THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#79178 - 09/08/06 05:17 PM Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
Ichtyoid Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia
I carry a Colt .45 revolver with 300gr bearloads in a crossdraw gunbelt. I know another popular caliber is .38 and .44 magnum.

Any preferences here?

#79179 - 09/08/06 06:35 PM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle
well i'd really like to carry a sidearm...but im archery hunting this year frown

but my preferamce is .357

#79180 - 09/08/06 10:14 PM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
sodfarmer Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: sleeping in my duck blind
ever since a cougar came up behind me while I was fishing I always carry my 45 fully loaded
even when I take my boy hiking I carry it you never know what you are going to run into anymore

#79181 - 09/09/06 01:03 AM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
Ruger Blackhawk .41mag

#79182 - 09/09/06 04:29 PM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Always!!!!!!!!!!!!! when hunting, fishing, driving, walking and whereever else I may be.

I prefer large calibers in the woods.

My standard is a S&W model 629 4" with heavy loads. If you can't stop whatever bothers you with this, lay down and let nature take it's course.

#79183 - 09/10/06 02:17 AM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
When Modern hunting with the family I carry a Ruger Super Redhawk in either .44 or .454 cal. My wife carries one and I the other. This year she will most likely carry the .40 cal she got for Christmas. When muzzleloading I carry a .44 in black powder cap and ball. I always figure it is a heck of alot easier to swing around a pistol than a rifle if you get knocked down by some critter. Also the pistol allows for faster follow up shots. Another nice thing about large bore magnums is you can legally kill a big game animal with one. Except the black powder. I also usually have a few bird shot rounds for the "dummy hens" that just stand on branches and watch you. BANG! Grouse for dinner.

#79184 - 09/10/06 10:37 PM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

ok well according to the instructer that taught my friend hunters education class this week. it is illegal to carry a handgun wether it is of legal hunting caliber or not when hunting. even if you have an concieled firearm permit. and that is is stupid to shoot and animal with a handgun. that you couldnt kill and have a very slim chance to even hit an animal attacking.

my reply to him after hearing this was. so you would rather take one shot with a rifle at a charging bear or couger and likely miss if its at close range. then take multiple shots at said animal with a handgun and hit it once or more. even if the handgun is a 40 cal or less.

he told me in return that if he was hunting and seen me carry'n a handgun weather concieled or not. he would be contacting the local cherif or wdfw agent.

all i could do was laugh at him and tell him to find a new job.

and the funny thing was i took that very same class 10 years ago. and i remember the guy saying the very same thing

sad day for future hunters of america.

#79185 - 09/11/06 01:30 AM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the instructor was referring to Modern Rifle season, he is WRONG!! It is perfectly legal.

Muzzle Loader season is a different story. Even blackpowder revolvers are technically not legal.

I have hunted deer during Modern Rifle season with a 44 Mag for years with no issues.

Instructors that don't know what they talking about are a disservice to the people they "teach"

I would call the WDFW and let them know what this guy is "teaching"

#79186 - 09/11/06 12:35 PM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
Ichtyoid Offline
Spawner

This is the law as it applies to carrying a loaded handgun:

RCW 9.41.060 "Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:"
(4) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of the person, if possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business;
(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;
(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper;

#79187 - 09/11/06 01:21 PM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
salty Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Ichy - you might want to check the regs on that...I'm no Game Law attorney, but I don't think citing the RCW gives the complete story.

On page 55 of the Big Game Regs, it tells you that (1) while ML hunting, it's illegal to carry or possess a firearm that doesn't meet the ML specs, and (2) while archery hunting, it's illegal to carry or have in possession any firearm while in the field.

#79188 - 09/11/06 07:58 PM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

yeah the instructer was talking about modern firearm season. he is full of ****.

he also then begun to tell us that hunting with a handgun has been outlawed for many years now in the state of washington. after a game warden was shot and killed.

once again. i took this same class about ten years ago and he was saying the same things then.

#79189 - 09/12/06 12:03 AM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
Ichtyoid Offline
Spawner

Quote:
Originally posted by run_a_bait:
he also then begun to tell us that hunting with a handgun has been outlawed for many years now in the state of washington. after a game warden was shot and killed.
He probably tried to arrest some guy for carrying a sidearm. laugh

#79190 - 09/12/06 12:47 AM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
run_a_bait Offline
Returning Adult

lol yea thats what i figured.

idk i listened to someone ask him a ?. then he answered it totaly wrong and i corrected him and he said well i dont know anyway. all i could say was then why anwser. its ok to not know. but you dont have to act like you do and get people in trouble for telling them something totaly wrong and illegal.

the question was. is it legal to shoot someone elses deer for them. if you are hunting in a party. lets say 4 people hunting togather.
and the guy said yes its legal as longer the other hunter is present when the animal is shot.

#79191 - 09/12/06 02:54 AM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
Elkman Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Anchorage, AK U.S.A
It is legal to carry a hand gun during modern season, as long as it meets the criteria for caliber , and barrel length. I carry "Switch" we me quite a bit. It's a S&W 686+ .357 7-shot,w/6in. stainless barrel. Nice little sidearm. I like to hunt the westside with just that. Good luck to everyone this season.

later
Ryan

#79192 - 09/14/06 05:43 PM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

#79193 - 09/19/06 02:29 AM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
yes

#79194 - 09/21/06 04:13 AM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
Used to. I see no need to carry more weight. I can't think of a time when I would throw my .270 down to draw my 9mm.

#79195 - 09/22/06 03:22 PM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
I do sometimes, only when im in thick brush. Not very often on the east side.

Do you have to be 21 to carry a handgun while hunting?

Also -- The GW that was shot and killed, are you talking about GW Hoffer? That had nothing to do with handguns. The idiot that killed him had a loaded rifle in his truck, tried to unload when he saw Hoffer approach, and accidently shot him through the glass. After that, the moron took off and left Hoffer to die.

My buddy was caught last year with a loaded gun sitting on his seat. He was relaxing, eating some lunch and had just left his rifle there. He couldn't understand why the GW was pissed and gave him a ticket... To be honest, I'd be with the game warden.

-Curtis

#79196 - 09/22/06 06:12 PM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Big Daddy, The simple anwser is yes to carrying a handgun under 21 while hunting. Here are the RCW numbers that explain it completely.
The main law (rcw 9.41.240) states this. Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:
(1) In the person's place of abode;
(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or
(3) On real property under his or her control.
The one big thing about being under 21 when handgun hunting is no store I have ever been in will sell you ammo if it will fit a handgun. Then you also have to beware of cops who have wild pig hairs up the rump and stop someone. They tend to get excited about handguns on people.

#79197 - 09/22/06 08:23 PM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
.40 cal HK USP Compact. I love it as a grouse gun, good for headshots to about 15 yards.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#79198 - 09/25/06 04:44 PM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
Hog King Offline
Parr

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Yep.......always carry a side arm.

Had a cartridge blow out once at the range (factory load) and the case would not extract. Had to use the cleaning rod to tap it out. A total head separation and you might be screwed unless you have a broken case extractor back at camp.

While it's not happened to me in the field, I don't want to be without a needed second/finish-off shot or to be packing a heavy walking stick and run into critters.

Or caught hunkered with my pants around my ankles and my rifle leaning against a stump. I don't know about you, but I haven't practiced shooting a rifle from the pants around the ankles squatting position. Maybe this weekend at the range!

My .41 mag caries comfortably and just might come in handy some day.

Also, I can carry the pistol loaded in the rig should I happen to a opportune moment while on the road.

I've listed to guys argue strongly about whether to carry a sidearm or not & get kinda heated over it. If you wanta carry........carry. If you don't........don't.

No big deal either way.

Get The US Out of the UN and the UN out of the US

#79199 - 10/06/06 10:06 PM Re: Annyone else carry a sidearm while hunting?
MooseMorgan Offline
Alevin

Loc: Port Angeles, Wa
I hunt Archery so I can't carry... I know some that carry illegaly... If something is going to attack me while I am out hunting archery, so be it!!! At least I will die doing something I love...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 535 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |