Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#79041 - 06/28/06 05:53 PM the start of salty's archery career
salty Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
In light of the shrinking (and crowded) hunting opportunities for rifle hunters here in WA, I started applying for Arizona hunts 5-6 years ago with my buddies that live down there. This year, the bunch of us decided that we still weren't getting to hunt enough (all AZ rifle tags are by draw, and decent tags are hard to get), so we did an over-the-counter archery coues whitetail hunt down there in January. I hadn't hunted archery and didn't own a bow, so I just went along as the designated spotter for a whole bunch of spot and stalks. Pretty damn fun. Coues are one of the coolest (and hardest) critters to hunt. After having an awesome time down there, the bunch of us decided that (a) I needed to start hunting archery, and (b) WA and AZ still weren't allowing us to hunt enough, so we should start applying for hunts in other states to build bonus points and eventually get some additional tags.

Given its proximity to AZ we decided to apply in New Mexico in February. We figured that if we only applied for the primo tags, we'd only get drawn and have to pay the out of state fees every several years, and we'd get rewarded with some sweet hunts.

Fast forward to last week, when I get a $760 charge on my credit card and find out we've all drawn a ridiculous tag - late (rut) archery elk in Unit 16A of the Gila Wilderness. 1700+ applicants, 150 tags total, of which 15 are given each year to out-of-state hunters that aren't applying through a guide. We drew 3 of them.

Elation quickly turned to panic when the reality set in that (a) I was in for about $1500 in tag and travel expense, and (b) I still hadn't bought a bow and have no idea how to archery hunt!

So on Sunday I went down to the Sportsmans Warehouse in Federal Way and spent the bulk of my day in there picking the brains of the archery guys and shooting a bunch of bows in their shooting alley.

On Monday I went back and bought my bow - a 34" Ross - and decked it out with all the goodies. I tried the Ross alongside a BowTech Allegiance (among others) and liked the Ross better. Before I get hounded for not trying this bow or that bow, consider (a) there's not much in the way of bow shops near Seattle (e.g. the nearest Mathews dealers are in Everett and Puyallup), and (b) I've got a free week starting this weekend during which I could basically shoot everyday (and obviously I need the practice).

Needless to say, I'm absolutely stoked - I'm shooting and practicing my calling as much as I can, and generally trying to absorb as much info as I can knowing that I'm way behind.

I'll update this thread from time to time to let you all know how it goes. Hopefully I'll have some sweet pics at the end! If you guys have ever hunted elk in NM, let me know how it went.

#79042 - 06/29/06 04:22 PM Re: the start of salty's archery career
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
All I have to say is WOW.... Hey you only live once, enjoy your hunt!!

#79043 - 06/30/06 05:47 PM Re: the start of salty's archery career
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
The scarey thing about your tag is that the odds are about the same is drawing a decent bull tag anywhere in eastern Washington.

#79044 - 07/04/06 01:34 AM Re: the start of salty's archery career
sealice Offline
Parr

Loc: Forks,WA
Hey Salty I know the feeling. I bought one raffle ticket to hunt the Valles Calderas Preserve in New Mexico and won!! I will be bow hunting Sept 9-13 on one of the most awesome places there is to elk hunt!! Never been before so looking for and info I can get my hands on. Sealice

#79045 - 07/06/06 12:08 PM Re: the start of salty's archery career
salty Offline
Returning Adult

#79046 - 07/23/06 10:28 PM Re: the start of salty's archery career
Chrome454 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Drifting Down The Braids Of Sw...
Ross Bows are the [Bleeeeep!]! If I hadn't bought my
mathews switchback I would have picked up the
Ross cr331. Damn nice bow at 600.00 bones!
Chrome

#79047 - 07/24/06 04:34 PM Re: the start of salty's archery career
salty Offline
Returning Adult

Yeah, I really like the Ross. Of course, I don't have a lot of experience shooting a number of different bows, but this bow was pretty easy for me to just pick up and get comfortable with. My cousin shot the Ross and the Switchback XT back to back and wound up buying the Switchback. He thought the cam was a little smoother on the Switchback. I think buying one of the 'big 3' had something to do with his purchase as well.

#79048 - 08/02/06 12:06 AM Re: the start of salty's archery career
Chrome454 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Drifting Down The Braids Of Sw...
Salty-
Big Three?
Are you talking bows? Are you getting dialed in tight with the ross? I can't wait for elk season!
Good Luck
Chrome

#79049 - 08/02/06 02:53 PM Re: the start of salty's archery career
salty Offline
Returning Adult

Hey Chrome - the 'big 3' reference was to Mathews, Hoyt and Bowtech. Seems those are the 'bows to have' these days.

I'm doing all I can to get dialed in with my Ross. I've set up a shooting alley from my driveway through my garage so I can shoot after work, then I try to get out on the weekends and shoot longer ranges. I'm headed to E. WA. this weekend to scout my Observatory hunt and get in a bunch of shooting. I haven't shot any broadheads yet, so I'm going to hit Sportsman's Warehouse on Friday to pick some up. I know they can shoot differently from field tips, so I need to get them dialed in.

Seriously, I feel like I'm cramming for a final exam that's 6 weeks away. Since I'm just getting into archery AND have never hunted elk in the rut, there's so much to learn! Between getting the bow dialed in, watching videos to learn rut strategy, practicing calls, getting all the equipment (still need to get a new pack, broadheads, quiver, camo, etc.), it feels like a full time job! Pretty fun job though, I suppose. Can't wait for September to get here.

Any of you guys have thoughts on the need/usefulness of decoys and scent-lok clothing? A couple things I'm considering, just wondering if they're worth the $$$.

#79050 - 08/02/06 05:15 PM Re: the start of salty's archery career
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
Great tags you guys. I look fwd to hearing about both of your hunts.
I'm still a rifle guy but travel to ID every year with buds because we can hunt over the counter branch bulls with no crowds at all.
I do respect the bow thing though...you guys have to get close!
I'm going to NM to spot for a guy who drew a sheep tag in January. He lives there (Silver City) near the Gila. At this moment I can't remember where his sheep hunt is...now that I think about it it's not sheep it Oryx? at some missle base?
Anyway great luck with your hunts and I do look fwd to your reports and pics!

#79051 - 08/02/06 06:02 PM Re: the start of salty's archery career
salty Offline
Returning Adult

Seastrike - one of the guys I'm going to NM with had an oryx tag last year on the White Sands (?) Missile Base. That will be a killer hunt to tag along on. My understanding is that you can't enter the base beforehand, and they basically have an informational meeting for all the hunters then set you loose all at once. Will be a cool experience.

#79052 - 08/03/06 01:30 PM Re: the start of salty's archery career
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Salty
White Sands is the place. Should be cool.
The guy I'm going with taught me how to elk hunt effectively. He spent a ton of time showing me what to do and not do. I both owe him and want to spot for him on his hunt.
The place I hunt with him in ID doesn't hurt either...no people and plenty of elk and mulies.
My first year there (and first bull) we rode back up to the kill the next morning. I started to put together my Wyoming Saw to quarter the elk and he started laughing. He then pulled out a battery powered sawzall (sp?). Didn't take long to quarter that sucker.
All this on public forest and we only use the horses to bring the meat off the hill.
ps We may have one spot open this year if anyone is interested. Partners son just got shipped off to terrorist camp.

#79053 - 09/05/06 01:10 PM Re: the start of salty's archery career
salty Offline
Returning Adult

Well, here we go! My Observatory elk hunt starts on Friday. To the detriment of my fishing, I've been over three of the last five weekends scouting. I've found a few herds here and there and now feel like I've got some good 'go-to' areas. Heard my first bugles this weekend. That is one of the coolest things around! Can't wait to get back in there with the bow in my hands and chase those critters.

I'll hunt this weekend in Observatory, then come back to work for the week, then head down for my New Mexico elk hunt the following week. Things don't sound good in NM - it's rained like 50 straight days in our unit and the area is a total mess. One of my hunting partners tried to scout this weekend, but the road into our planned spot was under water. They found a ton of elk back in there a few weeks ago - would really suck if we couldn't get back in there.

I've been practicing with the bow quite a bit, and feel confident (at the range, at least) with my broadheads out to 50 yards. Of course, knowing that 'bull fever' will have a big effect at money time, I want to shoot much closer than that. I keep telling myself, 'aim small, miss small'. Just hope I get the opportunity.

#79054 - 09/14/06 01:45 PM Re: the start of salty's archery career
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Salty
Have a great hunt in NM! From what you said the other day you have learned a lot and had some good close encounters. Use those lessons on the NM hunt and I hope you connect. Just remember to BREATH while you are looking at that monster.

#79055 - 09/14/06 04:36 PM Re: the start of salty's archery career
KNOPHISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN,WA,USA
I don't know if it's still there or where you live if it's near, but there used to be a archery shop on 1st ave in Normandy park. Just between Burien & Des Moines. Good luck on yer hunt & take tons of pics.

#79056 - 09/14/06 06:19 PM Re: the start of salty's archery career
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

That shop shut down a year or two ago. Their musuem was great.

#79057 - 09/14/06 07:33 PM Re: the start of salty's archery career
salty Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:
Originally posted by seastrike:
That shop shut down a year or two ago. Their musuem was great.
Figures...unbelievable that there isn't a bow shop in a town this big.

Leaving for AZ tomorrow, then we drive over to NM on Monday...can't wait!!!

KNOFISH - I'm bad at taking pics, but I'll try to remember. I hear it's some awesome country down there. I see you're from my old stomping grounds. You probably buy fishing gear from my old man at Auburn Sports.

Figures that as soon as I leave town, it rains and the coho will be flooding in. Seastrike - try to stay out of jail so we can hit them when I get back. laugh

#79058 - 09/14/06 09:44 PM Re: the start of salty's archery career
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

I'll do my best. Go get em dude.
After we talked I remembered a bugle from last year at something like 25 yards. Talk about the hair standing up on the back of your neck.
You will have a great time.

#79059 - 09/29/06 04:02 PM Re: the start of salty's archery career
JoJo Offline
Returning Adult

Salty,

how was your new mexico hunt?

#79060 - 09/29/06 06:28 PM Re: the start of salty's archery career
jackelope Offline
Smolt

Loc: duvall, wa
mountlake terrace there's a bow shop called the knock point. not sure if that helps you.
my buddy was in their the other day, said they were a nice group of guys, very helpful and they have 20yd shooting range

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 345 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645367 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |