Lab Mix?
gsiegel Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Graham
I agree with above. Anything might be possible.
I have a lab mixed with ?
We actually found him as a pup on the way back from duck hunting 3 years ago. Turns out he is a great pheasant dog and even points. Retrieves really well on land, but has disappointed as a water dog. He has shorter hair than labs, and flat out does not go for jumping in freezing water.

My brother had a lab mixed with newfoundland that was the most fearless and unstopable retriever I've personally ever seen.

So who knows... I like dogs...I'd probably take the chance, myself.

"I fish, therefore someone else must tend the cooler!"

#78945 - 04/01/06 12:06 PM Re: Hunting with a Lab Mix?
SuckerSnagger Offline
Spawner

Vic, if you decide to go with the Lab mix pup, there are things you can do with the pup as a baby to "switch on" whatever genetic potential is there. ( I would do this with any pup, even one of best breeding!)

1. Try "spitting kibbles" as a daily game with the pup. ( Raise the pup a little on the hungry side. Don't overfeed and raise a fat pup.)

Starting when the pup is a baby, spit kibbles (always singles) on to the floor to the pup. The pup will quickly learn to look at your face, where the kibbles are coming from. (Training the pup to look at you is important for future training!)

As the pup matures, spit the kibble away from the pup so he has to mark it and hunt for it. (Keep it easy!)

When the pup is old enough, move outside, and gradually into cover, a little higher grass, flower beds, etc. (Ensure success. If the pup can't find a kibble, surrepticiously drop one or two so he always succeeds) Outside you might want to move to big kibbles for the game so you can get more air behind it and more distance.

Don't be in a hurry to stop the kibble game. You might want to continue for awhile even after you have moved to throwing a dummy for the pup.

2. From the time the pup is a baby, take it for age appropriate walks. Walk where there is age appropriate cover, little hills to waddle over, etc. (Challenge the pup just a little. Don't overdo it and discourage the pup!) As the pup grows up and you have taught it to come when called, call him in when he gets out beyond the range you want him to hunt.

Walking on city side walks won't accomplish what you want. You want to walk the pup where it can range out and hunt for smelly little critters and move through cover.

Any pup is a crap shoot. The odds are much better with good breeding, but it's still a crap shoot. Like wsu and gsiegel said, there is always a possibility you can end up with a great hunting dog from mixed breeding.

Good luck!

#78946 - 04/01/06 12:55 PM Re: Hunting with a Lab Mix?
SuckerSnagger Offline
Spawner

One more thing about walking the pup. "Field walking".

Don't take any company with you. No older dog. No human. Keep your attention on the pup! Don't rush the pup. Don't try to make the walk a conditioning exercise for yourself.

The pup should grow up with being in the field with you a normal part (the best part!) of life.

When he focuses on a critter, bug, bird, mouse, or whatever, pause and allow him time to work it out.

#78947 - 04/01/06 08:34 PM Re: Hunting with a Lab Mix?
SuckerSnagger Offline
Spawner

Damn! This pup talk is about to give me a bad case of pup fever. Got to watch myself. Can't let that happen. There is only one cure for a bad case!

#78948 - 04/03/06 11:25 AM Re: Hunting with a Lab Mix?
Vic Offline
Spawner

Thanks for all the feed back. I have become pretty attached to this little guy. We are having all kinds of fun together. I can't wait to see how he turns out.

#78949 - 04/13/06 06:10 PM Re: Hunting with a Lab Mix?
Icy Straits Offline
Alevin

Loc: Poulsbo, WA
Dosen't hurt to see if he is birdy, if you have a wing from a quail or duck tie it on the end of an old fishing rod and see if he will chase it, can't teach birdy

#78950 - 04/14/06 08:02 PM Re: Hunting with a Lab Mix?
Vic Offline
Spawner

He chases anything that moves. He really likes playing fetch with the pheasant wing. He doesn't seem to have much of a nose though, or he just isn't using it. Any time I toss the wing and he can't see it he just gives up. Anyone here have any advice on this? He is only 11 weeks old now maybe this is something he will develop.

#78951 - 04/20/06 01:19 PM Re: Hunting with a Lab Mix?
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Put pheasant or duck scent on a tennis ball for playing fetch. Once he get's used to it throw it in cover so he can use his nose to find it.
I've been blessed with two "naturals" over the last 20 years.
Whatever you do don't play tug of war with him....I made that mistake on the current dog and she now like to parade with birds and doesn't give the bird up very easily. No problem with a goose but quail and huns ofter are worse for wear.
I'm no pro trainer so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Good luck.
Dave

#78952 - 04/20/06 04:25 PM Re: Hunting with a Lab Mix?
Hatch Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa
Something to try, when you throw into cover with your scented tennis ball or wing preplant the area your throwing into with pups favorite treat. Plant three or four of these in different locations before you start and hopefully the association will be made. A friend of mine did this with his female rottweiler and that dog would topple a stand of russian olive but you'd have a quail, hun, or pheasant to show for it. Good luck and good hunting.

#78953 - 04/20/06 06:02 PM Re: Hunting with a Lab Mix?
Vic Offline
Spawner

Thanks for the feedback.

#78954 - 05/08/06 12:46 AM Re: Hunting with a Lab Mix?
fever Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham, WA
You might want to try a duck hunting forum.

Hundreds of owners, trainers, and breeders there who will load you up with advice.
Gun Dog Forum

And this one for duck hunters.
Duck Hunters

Get a good book like Training Retrievers for Marshes and Meadows / Spencer... It covers it all.

Good luck and enjoy your pup. You don't need to munch on kibble to train a dog, unless you really like the taste. laugh

#78955 - 05/09/06 08:06 PM Re: Hunting with a Lab Mix?
Vic Offline
Spawner

Awesome! Thanks

#78956 - 05/15/06 07:45 PM Re: Hunting with a Lab Mix?
Vic Offline
Spawner

Does any one have here have any good ideas about where to get pigeons for training purposes?

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1089 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |